It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 12:20 AM   #1

badtzjunk HB User
Question Manual vs. Chemical Exfoliant ?

Is either more effective as an exfoliant?

manual exfoliant = small beads, etc.

chemical exfoliant = Alpha Hydrox AHA, Paula's Choice BHA, etc.

Thanks for any info.!

Old 09-05-2003, 07:44 PM   #2

badtzjunk HB User
?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Hi again.

Generally, chemical exfoliants are better, especially for acne prone skin. This is because they can exfoliate everything much more evenly and efficiently.

Also, if you use manual scrubs that contain shells or anything sharp, it can cut your skin and cause microabrasians that let bacteria in, and lead to more acne!

The only time manual exfoliation is safe is when the product uses polyethelene (plastic) beads or jojoba beads. Proactiv is one that uses the polyethelene, and PTR Botanical Buffing beads use jojoba.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2003, 12:44 PM   #4

badtzjunk HB User
Would it be more effective to once in awhile use a manual exfoliant, instead of using strictly chermical exfoliants everyday?

Old 09-06-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

I do. I use Proactiv's Renewing Cleanser every so often, as well as Renee Rouleau Enzyme Scrub. Just for a once-in-a-while treat, to make my skin feel *extra* smooth and soft. I still use the chemical exfoilants, though.

Just be careful because depending on how sensitive your skin is, it might not be able to take TOO much exfoliation. You don't want to irritate your skin!

Old 09-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #6

badtzjunk HB User
When you use the ProActiv Renewing Cleanser, do you use that along with the Purpose Moisturizing Foaming Cleanser before that step?

So basically, the Renewing Cleanser would take place of the AHA step [for me, in the mornings]?

Thanks TimDream!

Old 09-06-2003, 06:31 PM   #7

gurg HB User

Manual exfoliants alone did just about nothing for me. Chemical exfoliants (glycolic acid) alone did wonders. Adding the manual exfoliant back in on top of the chemical gave it that extra kick, my skin looks great!

Just my 2 cents.
Katie

Old 09-06-2003, 07:09 PM   #8

badtzjunk HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by gurg:

Adding the manual exfoliant back in on top of the chemical

you mean @ the same time? or one after the other?

interesting idea

Old 09-06-2003, 08:40 PM   #9
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by badtzjunk:
When you use the ProActiv Renewing Cleanser, do you use that along with the Purpose Moisturizing Foaming Cleanser before that step?

So basically, the Renewing Cleanser would take place of the AHA step [for me, in the mornings]?
I only use the Proactiv cleanser once in a while in the mornings...and at those times I use it instead of the Purpose MFC. It cleans well enough, and since it is in the morning I don't have any makeup to remove.

You can continue to apply the AHA even after using the Proactiv cleanser. If you notice in the original Proactiv system, the toner that follows the cleanser contains glycolic acid...which is an AHA! So I think the system would encourage using a chemical exfoliant in addition to the manual exfoliant in the cleanser. It will help to get rid of red marks and help to soften your skin.

Closed Thread