It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 04:18 PM   #1

badtzjunk HB User
Post Purpose Moisturizing Foaming Cleanser ?

I'm curious about using this cleanser, but I'm wondering if it's as effective when used on oily/combination skin? [as the product says it's for normal/dry skin]

I'm currently using Pro Activ, which I'm planning on phasing out [not necessarily that it didn't work].

Would this cleanser be a good substitute for the Benzoyl Peroxide-based cleanser of the first step of Proactiv ?

Thanks greatly for any help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 09:30 PM   #2

badtzjunk HB User
Question

?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Talking

This is my all-time favorite cleanser. I also have oily skin, and although the tube says it's for normal/dry skin, it is just perfect for me. It cleanses the skin well and doesn't leave it tight or dry. This actually makes my skin LESS oily, because if your skin is overstripped, then it will produce MORE oil to compensate.

It is fragrance free, oil free, and soap free. If you're a female, it removes ALL makeup, even waterproof mascara!!

I've been using this cleanser for over a year now, and I have absolutely no plans on switching.

If you are no longer going to use the Proactiv cleanser, I suggest that you add something into your routine to help with the exfoliation (as Purpose does not contain the gentle scrubbies like the Proactiv does). You can try an AHA or BHA product. The best are from Alpha Hydrox (drugstore) or Paula's Choice (website only).

Good luck! I hope you love it as much as I do!!

Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #4

badtzjunk HB User
Thanks for the reply TimDream! [I've been searching extensively, and found your posts very informative] ...!!! Thanks for putting in your free time on the board!!!

My plan is to use ....

Purpose Moisturizing Foaming Cleanser [morning/night]

Alpha Hydrox 10% [morning] / Paula's Choice %2 Liquid [night]

?????? = do you have a suggestion for a benzoyl peroxide cream that's effective? [i really like the texture/feel of the 3rd step of Proactiv. It's very silky feeling]

That's should be about all I need right? I probably won't need a moisturizer [i'll look into it, if I feel I need it] Also, I might pick up the Neutrogena DryTouch for sunblocking.

Thanks for the help! [very!] much appreciated!

Old 09-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #5

badtzjunk HB User

Old 09-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

My pleasure, badtzjunk! Glad I could be of help.

That routine sounds really good to me! It sounds very much like my routine! Here is my routine:

AM:
~ Purpose Moisturizing Foaming cleanser or Proactiv Cleanser (I like the scrubbing action every once in a while)
~ PC 1% BHA

PM:
~ Purpose MFC (because it removes all my makeup, and yes, I am a girl! )
~ PC 2% liquid solution

About once a week, I will do a mask with Milk of Magnesia (for oil absorbtion) or Zia Papaya Enzyme Peel.

I used to use the AH 10% Enhanced Creme at least a couple times a week, but since I no longer break out I don't have any more red marks to get rid of. I still use it every so often, if I feel like I need an extra "glow!"

I agree with you...my favorite BPO product is the Proactiv Reparing Lotion. I agree that the texture is much better than others out there...it is not thick like those creams from the drugstore, but it is not as runny as the PC BPO formulations. Also, it is the only BPO I've ever tried that does not leave any white residue AT ALL! And like you said, it is super gentle and does not feel like it is burning my face like other BPO products do.

If you do not want to buy the entire Proactiv kit, you can usually buy the lotion itself pretty cheap from ebay. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif

For another option for a spot treatment, have you ever tried Queen Helene Mint Julep mask? You can blob it onto any blemishes at night, and by the next morning they are much, much smaller! The active ingredients are sulfur and clay. I used this a lot when I was still breaking out and it helped a lot! This can be found in drugstores, in the skincare aisle. It is usually on the bottom shelf because it is so inexpensive - only about $3-4 for a HUGE tube!!

I really think that an additional moisturizer is a matter of your own personal opinion. I know that for me, the PC 1% lotion or the AH Enhanced Creme give me all the moisture that my skin needs!

Old 09-05-2003, 10:29 PM   #7

Tummy HB User
I've been using this for over 6 months. NO better product out there if you ask me. Its not a medicated cleanser like Salicylic acid, but its just a plain, good, cleanser that wont affect your face in any negative way. Some people seem to just get acne caused by aggravation and for those people, this product is just awesome. I say use your medicated products in the form of topicals, but when cleansing your face, use something gentle like this...its great.

Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 AM   #8

badtzjunk HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by TimDream:
I used to use the AH 10% Enhanced Creme at least a couple times a week, but since I no longer break out I don't have any more red marks to get rid of. I still use it every so often, if I feel like I need an extra "glow!"
Is the enhanced creme better to use than the other one Alpha Hydrox offers [that's 10%] ?

Is it okay to use the Alpha Hydrox every evening?

