It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 07:40 AM   #1

knut HB User
Post cyst-like acne around chin...same area, over&over again! Help?!?

I've been using bha, aha, bp, and regenerist now for a little while; and honestly, my skin over all is looking better. Red spots are slowly fading and I think my skin is getting smoother.

I get pimples here and there on other places of my face, but I can't stop them from coming around my chin and it's so frustrating. Right now, I have like 5 (three old, two new WOKE UP WITH THEM!!!!) pimples on my right side of my chin. I try and concentrate the topicals that I use on this particular area, and nothing seems to keep these things from coming up.

Any opinions or advise? From what I've read/figured; this would be considered "hormonal", but maybe not...., I just don't know.

And no, I don't rest my phone on this side of my face; I even make sure never to put the phone on this side.

If I switched to using a 10% bp on this area, does anyone think that would do any difference? I don't know what is worse, having a pimples spread out on my face, or having them all party right next to each other... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 09-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

too old for this HB User
Hello there. I had the same problem, only it was on my upper back. I was on topical and oral antibiotic, and they weren't working. I got sick and tired of it so went to a derm derm.

The new derm took one look at my back and said that it would keep happening in these areas over and over unless and until the pores were unclogged. She prescribed differin, a topical retinoid. It has made all the difference! (Sorry for the pun.) I haven't gotten any more in those problem spots, and the old red marks finally have a chance to fade.

Have you been to a derm? I know a lot of people on this board don't like differin, but it may work for you. As you say, your problem may be hormonal. But it also may be that those damaged pores just keep getting clogged and need to be unclogged.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 12:11 PM   #3

knut HB User
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've been on a lot of topicals and oral antibiotics also, never did the trick.

I have used differin before; but it was when I was younger, and honestly don't really rememeber my reaction to it. You could be right, just that the area is damaged and keeps getting clogged up.

I thought that the BHA was meant to open and get way down inside of the pores..... that the BP was to dry up the bacteria...... and that the AHA was to gradually exfolliate and get rid of the "dead skin".

I've been doing the routine pretty religeously...., so, aside from using something else in place of the BP (someone else posted about using retin-a instead...), then I don't know what to try next.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
Thumbs up

I had huge cysts on my chin that really really hurt. I was using proactiv, which kept my skin clear for 1yr and about 10 months. After that I started getting huge cysts only on my chin and the side of my chin and jawline. This went on for about 9 ninths, I switch bc's to yasmin. and I went on accutane. (the decision to finally go on accutane wasn't decided overnight, but it was the best decision I have made) All of this has cleared up. Honestly its probably not gonna go away on its own anytime soon. All of the cleansing products in the world isn't gonna help. I know because I must have tried everything. I even tried changing my diet. didn't work. Your gonna have to do something internally. I felt like my life was on halt a couple of months ago. Those cysts were taking over my life. Now I can finally move on... Just my personal advice and opinion. THANKS

Old 09-09-2003, 01:46 PM   #5

knut HB User
I so know what you mean. I've had bad breakouts that have made me stay home for what seemed like months at a time.... started taking some antibiotic and then the breakouts cleared up. I was my happy, old self again. Not worrying about my skin. Then, slowly, the cycle repeated, time, after time, after time. Then I went on Accutane. Happy me again...... then the cycle came back. Then started on antibiotics and topicals again. Well, this time, no clearing up. So, that's when I tried changing diet and my facial cleansing stuff. I got pretty clear that way, but I've yet to have a day go by where I have nothing on my face, and most days I have some huge cluster of FRIENDS on my chin.

I do know what you mean when you say that you feel like you can get on with your life now; I know that feeling, and I so want it back. I'm sick of myself worrying about this constantly. Who knows how many precious hours I've lost in front of the mirror. Congratulations to you

Old 09-09-2003, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
i feel for you knut...i've had the same problem, recurring...sometimes for weeks and weeks, sometimes for months and months. The only thing that worked recently was the Acne Cure, but you already know about that.
Another thing I used to use that I liked quite a bit was a topical gel like stuff made by Jarrow, it's an MSM gel with some alpha lipoic acid and other goodies. I think it's about $12 for a container that lasts a pretty good amount of time. When i was using that, i also used to take 1000mg tablets of MSM every day, and a little bit of zinc. Maybe 10mg, and i didn't worry if i missed a day.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
and if i can vent for a minute...i had a zit, not a cyst, just a large painful zit at the corner of my mouth, and OF COURSE i couldn't leave it alone! Now i have a red peely scabby thing. Blech!

Old 09-10-2003, 06:43 AM   #8

knut HB User
Hey Sedulous,

Don't you just haaaaaaaate that??!! I got this little clogged pore deal right next to my eyebrow. It wasn't red or anything, but of course, I figured that if I could just get out the "clog", then it would close up. Ha, yeah, right. I got out the clog alright, but now I have a red hole there. I went to get my eyebrows waxed the other day and was so scared that it would bleed. Was embarrasing in the first place having someone so close to my face.

Anyway, about the MSM; what did you feel like it did for you? Took away a pimple right away, or just a good something to help?

Now that I pretty much have the breakouts under control with the routine, I'd like to find something tolerable that will attack a pimple when I do get it. Right now, if I get one, I just know that it will be a good week of dealing with it, if not more.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:54 AM   #9

gilligan HB User
Hey Knut,
I did the same thing on my forehead a few weeks ago. it was like a tiny tiny clogged pore. even when I extracted it, it was easy to do and felt like it was "ready" I didn't pick, i just unclogged it. well, the next morning, it was a big hole, like you said. the skin was irritated and looked like a rug burn. it took a whole week to just heal. then, I did the same thing a few days ago. I think it's b/c I'm using alpha hydrox and it thins your skin, so even the slightest tampering will irritate and damage skin. you'd have thought i would learn my lesson the first time! so, now another week with a mess on my forehead.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:18 AM   #10

knut HB User
yeah, and isn't it just great when you are an "adult" in a work environment, dealing with co-workers and customers, vendors, etc..... and here's this crap on your face that is OBVIOUS that you've been messin with.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:24 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
hi knut-
i'd read a small booklet about MSM that totally sold me on taking it. For acne, and a bunch of stuff. And i will say i did notice positive changes in digestion and joint stuff within a couple weeks (i keep saying this- why the hell i don't still take it, i don't know. i need to get some). Anyway, when i saw the little tub of msm gel in my health food store, i figured it couldn't hurt, with all the goodies it had in it, and my little book had said that msm topically was good too.
I felt a cyst type problem growing deep down in my chin, wayyyyyyyyy down there, with a bit of pinkness on the surface. You know the type. i deeply rubbed in a couple dabs of this gel, a couple times a day, and two days later, it was GONE! It was the most amazing thing. i haven't had that sort of miraculous action since, but when my skin is really problematic, not just zits, but inflammation, soreness, every old thing going wrong, i start rubbing this stuff in once a day, and it seems to calm things down internally and externally, and heal the skin. Especially the peely red stuff. i've also found it to be good on sunburns, other skin issues, and joint aches.

[This message has been edited by sedulous (edited 09-10-2003).]

Old 09-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #12

knut HB User
Thanks Sedulous,
I'm just gettin all kinds of new tips... I had figured that I've spent enough HOURS on this board that I've read about everything, but I suppose not. I'm definitely going to look more into this. My BF and I are into sortof into health and wellness type of stuff anyway, so I'm up for trying anything.

Have a great day., thanks again for the info.

Closed Thread