It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 02:13 AM   #1

dbarker348 HB User
Post How to get rid of a huge cyst?

Hey,
I've been getting a huuuuuge cyst right next to my eyebrow (just above my nose) for the past few days and today it's probably the worst it has been.

It really hurts and it's soooooo red. I've been using my azelaic acid cream as normal but I don't think it has helped. I don't get that many cysts but when I do they are very nasty.

Does anyone have any idea how to make it better? I took some ibuprofen yesterday but I don't think it made a difference.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-11-2003, 05:17 AM   #2

Forcefed4 HB User
Ibuprofen is only a mild anti-inflammatory, so some of the swelling of the cyst will go down when taking it. Otherwise, it's not gonna make the cyst any better.

Wish I had an answer, but I don't. I have an appointment with my derm this afternoon, since I have been getting deep, cyst like nodules all over my face and neck for the last few months. It's getting worse, and I can't seem to figure out the cause.

My advice is just leave it alone, anything you do will irritate it, and make it hurt worse (been there, done that). If it's really large, try and see a doctor about it.

Kev

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 06:56 AM   #3

knut HB User
I only just did this once, yesterday, on a big ole nodule thing that I woke up with. I suppose that it might have turned into a cyst....I asked the same question on this board a couple days ago, and thankfully someone told me about it.

Put a little dab of hydrocortisone cream on it - just a tiny little bit, and just on the actual bump itself. No other medicine at the time either.

I was afraid to do it too much, or too often, but I did it like twice, and with in a day, the thing flattened out. It still hasnt' gone away, but I believe that it's healing up sooner than it would have normally.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:42 AM   #4

MysteryGrl HB User
I usually get it injected with cortisone at my derm's office. If I can't make it for an appointment, I dab some hydrocortisone cream on the cyst only and take ibuprofen. It usually reduces the size and lessens the pain in about 2 or so days. I'd much rather have the shot because within 24 hours it's like it was never there.

------------------
Lori

Old 09-11-2003, 07:45 AM   #5

KJdancer HB User
i say use ibuprofen & otherwise leave it completely alone. do not try to pick at it or anything. once i took someone's advice & tried to puncture a cyst with a safety pin.. BAD IDEA! the thing got infected & doubled in size. and it hurt like hell. i had to go on antibiotics & it took maybe a week before it calmed down.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 AM   #6

Hopetimistic HB User
Knut,

would the hydrocortisone cream, or anything else, work on old cyst remnants underneath the skin too?

I am no expert on these matters. Please consult the (supposed) experts, and seek the advice of other people as well.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:07 AM   #7

knut HB User
I honestly don't know.... , but, just thinking reasonably...... I suppose that the hydrocortisone, when used for other purposes, reduces inflammation and swollen areas (like, say hemmoroids).

So, I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to try it, but I would only do just a little tiny bit, only on the old cyst, and just see the reaction. I actually have an old one that I may do that with. Oh, but before you do, do a search on this board and see if there were other threads that mention it. Like I said, I only just learned about this a couple days ago.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:26 AM   #8
(female)

bluesclues HB User
One thing I've noticed that has worked for me is Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask as a spot treatment. I've been on retin-a micro and BP for about a month and I'm also taking Doxycycline, but I honestly didn't see any improvement until I used the mask. The parts of my skin that did not have blemishes became smoother looking, but the other acne prone areas became worse. I used this mask for 2 days and only applied it to the affected areas and the bumps have gone done considerably. I actually feel confident. I still have very small bumps but these used to be very noticeable and it's only been 2 days!

I've used almost every prescription and non-pres. drug there is and not even BP dries up blemishes this fast.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:34 AM   #9

dbarker348 HB User
Thanks for the replies!!! I really appreciate it. Well I'm going out in about an hour and my cyst is huuuuge but I'm not that worried about it.

I was going to apply some hydrocortisone cream but when I found the stuff we had, it's use by date was 1992! lol. So we need some more!

I've never actually used that stuff before but from what I've heard it sounds good.

I think I'm gonna buy a good face mask when I have the money too.

Thanks again,
Dave

Old 09-11-2003, 01:16 PM   #10

wicketglen7 HB User
I have said it a zillion times... LOL
Epsom salt compresses for 5 minutes a day for a week. It will work much sooner than that, but you just do it for good measure. It softens up the hardness of the cyst, small pimple whatever. IT is used for inflammation so the red and swelling goes down really fast. Plus yeah use ibprofen cuz it is for inflammation as well...

Old 09-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #11

colleenredmond HB User
Ice or warm compresses and BPO that is all you can do. Try 10% BPO on it. You can try seeing a derm for a cortisone shot but I have never gotten one cause my dumb !@@ derm does not do that. But oh well he is a family friend and free so I see him.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 AM   #12

oth&vmlover HB User
Re: How to get rid of a huge cyst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicketglen7
I have said it a zillion times... LOL
Epsom salt compresses for 5 minutes a day for a week. It will work much sooner than that, but you just do it for good measure. It softens up the hardness of the cyst, small pimple whatever. IT is used for inflammation so the red and swelling goes down really fast. Plus yeah use ibprofen cuz it is for inflammation as well...

what is Epsom salt? please i dont know what to do i want to get rid of this deep pimple or cyst w/e it is! in at least 3 days!!! please help!

Closed Thread