It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 10:29 PM   #1

blissgirl HB User
Post LOOOONG-lasting acne

for you people who have had acne for at least 3 years, i have a question to ask. have you been experimenting with many different products? because i know this guy who had acne freshmen and sophomore year. and it was not mild acne. but now that it is junior year, he is completely clear and very handsome. and i cant help but envy him. i talked to him and he said that he just let it pass. meaining, he just used a regular face wash and has never even been to a derm! so my theory is that acne does pass, just as long as you let nature take its course. dont intervene with it by using all those harsh over the counter medicines and derm perscriptions. just be patient and it will leave your skin clean and clear. i know this can be a big drag, but i truly believe that your skin will thank you for it in the near future. just let it naturally pass and you will be free of this disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 10:35 PM   #2

avgjoe HB User
that is a kind of ignorant view. This kid probably just had a brutal 2 years of puberty and has completed it. For some people, this may be the case. For others not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 07:17 PM   #3

blissgirl HB User
dear avgjoe,
have you tried leaving your acne alone for long enough? probably not. but if you have, im sorry for my rudeness and you should stop reading here. but if you havent tried leaving your face alone and just washing with a mild cleanser, than you have no right to say that my view is ignorant. because you havent tried my way.

Old 09-02-2003, 10:00 PM   #4

boardguy16 HB User
i can see how that might help. by leaving it alone you are not flooding your face with burning, drying chemicals. it would also help you to get your mind off the acne and relieve some of that stress that acne can give you.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
i have had acne for wayyyyyyyy over 3 years, and i think that guy may have been on to something in part. Yes, there are many powerful meds out there, but whenever my skin is doing the best, is when i'm being nicest to it. Cleansing it gently, exfoliating it gently, moisturizing, not freaking out that a moisturizer will break me out, etc. Also, not touching, and not picking, while really hard not to do those things will help quite a bit too.

Your skin, and your body want to heal themselves, we have incredible immune systems. Sometimes i think we just need to let the body do its work.

That's not to say nothing else will help, of course other treatments can be helpful, but I would certainly see nothing wrong with trying a regimen that's simple and gentle, and not packed full of prescriptions.

[This message has been edited by sedulous (edited 09-03-2003).]

Old 09-06-2003, 08:44 AM   #6

FlushPuppy HB User
Bollox to waiting, my skin will become one giant zit. Antibiotics are out there to try help reduce inflammation and scarring and without them I would have been terrible by now.

I think our bodies are pretty **** actually, without medicine we can die from a lot of things... or should we just sit back and see if that illusive cancer decides to leave someone on its own?

Good luck to all
================

------------------
If I were perfect I'd probably be so imperfected.

Old 09-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #7

U4IA HB User
First of all I think we should be able to disagree with out putting each other down, after all our purpose is to be helpful, and differing hypotheses are useful to solving medical mysteries.

I think there probably is some truth to not intervening too much, however its usefulness is dependant on the type of acne you are dealing with. Severe cystic acne almost always needs medical treatment. Mild or normal teenage acne may respond better if use of harsh chemicals that produce severe drying is limited.

Old 09-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

summer33ny HB User
You've only had acne for 3 years?!!! You are truly blessed!

Closed Thread