It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
Post Pimples on the......scalp?

Does anyone know why one would get pimples on the scalp? It is the strangest thing. Just cannot see why. Explanations please?

----------------------------
Some background you should know:

I never really had this problem before, although I had acne on my face, but it's been under control this year.

I have always had long, shoulder-length hair.

About 6 weeks ago, I switched shampoos - using THICK HAIR brand. Thus, I started using a different brand pomade. Used JOHNNY B for months, now switched to MAGIC MOVE.

No. I am not having any hair loss. The pomade/wax are water-based and alcohol free.
------------------------------

Could it be an allergic reaction to the pomade/wax and/or the shampoo - even though it's been weeks ago in which I started using - and the scalp zits are coming now?

Could it be that the acne has decided to strike the scalp now that the face is cured?

Could it be other factors? Stress?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 06:27 AM   #2

Forcefed4 HB User
Hi Aaron. Trust me, you are not alone on the scalp acne. I am a 29 year old male, and I have been dealing with it for years.

I used to use some hair products in my hair, and stopped that over a year ago to see if it helped. Nope, still break out, 90% of the time on the back area of my scalp, sometimes on the sides/top of my head.

I use Head&Shoulders shampoo, let it sit on my hair for a few minutes in the shower. My hair is very short (I shave my whole head down to about 1/2" length).

Scalp acne is a result of too much oil, just like it is for any other acne. Your scalp develops oil just like your face, neck, back, etc. It could be a case of folliculitis.

I have mentioned the acne to my regular doctor AND a dermatologist, and they basically blew it off as no big deal. It is a big deal though, since the lesions can be very deep and painful.

Sorry I don't have any positive advice, but nothing I have tried has "cured" my scalp acne.

Kev

PS I see other guys that also have scalp acne...it's easy to spot on guys with short hair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 07:47 AM   #3

ali44 HB User
hey guys, just wondering if you have acne on other places of your body also. like shoulders, upper arms, back, butt, upper chest etc. when i started breaking out in these areas i realized that even if i could find a topical to cure my acne i couldnt possibly put it on all those places!! so i tried fighting it from the inside. some of my other posts have more information. i have had very good success with diet, saw palmetto and exercise. it has only been about a month since i had some sense knocked into me so cant really say which of these has been working but i will find out eventually. good luck with your struggles. let me know if i can help.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
I too have pimples in my scalp. Some are just bumps, some hurt it's wierd. Alot of them are on the lower back of my head by the back of my neck. I started to use T-Sal shampoo by Neutrogena it has Salicyclic Acid in it .. so far it hasn't done much. I also use Head and Shoulders too but that hasn't helped either. I was thinking of trying Nizoral Shampoo. That may work well b/c I used Nizoral pills for a form of folliculitis and they helped. Don't know if that means anything. Also my forehead is a real mess. Guess it's from my hair and the oil.

I will try the Nizoral and let you know how that works.

Let me know if either of you find anything that begins to work for you.

Closed Thread