It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 03:45 AM   #1

dbarker348 HB User
Question Is it worth trying Differin without a doctor's prescription? I'm desparate :(

Hey,
Today I feel so awful just because of my skin. No matter what I do I get new zits all the time and I seriously don't think there is anything that can help me.

Right now I'm using Azelaic Acid for one week which I know really isn't enough time to tell but I can tell you now that it is not going to help at all.

The thing that makes me so upset is that in less than two weeks I go away to university and have to start a new life - with skin like this. Don't they say first impressions are everything? In which case no one will want to know me.

I have so many red marks it's unbelievable. That wouldn't be so bad except I'm getting new zits all the time - especially around my chin. Actually, you know what? Especially every where apart from my left cheek. I have them around my mouth, on my chin, to the side of my chin, little ones on my nose, loads on my forehead, loads on my right cheek and really nasty ones on my neck.

Bascially, I can get Differin without a prescription if I order it online - do you think I should?

You know... right now if a doctor gave me the choice of going on Accutane, I think I would - and I always said to myself I never would but I haven't been out of the house in nearly 3 weeks and haven't even got dressed in 5 days. One of my friends told me she's coming around this week and I'm so nervous about my skin. I know I shouldn't be depressed or anything about my skin but I can't help it.

I just want it to stop right now.

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 10:18 AM   #2

anth0r HB User
I'd suggest that you see a dermatologist because he/she can choose the acne treatment best suited for you where as if you were to be purchasing online without a prescription, you would be choosing blindly at the plethora of products on the market. But, by all means, if a dermatologist or doctor is out of the question then go ahead; I experienced 100% clearing while on differin/clindamycin/minocycline.

Old 09-06-2003, 12:05 PM   #3

dbarker348 HB User
Thanks for the reply. When I visited my doctor, I asked about Differin/Retin-A and he said my acne wasn't bad enough for that and that I should be happy with the results I was getting from Erythromycin (but I had to stop taking erythromycin because I felt wierd on it). He then kept telling me how his acne was "10 times worse when he was my age".

Dave

Old 09-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #4

anth0r HB User
Switch derms

Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #5

Product_Queen HB User
Hey Dave,

If u don't mind me asking, how many lesions do u have at the moment??? Why won't the derm give u any topicals as thats usually the first thing that they prescribe....I wish my derm said I wasn't that bad, they never tell me how good or bad I am....I honestly think that u need to switch derms because telling someone that they are not as bad as someone else is no answer...Oh, did the pizza make u break out???

Old 09-06-2003, 01:35 PM   #6

dbarker348 HB User
Hey there,
The pizza... I'm not quite sure to be honest. It probably didn't help. Last night before I went to sleep I noticed a few more zits but that could have just been a bad day type thing.

OK... I guess the best way to describe my skin is as a list...

Forehead:
one big zit but no head (kind of a cyst but not quite as nasty but still hurts a lot).
one of the same as above (i think) just above my eyebrow which is just starting to appear.
quite a few small 'bumps' and lots of red marks.

Nose:
about 5 small whiteheads but my nose is mega red like it is irritated (but i know it isnt). also, in the corners of my nose are lots of red veins etc.

Between cheeks and nose:
two big nasty ones and a six or so smaller ones above my lips/to the side of my nose.

cheeks:
my left cheek maybe has one zit which is not noticeable but has 3 or 4 red marks & a few noticable scars
my right cheek didn't have any new zits until the past few days when I got 3 new ones (smallish) - but awash with red marks (awful)

chin:
TERRIBLE. i have a mini cyst, a huge whitehead, some smaller whiteheads and a few blackheads. i also have about 8 zits which are healing and going down but i must have at least 30 red marks around the area. grrrr!

neck:
sometimes it's good, sometimes its not so good. right now i have about 4 big whitehead on the left side of my neck and one on the right side. again, lots of red marks.

back:
i used to notice it a lot because it was terrible but my back is the one place which i've seen improve. once I had been on the antibiotics (even when I came off them) my back was a lot better. since the antibiotics, my back has got slightly worse in sort of the middle area but only slightly. i used to have HUGE zits everywhere on my back before - especially my shoulders but i havent had any on my shoulders for months (haha watch me get some tonight just because i've said that!)

I hope that wasn't too boring for you! lol

Dave

Old 09-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #7

Product_Queen HB User
Doesn't sound like many, seems like more smaller ones than the cystic type.....Good thing is that your type is easier to treat than the cysts I get...Accutane is probably overkill for u....But I am sure that if ur derm gave u an oral antibiotic with a topical antibiotic and a topical exfoliant it would do the job....I say talk to ur derm or any doc and inquire about the topicals...You should feel happy that its just red marks, mine leave dents unfortunately and I know nothing can fix that :-( But I am still using my topicals to prevent more dents from happening....Can u go to a doctor and get a referral to a different derm??? I had to do that and I am happy I did....You could even go to a walk-in clinic to get a referral which might be quicker....Some general practioners even give topicals so u might not even have to go to a derm..

Old 09-06-2003, 02:59 PM   #8

dbarker348 HB User
I guess I could see a different doctor. Here in the UK, to get to see a dermatologist would take months because of the National Health Service (unless I went private but that costs £££!).

I'll see how things go and make a decision in a few weeks. I guess if I'm at university (in a different place) there will be different doctors anyway....

Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-06-2003, 11:30 PM   #9

nomoreacneplz HB User
I don't think differin is worthed it at all, let alone getting it without a doctor's prescription. I used it 2 years ago and it made me soooo bad!!! I think it works the same as Accutane and RetinA. My dermatologist at the time said that sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. Well, I didn't use it long enough to see the better. I got worse and worse every week, because I get more and more cortisone injections on my face each week (and that hurts a lot). I basically gave it 8 weeks. I originally wanted to give it 12 weeks, because that was supposed to be the ideal trial period for differin. But I just couldn't take it anymore; I broke down, dumped Differin in the trash and went back to using Proactiv (which cleared me up in a couple of months).
Differin and RetinA are both at the top of my garbage list.

Closed Thread