It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 03:57 PM   #1

iamtrying HB User
Question success with TAZORAC? (or other retinoids)

Hi, I just want some feedback from anyone here that's using or used Tazorac for over a month or two. (Anyone that's used similar things like Retin A please feel free to respond)
I've been on Tazorac .05% cream for almost 4 weeks and have been breaking out badly, even more than usual. The doctor warned me that this "initial breakout" would happen and then would start improving after 4 to 6 weeks..and I know it's only been about 4 but i'm starting to get discouraged.
So I could really use some support, encouraging stories, etc from tazorac users (or retin a)
I apply Tazorac every night and wash it off after 5 minutes (the doc told me to do this to prevent skin irritation. If i leave it on overnight my skin gets incredibly red, itchy, etc and he said it should work this way just as well)
anyway i'm not really having major skin irritation..sometimes my face gets a little red or flushed, but nothing too bad.
my main problem is the horrible breakouts..so i'm guessing i'm in the breakout period? cause it's about week 4
anyway i'm also using Klaron (antibacterial) in the mornings and taking Minocycline 100mg once per day and Ortho tri cycline.
please help me out and share any stories, experiences (preferably good ones)..oh yeah and like i said before i don't really want to hear from people that used it for like 3 weeks and quit..i want to know the results from people that used it for at least 2 months please thank you guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 04:28 PM   #2

Don't b Down HB User
iamtrying: ive also been on the taz for awhile now...6 weeks about...i know what ur talking about with that 4-5 week period. i broke out pretty bad around then but i seem to be doing better now(hopefully). At the same time, i think im starting to see some pretty good improvement in some areas, but i wouldn't be surprised if im still in the breakout period. Try not to worry about it because alotta ppl i've heard from say that the tide starts to turn around week 8 and that then they see very rapid improvement. All the best to ya

Old 08-31-2003, 06:46 PM   #3

iamtrying HB User
thanks so much for that, it's good to know that there is some hope. anyone else use tazorac or knows people that do? did anyone have success with retinoids after the breakout period? thanks guys

Old 08-31-2003, 07:50 PM   #4
(male)

BlueSky9949 HB User
I used Tazorac .05% gel for about two months or so and then I was switched to .1% gel after my skin became tolerant. I did have a horrible breakout around the one or two month mark along with a long period of extreme itchiness, redness and peeling. I have been using it for almost 6 months now. As much as I love Tazorac and how it has completely cleared my acne, the initial breakout was so bad that it did leave scars. All shallow indented, that my boyfriend tells me he doesn't even notice them. so I'm not sure whether or not they'll go away. I'm being hopeful, but the .1% gel isn't even making my skin red or peel anymore. I just hope that I haven't become too tolerant.

Old 09-01-2003, 05:31 AM   #5

iamtrying HB User
thanks anybody else?

Old 09-01-2003, 12:17 PM   #6

iamtrying HB User
how about retin a micro users (or differin)..if u used it for 2-3 months what results did u get? thanks

Old 09-01-2003, 12:43 PM   #7
(female)

Banana1214 HB User
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I used Taz .1% gel for about 5 months. The first month, it was terrible, like all of you said. The second and third month, things started getting a very tiny bit better, and by the fourth month my skin was worse than ever. I absolutely hated that stuff. It made my skin red and peely all the time and felt greasy on my skin as well. Good luck with it; I hope it works for somebody.
#2 due 8/30/07... another boy!

Devlin Michael born May 20, 2005

Old 09-01-2003, 01:31 PM   #8

iamtrying HB User
thanks..wow that would really suck. what are u using now? well i think for me this tazorac is pretty much the last resort for me before accutane, because the doctor said it was the strongest topical he had. so basically i'm gonna give it 2-3 months and if it doesn't start improving by the end of the second month like it said on the pamphlet i'll probably take accutane.
this is my first time using a topical retinoid consistently. (i've been prescribed retin a micro before, a long time ago, but i used it wrong and quit way too early so that doesn't really count i guess). i just figured with all the side effects of accutane (or at least the risk of them ) i should at least give this a really good chance to work ( 2-3 months). that way i can tell myself that accutane really was my last resort. and who knows, maybe (Hopefully!) tazorac will work for me. The derm seemed pretty confident in it and told me to be patient, so i'm trying even though this is sooo hard.
I mean my skin as been fairly clear for the past 2-3 years (i'm 21 now). And starting a few months ago it just randomly started to break out badly, so here i am.
Before i started tazorac my acne i guess could be classified as moderate. It was mostly (90 %) on and around my chin and on the sides of my face. My forehead was fairly clear, but had a lot of little bumps. And my checks were fairly clear, with the exceptional few bumps. I also had mild/mod acne on my chest, shoulders, and back, so i'm using tazorac on that too.
Anyway my back acne has improved a lot..i don't know if because of tazorac or just on its own. the chest acne is the same, if not worse. And my neck is breaking out for some reason which is strange.
I feel like i'm doing everything correctly in terms of using tazorac. I use it once per day before bed. I wash with a gentle cleanser (cetaphil liquid), wait 30-40 minutes, and then apply a pea size amount to my face, dabbing it on my forehead, sides of face and chin, and just a tiny bit on the cheeks close to my nose. Then after 3-5 minutes i rinse it off and that's it. I don't rinse off the tazorac on my back and chest because it's not as sensitive so it's fine. anyway my skin itself (aside from the acne lol)is ok. It's not peeling or too irritated..sometimes just a bit red or a little dry. So i feel like i'm doing everything i possibly can correctly. I also try to stay out of the sun and when i absolutely have to be in the sun (like walking to classes at the university) i apply a 30spf noncomedogenic oil free sunscreen for sensitive skin.
All in all, i'm doing all i can.....so if this doesn't work it woun't be my fault. But i'm breaking out pretty badly right now. Nothing horribly hideous or anything..but just a lot more bumps under the skin, some of which surface. I've noticed that they seem to come to a head somewhat faster now, unless it's just my imagination..so maybe it's a sign it's working? what do u guys think? Anyway the most helpful thing to keep going with this is to get feedback from other people on this medicine or similar ones, so please help me out I have another derm appointment in about a week and see what he says..but i'm pretty sure he'll just tell me to be patient and wait another month or two which i HATE! lol

