It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #1

badtzjunk HB User
Question Benzaclin & Proactiv

I'm currently using Proactiv twice a day [morning/night] ...

my doctor just prescribed me Benzaclin for use in the morning/night ....

[i'm also using minocycline (antibiotic)]

Am I able to use these two products together? And effectively?

If so, how should I apply everything [as in, ... the steps?]

Thanks so much for any help!

[This message has been edited by badtzjunk (edited 09-03-2003).]

Old 09-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #2

anth0r HB User
Yes, if you're applying two creams before you go to sleep (proactiv and benzaclin?) wait 30 mins to allow the product to be absorbed into the skin, then apply the second product.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 08:00 PM   #3

badtzjunk HB User
Proactiv then Benzaclin then Minocycline?

thanks!

Old 09-03-2003, 08:01 PM   #4

ohwhataday HB User
i am assuming you are only using the proactive cleanser and toner and not using the lotion? that's what i would do...cleanser, toner, benzaclin. good luck!

Old 09-03-2003, 11:02 PM   #5

Big_Wreck HB User
If you are not having success using proactiv, i would recommend quitting. i used it for 2 years and was somewhat addicted in that, when i first started it worked so well then was not so helpful after a few months which is the reason i looked for other treatments. I was happy to finally get off of it. If I was you i would just stop the proactiv and if you like using a benzoyl peroxide cleanser, i would say just buy one, i have noticed proactiv to be no better. i would also say not to use the toner twice a day, if you are gonna use proactiv twice a day like i did, i would not use it at night, i found it caused more dryness and irritation. Goodluck though

Old 09-04-2003, 12:24 PM   #6

badtzjunk HB User
is it not good to use a toner too often?

which facial cleanser/toner would you recommend [as proactiv replacements] ?

thanks for the help!

Old 09-04-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
I used both ProActiv and Benzaclyn. I like the Benzaclyn in the beginning b/c it gave me great results but it didn't last long. Same w/ the ProActiv. This may not be the case w/ you though. Give it a shot for a bit and see if it gives you positive results.

I currently am washing w/ the Deep Cleansing Wash from ProActiv (It has Salicyclic Acid in it). I use that and Neutrogena On The Spot Treatment b/c it has bp in it but only 2.5% and it's much less irritating than the Benzaclyn which is 5% BP and higher.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
(female)

verianne HB User
Big_Wreck
I also use Proactiv and have been using it since January, what do you use now if you noticed it stopped being as effective?

I used to use Neutrogena Oil Free Cream Cleanser and it was wonderful, then it kind of stopped being as good, so i decided to try Proactiv. I notice that if I miss using it one day i mess up my skin the next day, so i am nervous that it will stop working one day as well.

PLease let me know

Old 09-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #9

Big_Wreck HB User
After i hgave up on proactiv I honestly just went and bought a benzoyl peroxide cleanser, which is what proactiv has.....I use panoxyl 5...and a benzoyl peroxide lotion. But the best product that has helped is ACNE SPOT dry. U buy it on the net. It really helps pimples go away quick. But i also use retin-a on my problem areas only...like my chin and between my eyes. But i also used retin a while i was on proactiv, i used it instead of the lotion. After i stopped using proactiv, I found my face was less dry and my breakouts were no different. But they were kept under better control by using the Acne spot dry. Honestly what i would do, is if you feel proactiv does help alot, which means u like benzoyl peroxide products, then just buy some from your local drug store, trust me they work as good or better and much cheaper. I mean if you do not feel proactiv is working that great for you. Sometimes i would be clear on it and sometimes i would breakout bad. So it was nothing special, it just seems to make u dependent, because u constantly remember how good it worked when you first tried it. You keep thinking it works that well, when really it does not. the acne spot dry costs about 29.00 dollars or so, and lasts about 2 months or so depending on how many breakouts you get. its just so dependable thats why i like it. but alone it wont work. it kills the spots u have.

I have basically given up on these treatments, i am taking accutane now, but I still keep the benzoyl peroxide and acne spot dry around just in case and use them on the areas i breakout still on accutane.

But good luck hope u find something that works for you, i just think proactiv is way to expensive for what it is...

R

Old 09-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #10

productjunkie HB User
Greetings All!

I also use Bezamycin and it works pretty well.... However, I can only use this at night because it is extremely drying but in the morning I wash with Dove Soap(the green one which states "hypo-allergenic" on the package) and I use Lavender floral water after that as a toner, as I was reading comments and questions about toners........Lavender water really controls the oil and shininess and I have oily skin and sometimes I mix it with a squirt of Rose floral water, it is really good at softening the skin and smoothing out scars and for the ladies, the makeup goes on so smoothly after and for the guys, I know the scent of rose is not appealing but orange floral water is also really good. So I just wanted to put my two sense into this forum and these floral waters are natural so you don't have to worry about dry skin and stuff and at nighttime just wash with dove soap, the one I mentioned above is a MUST for those using benzymacin , clindoxil, and other products containing benzoyl peroxide and resume with the medication. But Lavender water is a MUST; it cuts downs the redness, reduces oiliness and shine, makes the skin soft and has a relaxing aroma. Those of you with dry skin and are prone to acne, ditto exept use rose water or both. Best of Luck!

Take Care

Old 09-05-2003, 06:24 AM   #11
(female)

verianne HB User
Big_Wreck I am not sure if you are male or female but I have found that Proactiv helps my skin look clear (remember I don't have acne- just a few breakouts here and there so it really does work, i am complaining about a few breakouts maybe once every few weeks) however, i also notice that it is not as effective right before i get my period- which is when your hormonal levels bounce around more so you are more prone to breakouts. But it works so well afterwords that i dont mind.
And you are right- you keep relying on Proactiv because you remember hoe well it worked in the beginning. I think I will switch back to Neutrogena for a few weeks and then come back to Proactiv and see if that helps jumpstart my skin!

Closed Thread