It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #1

daisyanddolly HB User
Post Make-up

Whenever I put foundation on to cover up my acne, it always looks cakey and fake. I use CoverGirl. I want a foundation that will truly hide my blemishes and make it look like I don't have too much or any on at all. What are the foundations like this that work for you guys, but at the same time won't clog pores and is oil-free? Oh, and is also not that expensive.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:59 PM   #2

Beams222 HB User
You should try Revlon's Colorstay foundation. There's one that's full coverage and one that's sheer. Go for the sheer one because it's not cakey like the full coverage one. After you put it on, get a small makeup brush and put more foundation on your blemishes to cover them up. Another cheap one is from Maybelline. I don't remember which foundation it is but it's the oil-free one in a bottle. It's super cheap and has pretty good coverage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
(female)

sourpunch HB User
i never really liked revelon colorstay. i think its too liquidy-ish, and runs on your face. ive been using max factor facefinity or over a year now and i like it! it comes on a little thicker, but blends in nice. and it does lasts long. if you dont buy it onsale, its about 10bucks or so, but ive been able to get mine for only $5...pretty cheap, id say!!!!

Old 08-10-2003, 04:04 AM   #4
(female)

tiramasu HB User
Ive been using MAC studio fix foundation (it's a dry powder). i have pretty oily skin and this stuff is a god send to me! it provides excellent coverage for redmarks keeps you matte for quite a while and lasts all day. i've tried EVERY brand of make up under the sun and nothing comes close to this (except maybe shisheido pureness compact,but still prefer mac). What's more, it comes in a million different shades so you can easily match it up to your actual skin colour, no tide marks! and its non-comedogenic.

if they ever stop making it i'll CRY.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran

FuzzyWuzzy HB User
Im using Mac Sutdio fix, and its the best. Goes on so smoothly. Using ad sponge to cover you face is so much easier and faster than ure finger with luquid makeup.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:04 PM   #6

Eltekeh HB User
I used to use Estee Lauder oil-free foundation but they stopped making it about 2 years ago so I switched to Clinique (Stay True Makeup - Oil Free). It is about 17-18 dollars a bottle so somewhat pricey but not too bad, lasts me a long time. I find it at my local department store cosmetics counter. I apply it with my fingers because I was never very good with the sponge. I try to spread it thinly and evenly over my face, but I never go over my nose or my inner cheek area right next to my nose and just under my eyes (I think keeping it off that area helps make it look less fake/cakey - due to all the creases and big pores). I just sort of blend it in around all other face areas and it helps to even out my skin tone which is spotchy even without pimples. To cover the blemishes I take a cotton swab and dip it into the top of the bottle where there is still some foundation stuck to it from when I just poured it onto my finger. (So there is just a bit of foundation on the swab - it's not doused with the stuff). Then I dab at the pimple and blend with the swab or my finger until it is pretty decently covered up. I finish with Estee Lauder loose powder applied with a brush. That really evens out my skin and it looks pretty good - at least for the first 2-3 hours. During the day I blot my face with napkins or paper towels or blotting papers - anything that will remove the oil but nothing that is too "fuzzy." I don't like the feeling that little fibers are being left on my skin. I wish they made blotting papers bigger than the business card sizes though. I can go through 5 or 6 of those just to cover my whole face. (I find those at Bath & Body Works). Anyway, even though I don't look nearly as good by the end of the day, it's not like it's caked or running or really nasty either. When I am not breaking out too bad I do use less makeup in general and it is of course much easier and faster to apply.
I don't think we get the MAC makeup in the states, I've never heard of it. Maybe I'll check online.
I read a past post - I think "the best makeup ever" was the topic - in which many ladies said Aromaleigh makeup was really great.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:50 PM   #7

like_whoa HB User
Thumbs up

Try Neutrogena Skin Clearing foundation!
And to cover up my ugly scars....DERMABLEND. it works wonders! I can't go one day w/o it!

Old 08-11-2003, 05:07 PM   #8
(female)

zusanna HB User
I use Loreal's Quickstick. It's not cakey and it covers really good. It's quick and easy and also oil-free, non comedogenic (sp?), and non acnegenic. So it won't clog your pores and make you break out. It cost's about $10 for a tube and it usually lasts me quite awhile, so it's not expensive. Just thought I'd share .

Old 08-12-2003, 07:13 AM   #9

pearpen27 HB User
I recommend anything BUT CoverGirl... I made the mistake of picking some of this up at the grocery store one night cause I was out of foundation for the next morning. CoverGirl is cheap grocery store make-up and it is going to treat your face like cheap grocery store makeup would--- badly :-(

When it comes to make-up, it is worth it to splurge a little--- not a lot but just a little. Honestly Clinique is not very good makeup for the price--- While their pressed blushes are good, you can get the same quality for about 5 to 10 bucks cheaper depending on the product.

Almay is one of the best make-ups and very resonably priced. I think Almay is a sister product to one of the more expensive brands, like Loreal or something. Neutragena also makes good make up and is resonably priced.

But really, anything is better than CoverGirl, and if you have 10 bucks and you want a shirt from the Gap but need foundation, spend the 10 bucks on the better foundation and wait on the shirt... it is not worth it to try and save money by buying cheap makeup. And really, you don't have to spend a lot for good quality.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #10

SomewhereInIdaho HB User
Hi,
I wear Dermablend and it works wonderful for me! I have had acne since I was 13, I'am 40 now and I used the cheap drugstore foundations for years to cover up my acne and scarring...I learned about dermablend a few months ago and I have not had the terrible breakouts that I had for years using the other brands. I wish I had known about this sooner!!
It takes some time to get used to applying it but it is so worth the time and money to use.
Hope this helps
Jodi

Old 08-14-2003, 08:33 PM   #11

Auberdine HB User
I really like Maybelline Oil-Free Make-up. It's about 6 bucks and makes your face look smoother and is medium coverage. I love it!

Old 08-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #12

penguin chick HB User
L'Oreal Air Wear is great. No oil and wont cause breakouts or clog pores. It's a foundation I put on before using my Maybelline concealer. After the concealer I see if I need a third step-Clinique Matte powder. With the aid of all 3 I can fake some nice skin.

Maybe one day all I'll have to do is put on some foundation to even out skin tone opposed to hide flaws.

------------------
Anything worth it takes time.

Old 08-14-2003, 11:34 PM   #13

legalhottie23 HB User
Thumbs up

Mac Studio-Fix works great. Even better is the Mac Pro-Preferred White Matte Foundation, but it is really hard to come by, they only sold it in Canada and across seas for a while.

[This message has been edited by legalhottie23 (edited 08-15-2003).]

Old 08-15-2003, 12:15 PM   #14

littleblondie2202 HB User
Smile

Almay Skin Stays Clean Liquid Makeup
My Derm recommended this, and it blends nicely with the skin for a reasonable price, and covers my acne wonderfully.
Good luck!

Old 08-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #15

littleblondie2202 HB User
Smile

Almay Skin Stays Clean Liquid Makeup
My Derm recommended this, and it blends nicely with the skin for a reasonable price, and covers my acne wonderfully. As for powders and Covergirl liquid powder, try to stay away - it will clog your pores!
Good luck!

Closed Thread