It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2003, 12:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Post Update on The Acne Cure

I've been more or less following the Acne Cure for 4 days now. The first two days, i didn't use any glycolic acid, since i was too busy roaming the streets trying to find a good product. i finally ended up buying a Neutrogena toner with glycolic acid. So i basically adhere to the routine in "The Acne Cure" (book), but i suspect my toner has less than 10% glycolic acid. i reallllllllly like the results so far! i'm not clear, but NOTHING new has developed or erupted. The way things have been the past 2.5 months, i would've expected a couple new cysts to be simmering along. i had a couple cysts on their way, and they seem to be dying a slow and gentle death w/o coming to the surface. Also, i don't have those flakey dry patches on top of zits anymore. i even looked in a couple mirrors where my skin usually looks awful, and while it doesn't look great, there's been a noticeable improvement.
My routine is this:
AM
-Dampen face with warm water
-Rub dime sized glob of 2% salicylic acid lotion into skin
-rinse after 2-5 minutes
-use glycolic acid toner
-moisturize w/ 2-3 drops jojoba oil

PM
-follow same steps with salicylic and glycolic acids
-rub ice cube over face
-rub in usual amount of 2.5% BP cream
-cool face with cold pack for 10 minutes (i use one of those refreezable thingies you can keep in the freezer)

Anyone whose read The Acne Cure can see i've made a couple changes, mostly due to not being able to find the products right away, but this seems to be working fine. i'm starting to get kind of excited actually, and imagine what it might be like with clear skin.

If what i'm doing doesn't do the trick, then i'll adhere rigidly to the program the book lays out, and go from there. But already, my skin looks better. Not only b/c it's clearing a bit, and the cysts are on their way out, but just overall it looks healthier.

[This message has been edited by sedulous (edited 06-06-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #2

chemicaldreamer HB User
Why aren't you adhering to the program anyways? Instead of doing your own thing, and then using the program as the last resort? If anything, i would follow what you read, and if that doesn't work, THEN modify it for yourself.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
To answer your question chemical, i'm not rigidly following the program b/c i couldn't get the right product right away, didn't have the money for it anyway, and i'll be traveling for work soon and don't have time to be traipsing the world in search of the product. i'm really close to exactitude in following the program anyway.

And the update is: it's working great! It's only been about a week, and i still have a lot of little tiny bumps like before, but quite a few are disappearing also. I had a couple of cysts on my chin, and they are slowly disappearing, and the swelling is down. My face in general feels a lot smoother and softer, and best of all- in the week that's gone by since i started the program, NOTHING NEW HAS ERUPTED! That in itself is FABULOUS, and will make me continue for the whole recommended 6 weeks, even if there are no other improvements. It's great to get up in the morning with a little more confidence b/c i don't have any new zits to worry about. It's ok that the existing acne is a little difficult, i haven't lost hope that it'll subside, and i love, love, love that no new little nasties are sprouting up.

[This message has been edited by sedulous (edited 06-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by sedulous (edited 06-09-2003).]

Old 06-09-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Just came back from a flourescently lit mirror, and i am definitely staying on this program! i even look better in the Big Bad Mirror! i love love love that i have no new cysts forming like i usually would, and the stuff that was there is going away painlessly and quietly, and i don't have any weird blotchiness or peeling.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:32 PM   #5

jayjay76 HB User
What is this book that you are talking about??

Kristen

Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 PM   #6

chemicaldreamer HB User
The book is called Acne Cure... go to chapters website and do a search for it.

As for sedulous, for the Neutrogena toner with glycolic acid, are you using the one in the blue bottle? I have a hard time with finding a glycolic treatment as well, since Neutrogena doesn't list what % it is.

Old 06-10-2003, 05:21 PM   #7
(female)

Leith01 HB User
Sedulous,

Is your acne primarily cystic? How old are you and how long have you had acne? What other things have you tried before?

I understand the program is 6 weeks; but then what? Once you stop does it all just come back?

Thanks,

L.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
chemicaldreamer: It's a white bottle, with a blue rectangle-like logo on it. i meant to call the 800 number Neutrogena gives to find out the glycolic acid %, but i haven't got around to it. It's a temporary thing anyway. When i get back from traveling, i'm going to get Aqua Glycolic, and start using that. i love neutrogena products, but their oil free acne wash, and this toner both contain fragrance. Like i said before, nothing new is erupted (except for one area on my neck that i wasn't treating), but it feels like the fragrance is irritating me a bit.

Leith: i'm 26. i guess acne more or less started for me when i was 13, but it wasn't such a huge deal. i did the derm route a couple times through high school, and i think at that point my skin probably would have gotten better if i'd just followed a simper, gentler routine, instead of trying to dry out my skin and stuff. Mostly i just had lots and lots and lots of closed comedones. Cystic acne came along in college, and i had it beat pretty well except for the occasional cyst until recently when i started the pill (for reasons other than acne) which made it worse. i'm still in the first 3 months using this pill, but i'd like to beat the acne w/o trying to swap pills and such, b/c i don't want to rely on a bcp for acne control.

After the 6 weeks, you just revert to a good skin-cleansing routine. They recommend using a glycolic acid cleanser. If this works, what i'll probably do is clean with glycolic acid, and at night use a BHA product, and only use BP as needed. That's finger crossed though.

So far, i'm quite happy with how it's working out. i had a cyst on my chin that was shaping up to be a doozy, and it's slowly dying. It's weird, but little whiteheads keep appearing and healing on the surface of this cyst. It's certainly dying a slow death, but i'm just glad it's dying. i had two others that were just getting started, way under when i started out, and they're shrinking by the day.

The best part of all this is that this is the most stressful part of the year for me, and i haven't exercised, or eaten as well as usual, and it's still working!! My sister is doing the same program and when i talked to her on the phone, she had the same success so far...a little clearing, but NOTHING NEW happening!

Old 06-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Sorry Leith! i got carried away and didn't answer your whole question lol! i've tried pretty much all OTC products, a few rounds of Retin-A, a bunch of prescription topicals, and oral antibiotics. i swore off derms a few years ago, because without fail, their regimens made my skin worse. i would hold out, thinking it was the darkness before the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak, just to suffer for 6 months with acne and skin problems worse than i had originally sought treatment for. It inevitable ended that i would clear up to the point where i looked like i did when i first went to the derm's office, and i'd be thrilled with that. i haven't done tazorac or azelaic acid, nor have i done accutane, which isn't an option for me, as 3 doctors have specifically said i should never take it, for a few reasons.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:09 AM   #10

Frogjive HB User
I use the Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Creme and it has 10% glycolic acid in it.

I would recommend you getting that if you are still having difficultly in finding a product.

fj

Old 06-11-2003, 09:33 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
thanks frogjive!
where'd you find it?

Old 06-11-2003, 10:26 AM   #12

Frogjive HB User
I bought mine at Walmart, but I am sure you can find it at drugstores and such.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #13

chemicaldreamer HB User
Quote:
oil free acne wash
The orange stuff? I'm using this, and it has the worst smell of all the neutrogena product i'm using. I'm surprised it has fragrance int it.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
lol, i guess they never guaranteed it'd be a *good* fragrance. i'm just going off the ingredients list.

Old 06-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #15

Oinkoink HB User
Another thing (hehe)
Look at the difference in that link! The link says glycolic acid only in the morning, benzoyl only in the evening! Did I understand the program wrong? I thought the book said SA and GA in he morning, SA/GA/BP at night... maybe he has changed his regimen? The book on the webpage looks black, and mine is blue.. maybe it is a new edition?
hmmmm

Closed Thread