It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 07:42 AM   #1

bpatrick HB User
Post BHA or BP causing Insomnia ?

Does BHA and/or BP cause Insomnia ?
Iíve been waking with a surge of energy and havenít been able to go back to sleep even with a lot of sleeping medication that usually works preety well. Anyone else experience more energy in the night from this stuff and have a hard time sleeping ?

I normally take B vitamins, E, C , Zinc , Alpha Lipoic Acid, MSM , NADH, and A. It's usually a balancing act for me between sleeping and having clear skin. Alpha Lipoic Acid , MSM and NADH can cause a person to have insomnia according to the book MINDBOOSTERS and my own experience. But using BHA and BP seems to have added another twist on the balancing act.

Before I lift weithts I take OKG, Amino Strength and Creatine.
After I lift weights I take HMB , Vanadyl Sulfate and BHAs for recovery.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:09 AM   #2

sleuthy HB User
Wow. I would think insomnia may have more to do with the creatine. It also has a lot to do with what time you work out. If you are the kind of person who gets energized by working out, try to lift weights only in the AM or early PM.
I agree with you about the MSM, that stuff would cause me to wake up several times a night with TONS of energy! It was so hard to fall back asleep.
But I've been doing the BHA/BP thing every night for a while now and have not experienced any sleeping problems.
Maybe you are nervous or excited about waking up with improved skin from the BHA/BP?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
(male)

FargoUT HB User
You take BHAs after your workout?? What do you mean by this? BHA on this board refers to Beta Hydroxy Acids, which is Salicylic acid. This is not taken internally. So you'll have to clarify. BP is Benzoyl Peroxide, also not taken internally.

BHAs and BPs do not cause insomnia so far as I can tell. I use both and never have a hard time sleeping. The B vitamins, if taken before bed, may be the culprit, as they are energy-boosting vitamins. Creatine, also, can cause this insomnia, although I've found taking Creatine makes me more sleepy at night. I don't know about MSM myself. I guess it could have something to do with it. It sounds like you may be overloading your body with supplements that your internal chemistry has been thrown out of whack.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #4

bpatrick HB User
I meant BCAAs. Branched Chain Amino Acids. They are the essential aminos leucine, isoleucine, and valine. I just read that BCAAs increase energy levels. I take a couple (donít remember how many mg) after I work out for recovery. Maybe Iíll forgoe the BCAA. A word about HMB for any weight lifters in the crows. It causes my skin to break out. So itís a real battle. I work out and run to help me sleep Iíve had problems sleeping for over 20 years. It really seemed like the BHA and/or BP has had an effect on my sleep starting from the second night I used them. But itís good to know that no one else seems to have the problem. But most people donít have trouble sleeping anyway. Iíll use them only in the morning and see how that works and pass on the BCAA. For anyone lifting weights I ate yogurt right before bed. The protein in it is called Casseiin or something like that. It is abosord much more slowly than other protein. Itís supposed to be better to allow the protein to abosorb slowly throughout the night for recover. I woke this morning with much less muscle sorness than usual but slept not quite so well. I think Iím going to forgoe the HMB, BCAA and the Vanadyl Sulfate and eat yogurt before bed and see how that works and also only use the BHA and BP in the morning.
Anyway. Thanks for the tips.

Old 09-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #5

bpatrick HB User
Here's a quote on BCAAs from a prominent men's fitness magazine.

"Noreen says BCAAs may provide a boost to you mentally by simply helping to bar tryptophan from entering the brain, where it is transformed into serotonin, a chemical neurotransmitter that causes sleepiness. "The data is pretty clear that BCAAs could offset an increased production of serotonin, keeping you mentally sharp during prolonged endurance exercise," he explains. "

That could be the culprit or a culprit in losing sleep.

Closed Thread