About the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque .... I actually DO have it! Bought it ON SALE @ walgreens for $1.99 about two weeks ago. I use it as a mask every sunday night. One more question though ....

If I use it as a spot treatment, is it okay to use it after my night routine? [Purpose Cleanser, BHA, ProActiv BP]

or, do I skip the BP and just use the QHMJM for the spot treatment?

thanks again! :P

Old 09-06-2003, 01:40 AM   #9
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

The other 10% AHA that AH offers is the Oil-Free Gel (which is much harder to find). The Enhanced Creme is more moisturizing than the gel, but the gel is much lighter. I can't really say that one is better than the other. The Enhanced Creme contains stearic acid, which is comedogenic for some people. But the Gel contains sea kelp extract, which is comedogenic for others. It just depends on your skin. I've had good luck with both!

It is okay to use the AH every evening, as long as you don't have sensitive skin. Keep tabs on your skin - if it gets too irritated or red, then just cut back to using it every other night, or a few times a week.

It should be okay to use the QH MJM after your entire night routine, as long as you use it on spots only. Like the AH, though, just monitor your skin and how it's reacting.

Then again...It might be worth it to experiment with using the QHMJM only, and NO BP for a while. After all, the QHMJM is MUCH cheaper!! Also, some people's skin reacts badly to BP, and they don't realize that they're doing it harm, and they just keep using the BP. Maybe your skin will do better if you take a break! Maybe try it for a week or so, and see what kinds of results you get??

Old 09-06-2003, 02:43 AM   #10

badtzjunk HB User
Since the Enhanced Creme is more 'moisturizing' ... do I have to wait longer until I can put on the BP versus using the gel-version?

I don't think ProActiv makes a 5% BP version of that product. Would 5% be more effective?

Hopefully this new regime will be better than using just strictly ProActiv.

Thanks again TimDream! Great info. as always

Old 09-06-2003, 01:35 PM   #11
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

I don't think you have to wait longer with the Creme version. Just as long as the creme is rubbed into your skin completely, which doesn't take long. The Enhanced Creme is pretty light, not heavy.

Research shows that 5% and 10% BP is no more effective than 2.5%; they are just more irritating to the skin. This is why I suspect that Proactiv does not make a higher percentage BP product. You should be fine with the Proactiv lotion.

I do think that your new regime will be more effective than just Proactiv alone. I found that when I just used Proactiv, it helped to clear blemishes but my face was left very dry and rough! With the incorporation of the more gentle cleanser, and the added chemical exfoliation of the BHA and AHA, my skin was much softer and the blemishes decrease even more because all the "gunk" was being swept away, not just "killed" by the BP.

I think that Proactiv just doesn't incorporate more AHA and BHA in its original system because some people do not have success with BHA. More people respond quicker to BP, but I think that BHA really usually has more success in the long run. But people are looking for more of a quick fix when they try this product off the television! I believe Proactiv's new cleanser contains BHA, though (not part of the system...just a new cleanser).

Anyway, good luck again!

Old 09-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #12

badtzjunk HB User
Is the Alpha Hydrox 10% Enhanced Creme more effective than the 8% Paula's Choice Alpha Hydroxy Acid Solution?

Also, are any of the ingredients in the Proactiv [repairing lotion] BP product, pore clogging?

thanks!

*last questions, promise*

[This message has been edited by badtzjunk (edited 09-06-2003).]

Old 09-06-2003, 03:36 PM   #13
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Hi! From my experience, the PC and the AH AHA products are about the same. You can always request a free sample of the PC AHA to try for yourself though!

Of course, pore clogging ingredients vary from person to person. BUT, from the lists of well-known, most common pore cloggers, there are no comedogenic ingredients in Proactiv's BP lotion.

Don't apologize for the questions! I don't mind!

Old 09-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #14

badtzjunk HB User
I believe I have a little tube of Clean & Clear [i think?] Benzoyl Peroxide 10% ..... it comes in a tiny tube, I'm assuming mostly for spot treatment.

Should/Can I use this on top of the 3rd step of my regime [ProActiv BP] ...? Or would putting a BP on top of the ProActiv BP basically useless?

Instead, should I just not EVER use the 10% BP and just use the QH JMM as my Spot Treatment?

Old 09-06-2003, 09:33 PM   #15
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

If you use the Proactiv 2.5% BP, you definitely do not have to use the 10% BP on top of it!! Especially something by Clean & Clear...I would never trust my skin to that company! Most of their products are WAY too harsh and not really effective...that's why they're so cheap from the drugstore!

I was just suggesting that you try the QH MJM as your ONLY spot treatment for about a week...and see what happens! Maybe your skin will be happier without the BP...maybe not! You could just try it out and see how your skin reacts! If your skin does not do well with only the QH MJM, you can always add the BP back into the mix.

Closed Thread