It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
(male)

nitts95 HB User
Adult cystic acne?

I am about to turn 35. Quick background: my acne got bad when I was 25, I took accutane at that age. It cleared all the big stuff, and I was happy. A year later I started getting annoying pimples on my cheeks, which wasn't typical before the accutane. I was starting to get upset again when my doc wanted me to go back to the daily grind of Retin-A. (I hated that stuff.)

So I started Proactiv in December 1999, and it worked great. I loved it. I've been a devoted user since then. However, in the last year, I started breaking out on a consistent basis, sometimes with multiple pimples simultaneously, and much larger than I've had in years. Most were the kind that formed a head, but now they all seem to form under the skin. They stay for months! They wax and wane, but never really go away. The hard mass of clotted blood (I'm guessing) just remains there under my skin.

What are these? Why am I almost exclusively getting these long-lasting headless kind all of the sudden? I have one under my eye that finally seems to have dissolved, but it started last July. I have one on my chin since November, another popped up a month ago on my chin (still there), a large one formed last week next to my nose where the smile crease is (still there), and now there is a large one under my nose right above my lip that seems like it will linger just like the rest.

Is there any special treatment for these things? Other than these I don't have other normal zits that pop. Just these hardened, clotted masses under the skin.

Last edited by nitts95; 05-01-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

Lexiah HB User
Re: Adult cystic acne?

You def have cystic acne. It is usually due to hormonal problems. I suggest you see your OBGYN and get checked out, make sure things aren't too serious.
I am 32 and started getting cystic acne after going off the pill. I really wanted to stay off the pill, but FINALLY after a year of cystic acne I waved the white flag and have gone on Dianne 35 (BCpill) I tried every herbal remedy, I ate a diet that would rival the purity of a monk's diet, I jogged 6-7 km a day, I took all the recommended vitamin suppliments etc etc but to no avail. I have been taking the pill for two months and my skin is improving a lot. But I am now left with scars both red marks and tissue loss (aka permanent scarring) I wish I had gone back on the pill like 6 months ago. But I was determined to get rid of my acne naturally.
So if you are getting cystic acne and are scarring you should consider getting your hormone levels checked and consider the pill.
Also, using salicylic acid (2%)or glycolic acid (8%) daily in a toner or lotion is a good idea as it helps your skin shed and prevents your pores from clogging.
And aloe gel/juice does not clog pores so you can apply it on the cysts to help prevent scarring and helps treat scars.
Fresh lemon juice mask for 10-20 minutes every few days is great for skin.
Also honey, apple cidar vinegar, yogurt (plain/no sugar/organic) and tea tree oil.
Taking vitamins like vit A, B complex, zinc, selenium, chromium, Vit E, D, Calcium & Magnesium, MSM and Vitamin C all of these are great for your skin and hormonal balance. As well, saw Palmetto, vitex, evening primrose and dong quai.
You may also want to do a candida cleanse. Candida builds up in our bodies and causes acne and a whole bunch of other problems. I suggest to do a google search on the candida thing. I used a product called *candigone and it worked well and I lost 5lbs while taking it
Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

smokey22 HB User

I am 27 and also suffer from cystic acne. I suffered with these lumps for a long time and finally had enough as they were really painful! I went to my doctor and he prescribed a gel to put on the areas effected. I have very oily skin and found this dried up the excess oil and has helped a lot. Its called Duac and contains Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide. Someone recently commented that i wasn't so spotty anymore (how nice of them!) so it must work! I also found when it was bad i would be washing my face a lot which made it worse as your skin produces more oil etc. The gel is quite strong though, the first time i used it i slapped it on wanting instant results but it REALLY dried my skin out and i went red for days so follow the instructions!!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
(male)

J1570 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitts95 View Post
I am about to turn 35. Quick background: my acne got bad when I was 25, I took accutane at that age. It cleared all the big stuff, and I was happy. A year later I started getting annoying pimples on my cheeks, which wasn't typical before the accutane. I was starting to get upset again when my doc wanted me to go back to the daily grind of Retin-A. (I hated that stuff.)

