It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

TKK3 HB User
Spiro cured my acne

I am a 36 year old female and I have had acne since I was 19. I tried almost everything throughout the years including natural remedies and hard core medicine. Finally, without the consent of my dermotologist, I started taking Spiro with miraculous results. I now have been taking it for a year and have not had such clear skin since I was 18. I had horrible, deep and painful cysts as well as black heads and white heads all over my back, chest, arms and face. The worse was the cysts as they were very deep and ussually caused very large angry looking bumps. Now my skin is 100% clear and I use nothing else on my skin and even put lotion on every morning. I have had a full physical this year with great results, have had no side effects at all. The biggest obstacle I have now is that my skin is now in bad shape due to using drying products for the last 16 years, especially the aspirin mask. It seems like my skin is more aged than it really is. I wish there was a product that would tighten really well. However, I am free of acne and that is a miracle as far as I am concerned!

Just wanted to let everyone know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

Cakies HB User
Re: Spiro cured my acne

thanks for posting your story sounds alot like me I am 21 and started to get acne when I was 19 I had perfect clear skin all through high school and then all of the sudden I started to get bad acne at 19. Right now I am on Yasmin and 100mgs spiro and my skin is clear, my derm wouldn't perscribe it but my GP did because she thought it would help with water retention from birth control pills and my acne. I too have no side effects. If anyone out there is thinking about spiro then do it, its way better than accutane, which didn't work for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

karm0099 HB User

just my 2 cents - spiro worked for me too

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
(male)

bob2009 HB User

just curious.. what amount did you guys start at and what did you end up taking as far as the amount(mgs)re you all still on it and if not did you stay clear? did any of you take 200mgs and notice your hair grew alot?

Last edited by bob2009; 07-30-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
(female)

velvet rose HB User

1) how long did it take for you to see results?

2) what dose were you on?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
(female)

Cakies HB User

I take 150mg and I saw results after on month and was clear in two months, I am still taking it along with Yasmin birthcontrol because it can mess with your period cycle. You have to keep taking it its not like accutane where you take it for a certain amount of time then stop, it will stop working if you stop taking it. As for the hair no I have not noticed that my hair grew a lot, the hair on my head is the same, I have slightly less body hair but I never had excessive body hair to begin with. For me Spiro has very few side effect far less than Accutane which dried my skin so bad it hurt, lots of bloody noses and bloody lips and gave me awful headaches and after all that my acne came back in 6 months.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
(male)

bob2009 HB User

did you drink lots of water and did the yasmin make you moody? yasmin has 25mgs of spiro in it. does that mean you really take 175mgs? also how do you take it each day? do you divide it up? did it lower sex drive. just curious. thanks

Last edited by bob2009; 08-01-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
(female)

karm0099 HB User

Bob - men should NOT take spiro!! It is an anti-androgen and will affect your testosterone causing femitization in males. Most women have to take BC on it because of birth defects. I have no tubes, so BC is not an issue for me while taking Spiro as I can not get pregnant.

Other answers to questions for female users:
Yes it can make periods irregular
Yes drink lots of water at first, it's a diaretic - u will adjust
Did not kill my sex drive like BC did.
Started on 25mg, now up to 150mg (going to try gradually decreasing dose)
It got worse b4 it got better.
5 months in and getting better all the time.
It takes time to work for most women, but it does work
My dr. said to stay on it if I want clear skin until menopause

Old 08-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
(female)

Cakies HB User

karm is right men should not take spiro, sry I didn't notice you were male. I had remarkably fast results my doctor was amazed, though, I had been on the yasmin for a while which helped alot so when I started the spiro my acne wasn't as bad as usual, Yasmin cleared my cysts, the spiro got rid of the rest of the pustules and white heads. I honestly didn't have to try to drink a ton of water because it make me thristy so I wasn't keeping track of the water I drank I was just drinking when I was thirsty.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
(male)

bob2009 HB User

my niece is on 50mgs am and 50 pm. she tried 100 in am and 50 in pm but made her sick. her doc.says 200 is what she needs for clear skin. thats why i asked. what gets worse before better? the acne? she is on yaz and has a little breakout now. she wants to up the dosage but is scared to. what do you suggest? she doesnt want to be tired and she really doesn't have much appetite which is unusual for her. what do you suggest?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
(female)

eastcoastgrl HB User

Anyone Suffering from acne not responding from other treatments, I have to say Spiro is a miracle! I have had bad acne since 19yrs also. I'm 30 now. Went on everything under the sun including accutane 3x's, which worked the 3rd time well but acne came back almost as badly after 3 yrs off. I was so desperate and tried retin-A again, Yas, peels, laser tx's including resurfacing for scars. I did not want to go through the side effects or the cost of accutane again so researched online and I'm so grateful I found this thread.

Because of the input on this message board I called my Dr. and she ok'd 100 mg SPIRO. I am PRACTICALLY OIL FREE AFTER ONLY 1.5 WEEKS!!!! No new acne and all old cysts are healing! Additionally I had thick facial hair which I was waxing up to 2x's a week and I am noticing that it is FALLING OUT!!!! It is such a miracle. I registered to this site b/c I am so grateful and want to let other women know who may also be suffering. It is inexpensive too!!! i cannot believe it. My lingering concern is what caused this imbalance? and should I be treating the cause too?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #12
(female)

kesae HB User

I think the best part about taking spiro is that the painful cystic pimples go away. It also helps that oiliness is reduced. I've been on it now for about 6 months taking 100mg. I still get oily skin though but not as much had I not been taking spiro. I want to take 200mg but I'm concerned about how drained or tired I feel all the time possibly from taking 100mg a day. Does anyone else get the same effects? Also there is another medication called cyproterone that is available in other countries like Canada that might work better. Has anyone tried cyproterone or know anyone who has used it?

Last edited by kesae; 11-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
(female)

sweetlily HB User

I used spiro for a year and my skin clear. I went off the pills and my skin went crazy. My face is filled with all types of acne. is scary. I dont know if i was supposed to be on it forever. anyone had a similar experience

Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

Spiro is a miracle. I am on 200mgs and Yaz. I feel great and i'm acne free. My skin looks flawless and everyone says It is beautiful and glowing. I am not tired. I am happy and no mood swings with Yaz. It has taken 5 months to clear my skin and all I can say is that Spiro is a miracle and I'm not retaining water anymore and I look 10 lbs thinner. I can't believe the difference so anyone taking 100mgs and no luck then it's because you need 200 to work.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #15
(female)

kesae HB User

Was your face very oily or did you just have break outs?

Closed Thread