It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

summer33ny HB User
Post Cosmetic Surgery to get rid of scars???

I have been on Accutane for a couple weeks now, although I'm clear my face hasn't improved much overall because I still have so many scars. I have never had cystic acne, so the scars are not indented, they are minor discolorations through out my face. I know people recommend all sorts of topical treatments, but I am not one to really believe that putting vitamins on your face will make much of a difference. Are there any cosmetic procedures like chemical peels or laser treatments that work well??? How are the results?? Has anyone tried these treatments???

Old 09-03-2003, 01:16 PM   #2

Scooterman HB User
Well since you are on accutane you cannot do anything for them right now except use mild topical creams that probably won't do much.

I've heard you can do Photoderm which helps w/ the redness 3 months after accutane as opposed to other treatments requiring you to wait 6 months to even a year.

For me 6 months is almost unbearably long....3 months I can handle though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 01:56 PM   #3

Janet in Texas HB User
Summer,

The Obaji Nu Derm system is good for evening out skin tones, discolorations, etc. I had moderate acne for about 10 years along with a few cysts. Obaji has cleared up the discolorations and smoothed out my skin. Obaji also incorporates Retin-A, so I would ask your doctor about using this program. Also, they have a wonderful medium depth peel called a Blue Peel. I have had two.

One piece of advice. You can order this system over the internet. But my strong advice is to go to a doctor's office that carries this line so that you can get the appropriate instructions and followups. Also, they will have to apply your blue peel if you decide to have it done at some point. I am under the care of a cosmetic surgeon for this program, but many dermatologists also offer it.

One more thing....the program seems expensive in the beginning. I am living on a secretary's salary and I think my first purchase for the starting system was around $450. But I have found that it is no more expensive in the long run (you will use less of the product when you get to the maintenance stage) than the products I was purchasing at the Lancome counter and all those other products that said they worked and then they didn't. By the way, I have been using Obaji for 4 years now and I love it...it is so wonderful to get compliments on your skin.

5'5" F

Old 09-03-2003, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

summer33ny HB User
Is it a big improvement??? Worth the $450????

Old 09-04-2003, 07:17 AM   #5

Janet in Texas HB User
Summer,

I am so very happy with my skin now. I would at least go in and speak with a doctor's office about it and they would be able to better tell you what to expect out of the program in relation to your skin.

Yes, it is worth the money or I would not have continued the program for 4 years now. Also, I went and looked at how much I spend on the products and I was high on the start up. It should be closer to $300.

And the office visit should be free. During your visit, they should be able to show you before and after pictures and you will be amazed...

[This message has been edited by Janet in Texas (edited 09-04-2003).]
5'5" F

Closed Thread