It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 05:51 PM   #1

darkangel HB User
Post who owns a dog?

ever since i got my dog, my skin has been going crazy. ive never had clear skin since then, not even for a day. i hope this is just a coincidence because i love my dog very much. but can anyone relate? maybe my acne is an allergic reaction from my dog.

any replies would be greatly appreciated
thanks

DA

Old 08-11-2003, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
It could be an allergy, but I doubt it. It's probably just a coincidence, I think most allergic reactions to pet dander include sneezing, running nose, itchy eyes etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 06:50 AM   #3

pearpen27 HB User
DA--- I got my dog about a year ago and I have noticed that after I pet and play with her, my skin feels really dry and I have to put a lot of lotion on. do you pet your dog and then touch your face? I doubt it but perhaps you should wash your hands after playing with your dog. Does your dog sleep on your bed? Make sure you wipe down your sheets before getting in.

I doubt your dog is making your skin break out but I wouldn't let it rub its fur on your face. Like I said, after I pet my dog, my hands feel really dry...

Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 AM   #4

knut HB User
should go to an allergist and get tested.
I did; and found out that I was allergic to my dog. I've had her for about 7 years. Don't know if it's a contributing factor or not; but you could be allergic. Just one ***** test would tell you.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:38 AM   #5

tariel HB User
I have always had acne ever since the beginning of erratic hormonal changes, despite a dog or not. I just don't let my dog lick my face though. I don't want her to be consuming any of the medicated stuff I put on top of my zits.

[This message has been edited by tariel (edited 08-12-2003).]

Old 08-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #6

hancho HB User
thru my experience, i've concluded that my dog's saliva causes this painful cyst like acne on whereever the saliva came contact to. I still have my dog but i do not let her lick me, i do not let her jump on my bed or my chair but i still love my dog.

Old 08-25-2003, 03:01 AM   #7

ShivaShakti HB User
I've had dogs my whole life. I've never gone more than a few months without one. However, I'm not allergic, and my brother doesn't have acne, so I can't relate here. It's most likely a coincidence.

Namaste!

Old 04-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
(female)

purplepurple1 HB User
Re: who owns a dog?

ever since i got a dog, which i found out im allergic to, i have been breaking out too....

Old 04-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #9
(female)

jazmella HB User

I've had my dog for almost 10 years, and haven't noticed any correlation between acne and my baby.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #10

boulder21 HB User

Here's my take on it:

I plan to make a more in depth post later but...

Many people say that after they drink they get acne, right! Myself included. Alcohol is a vasodilater (it dilates your blood vesels) and has a tendency to give people a flushed look. Once your face is flushed, increased blood flow also increases oil production and increased oil production leads to clogged pores which leads to acne.

What does this have to do with your post about your dog? Well, if you are allergic to the protien in pet dander your body will produce histamine to try and defend itself. Histamine is also a vasodilater and also tends to produce a flushed face which increaes blood flow and oil production...

So if you are allergic maybe that is what's happening. After making observations for a few months I noticed that I get acne after (1) drinking and (2) after eating foods high in histamine. What foods are high in histamine? Do an internet search but three that give me the biggest flush (which results in acne) are cheese, tomatoes, and yogurt.

Why doesn't alcohol and histamine give everyone acne? Cause people with acne prone skin have larger than normal glands which produce more oil.

This is all personal observations and I believe is a contributing factor to my acne. I asked an Allergist (MD) about this and he said this theory is very possible.

Last edited by boulder21; 04-10-2005 at 08:21 AM.

Closed Thread