It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

amb1 HB User
Lightbulb -------Sugar-------Want to cut it out with me??

After reading all the wonderful research going on here, thank you SweetJade, I have decided to cut out refined sugars. I don't consume too many as it is, but when I stop and think about it-- yea, there are a few more I could quit. I have done a detox program before and really made a point to cut out all refined foods, but I don't think that 15 days is long enough to notice.

This has all really made me start to think about sugar and stress and two times in my life when my acne was at it's most severe.

#1 Looking back (I am 25 now) acne was in my life since age 15. When I stopped and thought about it tonight, my skin was a whole lot worse after I stopped eating meat. Since I was a vegetarian, I think that my carb intake was too high, hence the severe acne. It's not until now that I realized that I made a bad decision . It was also at this time that I was in college and stressing out as most college kids do. In my case, it wreaked havoc on the skin.

#2 Another turning point was this last winter when I was going through the most severe cystic acne of my life. (I wrote here about it a few times). Last January, my best friend (all of 24), was killed in a car accident. This created, as it should, a lot of stress and difficuly emotions for me. It was this spring when I decided to go on Accutane. I have a week and a half to go, but am by no means sold that this is the "miracle cure" that the derms make it out to be. Granted, it has cleared the major spots but I am by no means clear. It kills me to be putting those pills into my mouth everyday.

That's me in a nutshell. Anyone interested in joining me, please DO!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 08:37 PM   #2

uniquejustlikeeveryoneels HB User
Im with ya!!! Im cuttin out refined sugars and carbs,well not all all carbs but most of em.

Old 09-07-2003, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

amb1 HB User
Great! I agree, not *every* carb, but everything refined.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:00 AM   #4

hockeyman HB User
hahahaha its always food isnt it

Old 09-07-2003, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

amb1 HB User
After you have been through every drug on the planet, you will try anything. IMO, this will be a whole heck of a lot harder than popping a pill, not to mention better for my body.

SO what you're saying is you don't want to join in? haha.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:48 AM   #6
Veteran

FuzzyWuzzy HB User
Yes, and dont forget to cut out foods high in transfats and starches, these guys play just as bad as role trust me. These would be like Pizza, white pasta, canned soups especially the creamy ones, cookies, cakes, muffins, bagels, white bread, corn, potatoes, chips, ice cream, candy, ...thats all i can think of now, feel free to add.

Old 09-07-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Fuzzy,
I remember how you were constantly asking all these diet questions on the board. Have you finally figured out that diet plays a role and if so, what have you found to be problematic for you? =)

Old 09-08-2003, 06:52 AM   #8

~Cansu~ HB User
Gotta say.. I've been on a sugar free diet for 10 days and it's going good for now. It makes sense since my blood sugar levels are higher than normal. Doctor said it could be early stages of diabetes. (?!!) Could this be related? Anyway, good luck to you all with your diets.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #9

zitzapper HB User
Question

I too have tried to cut out all of the carbs and starches but am wondering what you guys eat??

Old 09-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #10

zitzapper HB User
Question

I too have tried to cut out all of the carbs and starches but am wondering what you guys eat??

Old 09-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #11

zitzapper HB User
Question

What do you guys eat?

Old 09-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
I have been trying to stick to this diet too (it's so hard). Can you give me some examples of refined sugars and carbs?

I too agree with you that acne is definately worsened by stress and what you eat. I never had major skin problems like I've had this year. I underwent some severely stressful times this year and I believe that this was a major cause of the acne that I am now dealing with.

I am going to try very hard to stick to this diet w/ you. I hope to see positive results from this approach, afterall I've tried thousands of other things.

Old 09-08-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
(female)

amb1 HB User
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzyWuzzy:
Yes, and dont forget to cut out foods high in transfats and starches, these guys play just as bad as role trust me. These would be like Pizza, white pasta, canned soups especially the creamy ones, cookies, cakes, muffins, bagels, white bread, corn, potatoes, chips, ice cream, candy, ...thats all i can think of now, feel free to add.
Good list, Fuzzy, that's what I'm talking about!!

I am shooting for strictly lots of fresh veggies, lean protein, and a fruit here and there. I have basically done this for three years, but the morning latte and muffin have been my weakness, DOH! Seems that no matter how unrefined I try to make my diet, when I step back and look at it, there's always one more thing that can go. I am just looking to take it one more step!

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #14

wicketglen7 HB User
I am with ya! How long does it take to notice a difference? Does it usually take a month or so before you see if this is the culprit for you?

Closed Thread