It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 04:33 PM   #1

anth0r HB User
Post Moisturizing self-defeating

I've learned something interesting at my dermatologist yesterday..

When you're on a topical Retinoid such as Retin-A Micro it's supposed to make your skin peel in an attempt to bring up the acne infection that is below the epidermis (visible layer of skin) to treat it and if it's successful you're left with a nice new layer of skin.

If you're using moisturizers while on a Retinoid it's self-defeating because the moisturizer will only delay the peeling process which is key to Retinoid products, this will prolong the time untill you begin to see results.

Make sense? I think so!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM   #2

Big_Wreck HB User
I agree with you totaly, i think people should avoid moisturizers whenever possible, unfortunately retin-a is so drying its almost impossible not to moisturize, especially if you have to continually use it. i have used it for 2 years now. I only use it on acne areas though. But I have to moistuize, or else people will see me walking about with my face peeling off..lol...

but if u can get away with not doing it, then u shouldn't

goodluck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #3

anth0r HB User
Exactly, Retin-A made my face red, but that went away and my face just feels a little tight. It's only the second week too!

Side effects will decrease or go away as you get further into your treatment, so tough it up and resist moisturizers

Old 09-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #4

Frogjive HB User
I do not know. I would not have made it through using retin a for the first month if I had not of moisturized. I would just use retin a at night and then wash my face and moisturize in the morning. I use an exfoilating wash to rid my face of the dry skin. I only use it now every other night.
If you can go without moisturizing then that is great but doing both did not affect the results I got from retin a.
just my 2 cents
fj

Closed Thread