It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Talking Retin-A micro jornal...

I just decided to try retin-A again. I want to keep this journal so I can track if I'm better or worse than on the tazorac. Besides, I ran out of taz, and I have a whole tube of retin-a left over--I want to save money.

I like that the taz makes me less oily, but I like that the retin-A makes me look younger. I opted to look younger--unless I break-out badly.

We'll see....
~EMMA

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-11-2003, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
how long were you on the taz. i can't remember and did it help with the red marks??? how much did you use at night (pea size?) and why are you switching?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2003, 09:40 PM   #3

neverendacne HB User
ive been on retin a cream .05 for 6 months. good results for me. be patient u will peel and dry out a bit

Old 06-12-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Hi Micheguns ,

I was on the retin-a for a year. I stopped in March, and switched to tazorac. I switched to taz b/c I was really oily.

I use more than a pea size amount for both meds--I experienced NO irritation on taz at all. It decreased my oil, but I look younger on the retin, which is why I switched back to the retin--it's not b/c the taz wasn't working for me--it was.

Both taz and retin help with red marks, but are by no means miracle cures. They just speed up the process.

Hi never
I'm glad you've had success with rhe retin!
-------------------------------------------------------
Day 2

I'm a little oilier than usual, but am PMS, so I usually am during this time.

No break-outs to mention. Just a few clogged pores.
A little peely today, but that's good b/c it's exfoliating. No redness.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-13-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Day 3
--------------------------------------------------------I'm very oily, and have one pimple, but am PMS, and got oily on the taz around a week before my period too, so I won't be able to determine if the retin is making me oilier until after I'm PMS. This was bad planning on my part--coinciding a new treatment with PMS!

The pimple I have is a clogged pore that has been troubling me for months, so maybe the retin is clearing it out.
No redness or peeling.
~Emma

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-14-2003, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Day 4
My skin is so oily. I woke up with such oily skin, and it gets oily an hour after I wash.

I knew the taz controlled my oil better, but if after my period I'm still this oily, I may have to go back to the taz--I mean, it's physically uncomfortable, and looks like I put olive oil on my face--yuck!

I just wish the taz made me look as young as the retin.

To anyone reading, I'm just curious, would you rather look younger, or have less oil?

Emma

No break-outs.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-14-2003, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
hey emma,
i am switching from tazorac to finiven (azelex acid) tonight and was wondering if you knew if they were similar in what they accomplish as far as the red marks and clogged pores. I am super oily and am wondering if it is due to the tazorac also, yet i am surfacely dry and tight...i am like carnuba wax for your car!!! it is gross, but i am having doubts about this azelex stuff. should i worry???

Old 06-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Hi Micheguns

I had almost no oil on the taz, but others here seem to have a lot of oil production on it. For some reason, it worked for me almost immediately(in the first 2 weeks). The only reason I switched to the retin-a is b/c it makes me look A LOT younger.It seems to be making me very oily though I knew it would increase it(I was on it b4), but I guess I hadn't realized just how well the taz controlled my oil.

As for the azalic acid, I don't have any personal experience with that--it's worth a try. This acne irradication is purely trial and error. IMHO, anything that makes me worse at first(purging) never works for me--ever. That's may just be me though.

I think Laur is on it, and I responded to her post. I'm a little concerned b/c it sounds like she's breaking-out so badly..I hope it is just temporary.

~Emma

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Day 5

2 new ones, but the other one is gone.Don't know whether to attribute this to retin, or PMS. Also very oily, which is starting to bother me. I forgot how uncomfortable it is.

If this keeps up after my period, I may have to go back to taz. It's so uncomfortable to have so much oil sitting on yor face. My wrinkles look better though.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-15-2003, 12:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
hi emma,
yeah laur and i just started the azeleic acid together and i am hoping that since i was on the taz for 8 weeks that my initial purging shouldn't be horrible (but that's just wishful thinking). i remember when i was on retina micro i never got oily, but i fried my face when i went to hawaii and was using it (even with spf30) so i stopped using it and never thought twice again about it....my derm. hasn't mentioned it either. so it is on to the azeleic acid....if it were me in your situation, i would stick with the oily skin and less wrinkles on the retina because when you are older (i don't know how old you are now), and when your acne has subsided naturally then you will be glad your skin looks young and you probably won't have to deal with the oily skin as you get older (as much anyway) because as we get older our skin dries out (mine probably not because like i said i could wax your car with my face), but anyway, that's my opinion, blot blot blot and when you are 40 you will be the envy of all your friends who are frantically turning to botox and whatnot to combat their wrinkles...
keep up the journal,
-M

Old 06-15-2003, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Hey Emma girl!