Old 09-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #9

iamtrying HB User
ok i changed my mind..the breakouts are horribly hideous! it's like a million big and little bumps on and around my chin and pimples! is this normal? is it the tazorac bringing everything up?

Old 09-01-2003, 02:14 PM   #10

Don't b Down HB User

iamtrying: i read ur long post and i was so surprised by how similar your story is too mine (cept ima guy !)...Just like you, this is probably my last ditch effort before accutane...scary isnt it?... also, i tried retin-a but i also was inconsistent and then quit early like you . imma stick with this for 3 months no matter what (yikes alrdy half way there!) and then i'll take it from there... I would also probably classify my acne as moderate on my face (by no means a pretty site)..but it is pretty horrible on my chest and has been that way for a long time now Makes me so mad i put me fist through the wall, well actualy into the wall....hhaha well anyways i also have experienced little side effects like u described, i avoid the sun, aply same kind of sunscreen (and will be when walkin to classes) wow this is gettin freaky and i take mino too....lol
well hope all the best for you and in conclusion, we are long lost relatives lol jp

[This message has been edited by Don't b Down (edited 09-01-2003).]

Old 09-01-2003, 02:26 PM   #11
(female)

Banana1214 HB User
I'm 21 as well and have been dealing with this crap for like half my life. I've used every prescription topical available and many oral things too. The only thing I haven't tried is Accutane because my doctor said I didn't have the "right" kind of acne. Whatever that means. So after spending zillions of dollars and always being disappointed (not to mention the money spent on doctor visits), I've given up on prescriptions and am currently trying Paula's Choice products. I've been using her 2% BHA and 5% BP for about two weeks and I'm miserable again. I've broken out terribly from this stuff in places I never have before and they're all painful cysts, but I'm hoping it's just the intitial breakout and it will go away soon. I'm also taking Diane 35. I just finished my third month, and I think now is when it's supposed to start working, so I'll cross my fingers on that, too. Basically, I'm just killing time until my acne finally goes away for good. (my sister had it until she was 27, and now her skin is perfect, so I figure that's how I'll turn out, too. Six more years to go! Yay!) But seriously, good luck with the Tazorac. I really hope it works for you because it sounds like you're doing things better than I did. My doctor didn't tell me to wash it off after 5 minutes, so maybe that's why I was always so irritated. Maybe it will work for you.
-Vanessa

Old 09-01-2003, 03:23 PM   #12

iamtrying HB User
dont be down-- well..good luck to us, lol. At least i know that i'm not alone and i'm sure we're in the same boat as a lot of people. I'm also going to do this for 3 months..or as close to it as possible. and if it fails i'll do accutane. Anyway it would be great to keep in touch with u since we're on the same meds..and relatively similar time schedule (i think i'm on around week 4 and you're 6?)So let me know you're progress and stuff and i'll tell ya mine,ok?

banana: good luck witht the new product you're trying. Sorry it broke u out, but most new things will do that so i'm sure it'll subside and/or improve. what do u mean the doc said u didn't have the right type of acne for accutane? did he mean it wasn't severe enough? or that the acne itself was not currable by it? just wondering, cause i though accutane would pretty much cure all types..just that doctors prescribe it in moderate or severe cases, and moderate only when everything else has failed. my doctor refused to give me accutane when i asked for it but he said it was cause it wasn't severe enough, not cause it was the wrong type..however he said he'll take it under consideration if dilligent tazxorac use doen't bring me any results.

wow these are like the longest posts i've ever written

Old 09-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #13
(female)

Banana1214 HB User
Yes, it was because it wasn't severe enough, at least at the time. That was when I was a sophomore in high school, so I can't really remember how bad my skin was. Even now, I would guess it's not severe enough, which is ok because accutane scares me, with all it's dangerous side effects. I had a friend who used it and he was such a mess - bright red, flake city, lips so chapped he couldn't talk. But now he's been perfectly clear for about 5 years. If only my acne would get worse and then I could go on accutane! Yeah, right. I don't think anyone would ever wish for worse acne

Old 09-03-2003, 05:04 PM   #14

iamtrying HB User
any more stories/positive experiences please??
dont be down how are u doing?

Old 09-03-2003, 06:57 PM   #15

anth0r HB User
My first acne treatment, last year, cleared me 100% for nine months untill it came back.

Differin at night
Minocycline pill 2x a day--monring and night
Clindamycin gel in mornings

Closed Thread