It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User
Post Anyone else have folliculitis?

I have had folliculitis since I first started to shave. For those who dont know what folliculitis is, it's a condition similar to acne but is focused on how the hair grows in the follicle. If the hair is cut to short, it will have the tendency to curl benieth the skin causing inflammation,redness and/or ingrown hairs. White heads can also occur a day later. I was just wondering if anyone has this condition or maybe knows something about it. I really need to get more info about how to treat this. I use Benzaclin after I shave, then again at night. But I use it only once the next day. I let the Benzaclin dry for about an hour before I put on Clindamycin which takes away the dryness from the Benzaclin. I use the Clindamycin because it keeps my face rather clear. Lotions or other moisterisers will sting and cause harm to what the Benzaclin was working so hard to treat. Then I spray cologn on my face(very carefully)so I dont smell. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif My skin clears up in most spots, although I will sometimes have white little bumps on my neck or benieth the sides of my mouth. Is there any other remedies besides the Benzaclin and Clindamycin? I mean its working pretty well but I would like to know if there's any other ways to go about treating this. Your input is much appreciated

Old 09-04-2003, 06:31 AM   #2

Janet in Texas HB User
Dr. Do,

Oh Boy, Have I been there! Folliculitus is a bacteria of the hair follicle. I had suffered from that about 15 years ago, but it was on my arm. It was horrible. They tried everything and it got so bad that they were about to admit me to the hospital to feed antibiotics to me interveinously. Mine was so bad that it covered my entire left arm and my arm had swollen to twice it's size. I had been to several doctors that tried several things with no luck, but the biopsy of one of the bumps did confirm it was folliculitus. I finally tried one more doctor before agreeing to going into the hospital and he put me on a new antiobiotic that had just came onto the market called Duricef. I didn't expect it to work [I had been on several other antiobiotics (orally,creams, washes) with little to no improvement] but to my amazement, within two weeks the lesions were gone and all I had left was a bunch of scars, which I still have a few left 15 years later. DURICEF was a God-send to me. Fifteen years later I have never had a reoccurance.

Also, did you know that it could heriditary? My father had it on the top of his legs, as did my brother. I too went through a brief bought of it on my legs when I was a senior in highschool and would have minor breakouts from time to time, but since getting the Duricef treatment, I have never had any type of reoccurance anywhere on my body.

Oh, one other thing that they had me on was Hibiclens. It is a wash that doctors use to prep before going into surgery or just to wash their hands in between patients. I had to wash my bed sheets three times a week in this stuff to hopefully remove any type of bacteria on my bed linens. I also used it as a wash for my arm. It used to be by prescription only, but it can be purchased through the pharmacy now.

[This message has been edited by Janet in Texas (edited 09-04-2003).]
5'5" F

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
I was diagnosed w/ folliculitis I used dermatop (a topical steroid) and Loprox (an antifungal cream) used 2x a day. I took antifungal pills (diflucan and nizoral). I'm still not sure if what I had was folliculitis or acne. I went to several derm's and they never all agreed that it was folliculitis. I finally got fed up w/ all the pills and creams and I just stopped. I've always had folliculitis on my upper arms but it was never out of control. My arms have cleared alot w/ the use of a salicylic cleansing wash. My face too has cleared alot but I still get bumps on the sides of my face and chin area. I would have to say the less the better, when it comes to folliculitis. The Salicylic Acid helps keep my pores clear. I'd recommend that. I do not use BP on the folliculitis I think it drys my skin too much which in turn clog the hair follicles. I don't know. This is just my assumption. I was so obsessed with this and it really began to bother me and make me an emotional mess. I looked horrible. I know what you are going through. I hope my recommendations will be of a help to you. Good luck and keep me posted on your status.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
a male friend of mine started using a 2% salicylic acid gel after shaving, and then again at night before going to bed, and it did wonders for his in-grown follicles, which had been large, swollen, and painful.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
HiI am currently suffering with the same problem and have been for the past 5 years and it makes life so much harder.
It,s bad enough coping with the stress of day to day life aswell as wondering if your neck will be full of tiny red lumps and bumps in the morning.
So far i haven,t really come up with anything that can cure this problem but i try to control it with Benzoyl Peroxide and Eumovate cream.
My dermatoligist has given up on me and basiclally told me to get on with it as i have tried so many different products,i am sure if i was royalty they would cure me though.
I hope you have some success with yours and i would be gratefull if anyone has any suggestions or tips regarding this nuisance of a problem.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:46 PM   #6

James's SweetPea HB User
Cool

Hello Dr D. I too have suffered with this dreaded disease. What works for me is to wash with Lever 2000 soap (aloe one) followed by washing with Hibiclens, which is available over the counter. I purchase mine at Walmart pharmacy; they can special order it for no extra charge. I then after showering use witch hazel followed by the new Neutragena body smoothing lotion and some Stridex fruit therapy (also new). Every other day in shower I also wash with Aveeno skin relief body wash. This has all helped tremendously. If you have any add'l Q's, please feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #7

James's SweetPea HB User
One more thing....I also shave with Aveeno therapuetic shave cream and a razor called the Bump Fighter. Both also available at Walmart. (No, I don't work there....LOL)

I know this may seem very involved, but it has made such a difference for me.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User
WOW! I'm suprised my post actually got answered. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I guess I'm not all that different. You guys have given me alot of usefull info and its well apperciated. I'm definitly taken this stuff to the dermo to see what he thinks. Thanks again for the help

Old 09-05-2003, 08:18 AM   #9

U4IA HB User
I also have what I'm guessing is folliculitis on the back of my arms. It never bothered me because I was always focused on my cystic acne which I though was a worse problem. Then one day my rude boss made mention of the bumps on the back of my arm.

I have recently been using St. Ives Apricot scrub with salcylic acid to exfoliate, and a lotion with Vitamin C by Yardley to moisturize. I now have fewer less noticeable bumps. Not cured, but better.

Closed Thread