It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #1

whatever02 HB User
Post Book: The acne cure

Well.........does it have the cure? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 06-27-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
I was going to make an update, but I'll just post on this thread. The book, "The Acne Cure" doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention on this board, and that's understandable, b/c I think we are all sick and tired of books, websites, products, etc, touting the next great "cure", and sinking our money into yet another disappointment. I started the program in this book, followed it for a week, then had to travel for work for a week where the logistics of my hotel room made it impossible to fully follow the program. I have done just about another full week of the program since getting home.

I am the happiest with this method out of all the methods i've tried over the past few years. No, i am not cured in two weeks, and i don't know if i'll be cured after 6 weeks, which is how long the book instructs ppl to use the method at first. i do know i have had far less cysts/nodules since starting the program. i did get a couple while i was away, and broke out a bit on my forehead in small pink bumps, but it was also the most stressful week of the year for me, and i worked 80 hours.

Right now, i am getting 2 semi-painful zits where i would normally get cysts, and they are coming quietly to the surface. i really believe that they would have been nasty, under the surface infections, if not for the The Acne Cure.

My cheeks are smoother, and better textured than they've looked in ages, and my pores even seem to be shrinking a bit. My forehead, which had looked pretty bumpy for a couple weeks is looking better, and all the zits are shrinking. This is all taking place despite super high temperatures and nasty humidity where i live, which is usually good for creating puffiness, sweaty zits, and inflammation.

I would recommend the book for anyone to read and try. I will post the method of facial cleansing/treatment here, but i really think the book is worth purchasing and reading. i don't agree with every last statement in the book, but when did one thing ever make everybody happy? The book does however give sound, documented, and well explained background and advice about acne. And the one thing i truly liked about it was that Dr. Dubrow, the author at one point acknowledges that all programs tell the acne sufferer not to pick, but that it's practically impossible not to pick and pop, and that a better solution is to give the acne sufferer a way towards skin with nothing to pick. About time somebody recognized how impossible it is to stop picking!
Anyway, here's the regimen:

AM
-Dampen face with warm water and spread 2% salicylic acid product all over affected areas
-Rinse off, and repeat procedure with 10% glycolic product
-moisturize

PM
-follow same procedures as AM with salicylic & glycolic acids
-cool face with an ice cube, running the ice cube over the affected areas, and apply a BP cream, between 2.5-5% BP on affected areas. Use an ice pack over the affected area for 10 minutes to reduce inflammation, thereby calming, and opening pores so BP can do its work.

When i need to spend time in the heat, i do the ice pack for 10 minutes more than once a day, just to give my skin some relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2003, 12:08 PM   #3

daisywoo HB User
Question

i just finished reading the book, and also picked up paula begoun, don't go to the cosmetic counter without me, and i absolutely can not figure out exactly what products to use? i think i've found one, and then go to look in her book, and it has bad comments, could you please tell me the products you chose to use? the ones he recommends in the acne cure, are all given bad ratings by her, help, i'm afraid to start!

Old 06-27-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
let's see...for salicylic acid, i'm using Neutrogena's Clear Pore Treatment, which is actually a gel that's supposed to be left on overnight, but i'm smearing it around my wet face and rinsing if off after a few minutes. For now, the glycolic acid product i'm using is also Neutrogena- Pore Refining Toner, i think it's called, but the acid concentration probably isn't high enough, so i'm going to switch to Alpha Hydrox Oil Free Treatment. I don't know how Paula feels about it, but i do know that it's only about $10, and i've never heard anything bad about it.
As for BP, i'm using Neutrogena On the Spot Acne Treatment.

i don't know if it's possible to fully avoid any and all "bad" ingredients...i think you just have to go with the lesser evil.

Old 06-27-2003, 02:16 PM   #5

Cerritos HB User
Cool

Hey sedulous, i'm a little confused here, do you apply the BP and then cool the area with a Ice Pack? Or do you cool the area first and then apply the ice pack? thanks

Old 09-01-2003, 01:42 AM   #6

stefhoney HB User
Cerritos, both. You run an ice cube over the area after you wash off the salicylic acid, then get the BP you've kept in the fridge to keep cool, and apply it all over the affected area. Put an ice pack over the affected area for 10 minutes to ensure the BP is properly absorbed by the skin. Then wipe off excess BP and let face dry leaving the BP residue overnight.

Old 09-01-2003, 01:45 AM   #7

stefhoney HB User
Cerritos, both. Run an ice cube over the affected area after washing off the salicylic acid wash. Get the BP you kept in the fridge to keep cool and apply onto affected area. Then use an ice pack onto the area to ensure that the BP is properly absorbed by the skin.

How's the regimen working for you so far?

Closed Thread