It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 10:08 PM   #1

Filmkid HB User
Cool At-home Blue-light works!

First off, I just want to say that I've posted this in response to a few other threads, so I'm sorry if some of you have read this already. Also, this may not work for everyone (obviously) but I've had great results with it.

I had read about ClearLight and wondered if there was an at-home (and cheaper) solution. I saw the Verilux acne lamp advertised, but I was unimpressed with it's light output (which they don't go to great lengths to advertise). I saw another light advertised online, a much brighter one, which I bought to try. It's a GE Dichro-color Industrial blue light, which I would imagine is available wherever industrial or stage lights are sold.

I've used it for about a month now and I'm VERY impressed with the results. It's eliminated all but the most mild acne bumps, and I've been plauged with bad back acne for years. The only annoying thing is you really have to use it at least every other day for it to be effective (about 15 minutes per treatment). I stopped using it for about a week and had a reccurance (albeit mild), although that at least indicates it's working. I should mention that I'm still using both Salycilic Acid (2%) and Benzoly Peroxide (10%) Wash when I shower. These alone never achieved the results I've had when combined with the light.

The Clear Light treatment uses the exact same technology (the wavelength of the light kills bacteria), only much brighter and more intense. It sounds great and suppsosedly lasts longer, but it's WAY too expensive for my budget. $800 for 6 months of clear skin is MUCH too high a price when someone with moderate acne can do it at home for the cost of one of these bulbs (around $70). Most insurance carriers don't cover Clear Light (to my knowledge).

Has anyone else tried this? Also, does anyone know about NLight treatment for acne scarring? It's mainly used for wrinkle reduction in the States, but new studies have actually said that when used to treat acne scarring it actually *eliminated* back acne completely (hard to believe, I know).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
(male)

andertrack HB User
Cool Re: At-home Blue-light works!

I'd like to bring this topic back to see if anyone else has had any luck with light therapy. My dermatologist has said I could try laser treatment but i am very hesitant to have my skin burned away.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Re: At-home Blue-light works!

Now I'm rethinking my decision. I just posted about the lamp and was interested in the same lamp you got - dichro. they advertise a red and blue light for $123. Did you just get the blue lamp?

I also like the fact that it has an affect on your metabolism!

Last edited by sawbuck44; 01-24-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139730&highlight=blue+l ight[/url]

Here's the link for quite an extensive trial that a couple of our members did a while ago on a at home unit. Also, you can do a search on this board for blue light treatments. A bunch of stuff will pop up.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #5

Sman HB User

I would have to agree. I am currently using the Verilux happyskin acne lamp 2 times a day 15min each. I have already surpassed the 90 day period and am almost clear-- only have about 5 pimples compared to 20+. You can get the Verilux one alot cheaper on ebay....

I have been thinking of switching to a light that was more intense so I could use it less often. I've been looking mainly at the 210 LED acnelamp one that costs $599. It has 3 times the LEDs of their closest model.

skimom-- good thread post. I read the entire thread a few months ago...

Old 02-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #6
(male)

slash85 HB User

been such a long while n no one posts? can anione retok abt laser treatment or cooltouch, smoothbeam etc for acne treatment?

such blue light phototheraphy at home will work? how good is it in comparison wif other laser treatments in the market?

will it cause ani permanent damage and........ does ani who use this realise ani sensitivity to sun or does the treatment loses its effectivenesS?

Closed Thread