So I started Proactiv in December 1999, and it worked great. I loved it. I've been a devoted user since then. However, in the last year, I started breaking out on a consistent basis, sometimes with multiple pimples simultaneously, and much larger than I've had in years. Most were the kind that formed a head, but now they all seem to form under the skin. They stay for months! They wax and wane, but never really go away. The hard mass of clotted blood (I'm guessing) just remains there under my skin.

What are these? Why am I almost exclusively getting these long-lasting headless kind all of the sudden? I have one under my eye that finally seems to have dissolved, but it started last July. I have one on my chin since November, another popped up a month ago on my chin (still there), a large one formed last week next to my nose where the smile crease is (still there), and now there is a large one under my nose right above my lip that seems like it will linger just like the rest.

Is there any special treatment for these things? Other than these I don't have other normal zits that pop. Just these hardened, clotted masses under the skin.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
(male)

J1570 HB User

i'm afraid i have more depressing news, i too, suffer from late adolescent systic acne. i suffered from regular teenage acne for years but never as bad as i got it in my late 20's... i got in on my face, beard line mainly, and actually the back of my head, which was most annoying. no clue how to stop it... tried otc medications, they seemed to lessen it but not control it.. any ideas?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I too, developed horrible cystic acne in my late 20's. Going off the b/c pill in my early 30's seemed to worsen it. I did 2 years of Accutane, 10 months apart, and had 0 success, once I stopped the drug, the acne came back worse then ever. Ive spent thousands of dollars in dermatologists offices, on injections, they help- but leave scars, on every topical and oral drug on the market. Then, someone told me about Photodynamic Therapy. Its a laser treatment which works allot like accutane. It shrinks the sebaceous glands under the skin to stop the oil production, Ive had 4 treatments, the last one being only yesterday. its not cheap, but sometimes you only need one or two treatments, my doc told me between 3-5 and quite honestly, I suspect this was the last one. My scarring is gone- I get minimal breakouts since this started (ive gotten one treatment every 3 weeks for the past 3 months). Im thrilled to death with the results...the laser hurts- but only for a few minutes...afterwards you feel like you have a sunburn..a day later, you sort of peel as the new skin underneathe starts to come out- and then, soft, beautiful skin, like I had when I was 14!!!
Im really excited about this procedure and would recommend it to anyone who has gone thru what Ive gone thru!
Hope this helps.
Nikki

Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
(male)

J1570 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
I too, developed horrible cystic acne in my late 20's. Going off the b/c pill in my early 30's seemed to worsen it. I did 2 years of Accutane, 10 months apart, and had 0 success, once I stopped the drug, the acne came back worse then ever. Ive spent thousands of dollars in dermatologists offices, on injections, they help- but leave scars, on every topical and oral drug on the market. Then, someone told me about Photodynamic Therapy. Its a laser treatment which works allot like accutane. It shrinks the sebaceous glands under the skin to stop the oil production, Ive had 4 treatments, the last one being only yesterday. its not cheap, but sometimes you only need one or two treatments, my doc told me between 3-5 and quite honestly, I suspect this was the last one. My scarring is gone- I get minimal breakouts since this started (ive gotten one treatment every 3 weeks for the past 3 months). Im thrilled to death with the results...the laser hurts- but only for a few minutes...afterwards you feel like you have a sunburn..a day later, you sort of peel as the new skin underneathe starts to come out- and then, soft, beautiful skin, like I had when I was 14!!!
Im really excited about this procedure and would recommend it to anyone who has gone thru what Ive gone thru!
Hope this helps.
Nikki
thank you! have never heard of this procedure but will definitely investigate. the cystic acne, ironically has decreased since i submitted that post. still get it on the back of my head but i do shave my head regularly and am almost thinking that's hurting it. if it does continue, i will look into the laser. i've had acne me whole life and hate the medication for drying out my skin so something new would be a breath of fresh air. hope it continues to work!

Closed Thread