It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #1

nomoreacneplz HB User
Post My Food Journal

Monday:

Well, I want to keep a journal of all the food I eat every day and maybe over time, I'll see a pattern on which food would cause me acne and which won't. I got all confused after reading all these posts on diet and acne connections. Some contradicts each other and some seems to limit almost every food groups out there. As one user once wrote "all we have is water to drink and lettuce to eat." Well, I'm not just going to drink water and eat lettuce for the rest of my life. So, I'll see if this journal will help me figure out which food causes me acne and which don't.

Breakfast: none

Lunch: chicken and broccoli chinese takeout

Dinner: rice, bitter melon and chopped ribs, fish, string beans, tofu and yellow beans soup, pork chops

Beverages: water (lots)

Snacks: none

Notes: For the last 2 days, I've gotten zits on my neck after I ate 2 bananas 2 nights in a row. Honestly, I think the zits might be due to my period than the bananas, but for now, I won't be eating bananas til I clear up (just in case).

[This message has been edited by nomoreacneplz (edited 08-19-2003).]

Old 08-18-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

banana can cause breakouts to some ppl. its starchy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2003, 06:08 AM   #3

Forcefed4 HB User
Not to discourage you, but I have kept a daily food journal for exactly a year now. It anything, it's only added to the confusion. It's almost impossible to correlate breakouts with what foods I ate...probably because one really has nothing to do with the other.

I tried eliminating all kinds of different foods, such as dairy, high carb, etc. But breakouts still happened, so it only left me more confused. I couldn't see a correlation at all.

Best of luck on your food journal (though saving it on a forum might not be your best bet).

Kev

Old 08-19-2003, 08:03 AM   #4

hockeyman HB User
never skip breakfast, the worst thing you can do

Old 08-19-2003, 08:23 AM   #5

T-zone HB User
Since eliminating cereals and potatoes I have seen a great decreases in the amound of oil on my forehead, neck, back and arms, I relised it after eating this way for a couple of weeks. Its taking a while longer to notice a reduction on my nose but I think this is because it produces so much in comparison to the rest.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:09 PM   #6

vcfsfatigue HB User
one thing that helps me get rid of acne is a pill from the health food store called "garden veggies" by Nature's Way. Its in a green bottle. I still eat foods that cause me acne but taking this pill helps get rid of it.

What I hear causes acne...
Cheese, Milk, Chocolate, Sugar, Candy, Ice Cream

Old 08-19-2003, 08:51 PM   #7

nomoreacneplz HB User
Tuesday:

Breakfast: none (don't wake up in time for it)

Lunch: chicken and broccoli chinese takeout

Dinner: rice, fried fish, string beans, can of corn soup, chicken and veggies

Snacks: 1 apple

[This message has been edited by nomoreacneplz (edited 08-19-2003).]

Old 08-21-2003, 02:08 PM   #8

nomoreacneplz HB User
Wed:

Lunch: chicken and veggies on rice

Dinner: rice, chicken and bitten melon, east melon soup with tofu

Snacks: none (even though, my friend tried to get me godiva chocolate, I refused! Sigh...)

Notes: too early to make any assumptions just yet. You never know how much you miss being able to eat whatever you want until you can't do that anymore. Even food I don't usually care for is making me nostalgic. The other day, I walked by a bakery and saw croissants; usually, I can care less about having a croissant, but now that I can't have it even if I want to is making me a little nostalgic by reminding me of the days when I could have a croissant if I want to.

[This message has been edited by nomoreacneplz (edited 08-21-2003).]

Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 PM   #9

nomoreacneplz HB User
Thurs:

Lunch: beef chow fun

Dinner: rice, bitter melon, bok choy, salty chicken, some sort of nurturing soup my mom made

[This message has been edited by nomoreacneplz (edited 08-22-2003).]

Old 08-21-2003, 11:09 PM   #10

Forcefed4 HB User
Just noticing on your diet, not necessarily for acne, but in general...

The foods you are eating might contain MASSIVE amounts of sodium. A lot of the stuff you list (Chinese take-out, soups, etc) are all loaded with sodium. Be careful with all that, it's not good for your health PERIOD.

Kev

Old 08-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #11

nomoreacneplz HB User
Fri:

Lunch: 1 apple and a piece of ham (I know, this is pathetic)

Dinner: rice, string beans and pork, roast pork, fried fish, carrots-tofu-yellow beans soup

Beverages: water

Notes: Thanks for the headsup on the sodium. Anyways, I checked the salt that we use in the kitchen and lo and behold, it has iodide in it. Although, it's an essential nutrient, derms said that there's a link between iodide and acne, so I went out and bought the same brand of salt, but without the iodide. I threw away the iodide salt, so my parents won't use it by accident.
Also, my lunch was pathetic, today! because seriously, with the comment on the high sodium in chinese takout, I don't know what to eat anymore. I could go get a sandwich, but that has bread, or I could get some pasta or pizza, but that has cheese. Gosh!! We really just have lettuce and water to eat!! I was going to make my own sandwich, but I can't have bread with it, so I ended up eating one piece of ham; I didn't wanna eat anymore after that since without the bread and mayo, it's just weird.
I was at the healthfood store and I was going to get some Green Tea, because it's supposed to be good for you. Then, I changed my mind, because it has caffeine in it (although, less than coffee) and caffeine may cause acne.
Agh!! What can I eat??

Old 08-23-2003, 10:10 AM   #12
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by nomoreacneplz:
I was at the healthfood store and I was going to get some Green Tea, because it's supposed to be good for you. Then, I changed my mind, because it has caffeine in it (although, less than coffee) and caffeine may cause acne.
Agh!! What can I eat??

Exactly the point. If you eliminate all foods that supposedly cause breakouts you will be left with iceberg lettuce and water. I've found taking the diet approach to fixing acne to be very stressful and ineffective. Even if you can figure out what you need to eat, it is too difficult to stick to that diet, and you feel guilty if for some reason you break out again. I tried for a couple months to fix things through diet with little luck, then got on yasmin and now I eat anything I want. I focus on eating foods that are healthy for my whole body, not just skin.

Old 08-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #13

nomoreacneplz HB User
Sat:

Lunch: rice, roast pork and chicken, a ham sandwich with just ham. (yup, I had 2 slices of bread with it), a cup of tropicana o.j.

Dinner: rice, string beans and pork, roast pork, fish, can of corn soup

Beverages: water

Snacks: 1 apple

Notes: I think linnybee's right; I need to start eating food that's healthy for the whole body, that's why I had that cup of O.J. or else I wouldn't have drank it, because I read somewhere on this board that orange is acidic and yada yada...it's bad. Blah. Anyways, I need to relax on this food thing, or else I'll cut out everything and end up deprived of neccessary nutrients and vitamins. Still no dairy, though, because that's the one thing that I think can really cause me acne, especially ice cream. I was so tempted to buy Godiva biscuits today--it looks so tasty--but I didn't. Discipline, girl.

[This message has been edited by nomoreacneplz (edited 08-24-2003).]

Old 08-23-2003, 10:57 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

jennymc41 HB User
get a food test at a naturalpath place. i got one and it tells what foods that im sensitve to ... that way you dont have to cut out everything you eat . it tells you what foods you should avoid and what foods you can eat

Closed Thread