I wish you luck with the Retin A and hope the oil thing does not get you too crazy.

I wanted to update you:
I am STILL using the Retin A micro that I started in January. I can appeciate your Retin A journal..I think it's a good idea, but this medication REALLY takes a long time to see results. It took me a good 2 months to see SOME improvement, and it really depended on my monthly cycle as well. As months went on, it oly got better, but very s l o w l y !

So I'm 5 months into it and most resently started Finacea(azelaic acid) along with the Retin A and I love the combination. I tried Klaron for a short time with the Retin a and that combo made me shiny.

You are complaining about the shine....I apply it b4 bed and yeah, I may be tacky in bed, but I never really was bothered by it cause I'm asleep! I dont think it makes me more shiny......I just AM shiny and have learned to use oil control moisturizers and blotting tissues.

I will always have to use Retin A (I mean forever) to control my cysts that I get, and it IS keeping my skin looking young( and you know I'm 42).

I just want you to know that this is just one of those medications that really takes time to work and it's used over the long haul(unlike Finacea which works in days in my opinion!).

Hang in there, and I'll continue to read your journal.

Old 06-15-2003, 08:53 PM   #12
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Hi Micheguns

I agree about the wrinkles thing, which is why I went back to it. Like I said, the taz is working fine and controlled my oil, but it didn't take care of fine lines. The retin makes me extremely oily--I could wash YOUR car with MY oil while I'm on retin, :O I don't know why it does that to me, except that maybe it is too harsh, and I need to use a moisturizer with it. Problem is, I don't know of any that won't break me out. The taz cream had a PH balancer in it and mineral oil, etc. which I think stabilized my oil.

I'm 33 years old. I'm going to Hawaii on vacation soon!! I know to wear SPF and hats. My derm told me that retin actually helps prevent skin cancer in clinical studies, and not to stop it for the summer. Good luck with the azaelic acid--we're all pulling for you!! Why did you stop the retin--besides the sunburn? Did it work for you? Maybe if the a. acid doesn't work you can try it again--at least it got rid of your oil. DeeDee uses both--maybe that's an option for you?

Hey DeeDee
I was missing you--you haven't posted in a while. Besides, when I think of retin-a, I think of you! I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I know the retin-a takes a while, and I'm happy and grateful to say that I'm not that bad off to begin with. I may get an initial break-out, and I don't know if I really want to deal with that.

You should really start to see results after month six--that's when the wrinkles start to look a lot better, or so I've heard. Let us know. I'm glad to hear you look young--how old do people think you look?

Why do you use the azaleic acid with the retin a? What is it supposed to do in combination with the retin?

I'm shiny all day--bad. It looks like I put vaseline on my face. I use the blotters too. Thank G-d for them!

Emma http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-16-2003, 11:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
If anyone is following sweet Emma's journal....

I use Finacea WITH Retin A micro to help heal red marks left over by acne and to fade out hyperpigmentation from previous sun damage.

I think this will be the first summer that I will keep my promise and stay OUT of the sun.....I'm on too many things to handle the rays. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

How old do I look?? Well, I've been told 32-35. Maybe it's my short spiky "do" that I sport....whatever, I'll take the compliment!

Old 06-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #14
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Day 7
I have three big pimples--all came yesterday, but are going away already, but may leave red marks. This is either the initial break-out, or the PMS(I get this every month).

Either way, I'm trying to take it all in stride. I don't even really wear make-up anymore--just a little concealer on my new friends

Also, I wasn't even too oily today--dare I hope it lasts?!

Obviously, it is too soon to tell what is going on since it has only been a week.

~Emma

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 06-17-2003, 08:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
hi emma,
i do hope that the oil doesn't return on the retina...i don't think you are starting an initial breakout since you are jumping from tazorac to retina...i think it is just the pms doing its thing (lol)...i am having breakout city right now, i think, from the switch from the taz. to the azelex because, after 8 weeks, the derm. thinks that taz. could have been the culprit of my aggravated skin (ya think) Anyway, glad to hear that things are going well and the makeup is minimal. isn't refreshing not "having" to put makeup on? wow, i miss those days....i can't wear makeup right now because of how screwed up my face is, but boy did i love not having to cover up in the past. GOOD FOR YOU.... keep us posted
I am rooting for NO OIL NO OIL NO WRINKLES NO WRINKLES!!!
-M

Closed Thread