It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #1

Sizzler HB User
Post What's Going On Here?

Hey everyone...I hope you don't mind me sharing my story and hopefully someone can give me some advice. I just turned 40 and just in the last year have started getting acne. At least I think it's acne. I rarely had it when I was younger. When it started I began getting a tingling, kind of hot sensation on my face. Then, later that day or the next, I would get a big red hot bump in that spot. It even seemed to spread like in a pattern. Sometimes I would get a bump on the opposite side of the face in the exact same spot. Has anyone ever experienced this? When this first happened, I had a fever with it so my doctor felt it was a bacterial infection and gave me heavy duty antibiotics, which helped for awhile. But I can't take that strong of medicine forever or my immune system will be messed up. Finally the doctor put me on birth control pills which helped. But I have a condition where my body does not metabolize iron properly so it builds up. Being on the pill meant very light periods and even more iron build up which can cause serious health problems. So, I am off the pill and here we go again with the bumps only I think worse. They almost never have a head on them and they are very red. I know this is probably due to hormones but still I need to find something that controls it. I have a job where at least 20 people are looking at my face all day....HELP!

My questions are has anyone had similar experiences, especially the tingling thing? And, what works for adult acne? I appreciate any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 06:40 PM   #2

LookingforwardtoFREEDOM HB User
I don't know about what topicals you have tried to get rid of the acne beast but I can tell you I have spent at least 2-3+ thousand dollars over the years to get rid of mine. I am now 32 and have been battling with it again steady for a year now. Not to mention the fact that I have battled on and off since I was about 12 or 13 years old. I am fortunate that I don't have a job where I have to be in front of people but I think that might make it worse. I do bookeeping in my own home so I can make a trip to the bathroom every 5 minutes and obsess about all the marks. To be honest I don't have that bad of acne in the grande scheme of things but nonetheless it has battered my self-esteem to no end. I have tired so many different things. Lotions, cremes, serums, pills, cleansers, home remedies, naturopath, restricted diet for several weeks, you name it I have probably tried it to no avail. So as for your question what works on adult acne, in my experience nothing so far. I am filled with anxiety if I even have to step outside. Even if no one is home I still prefer the comfort of being in the house and out of the sunlight. I am grateful for the fact that winter is nearing and the sun takes a hiatus as I live so far north. I could go for a walk or a bike ride but the fear of running into one of the neighbors overwhelms me with fear. I wish I could have a more positive answer for you but I don't. Don't get discouraged though as what works for some doesn't and won't work for someone else. I have even found out that this all could be mental. I have a book called Skin Deep by Ted Grossbart and he implies that my emotional needs may be providing me with this affliction to meet some emotional need. Part of me believes it as I have had a history of boils when I was about 2, then hives when I was about 6-7 and again when 9-10. Then acne off and on from 12-13 on. I have had some serious emotional things happen to me and at the biggest times of crisis in my life I seem to get it full force now that I think about it. So I am working now with a hypnotherapist to rectify my anger and resentment to the people that have hurt me in my life. I have only had two appointments but nothing really has come of it. This week I had some major stress with work and had one of the worst breakouts in a long time. So.... anyhow if you have some stress going on in your life then that may be an option to address. I do wish you the best of luck in your search for the cure you so richly deserve. I mean I guess we are lucky as we don't have something fatal or anything but when you stop living life because of what this does to you emotionally and phsycologically then I am not sure what is the lesser evil. Today I asked my 9 year old what she would want from me and she said for me to be happy. I cry when I think about it but I can't past the fact of what I look like. Depressing. I am not any fun anymore and will not go places for more that an hour or two because of how anxious I get. I think tonight I will read more in the skin deep book and see if I can make any headway there. Good luck to you and your battle. I read somewhere in one of hte posts about acne being the greatest battle ever fought. How True. Take Care and be Good to Yourself.
LFTF

Closed Thread