It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

ForgottenFaith HB User
This routine is working wonders for me...

Now, I can't give all the credit to my new regimen, as I took Accutane about 6 years ago and it reduced my condition to mild-moderate. However, since then, I have tried every OTC imaginable to tame my condition --- so I thought I'd share it with you. I'm not saying this is a one-size fits all regimen, but it should help those of you with sensitive and dry skin. Here's a few pointers and suggestions:

1. Kiss My Face Moisture Soap with Olive & Aloe [also contains vitamin a, d and e --- This cleanser is extremely gentle and it contains moisturizing properties. This a good cleanser if your skin doesn't respond particularly well to the more lotion-based cleansers or acne soaps [bp, salicylic acid, etc].
2. Sea Breeze Hydrating Moisturizer --- Now, this product is a gem to me. It's the only moisturizer that I've ever used [and I've tried a lot] that doesn't break me out. It's very lightweight and it leaves your skin feeling silky. One of the best gentle moisturizers, in my opinion.
3. Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera --- Everyone should have this in their arsenal. It's great for sunburns, but this particular product doesn't provide that much moisturizing effects. It's still good to have, however.
4. Buy an effective BP spot treatment. This is a must, as we all know.
5. Take a multi-vitamin and give Fish Oil a shot. If you're concerned that you're not getting enough nutrients from the food you eat, then take supplements.
6. Drink plenty of water.
7. Don't pick at your face --- It's difficult, but you have to restrain yourself.
8. Stay away from products claiming to combat acne --- This means, staying away from all those soaps, toners and moisturizers. All they do is irritate your skin further by drying it out. Yes, it does help the pimples go away faster, but overall, they just damage your skin further.
9. Always use a clean towel to dry your skin --- remember, to pat your skin dry, not rub.

Guys:
If you suffer from ingrown hairs, I suggest you do the following:
1. Opt for a double-edged razor. It's less expensive than the conventional multi-blade systems out there, and they're far more gentler on the skin. Not to mention, they shave just as well. Also, the blades don't get clogged up with the gunk from the shaving gel and your own facial hair.
2. King of Shaves Shaving Gel --- I use the sensitive skin cooling gel and it works great. It contains aloe, tea trea oil, vitamin e and it's very low foam --- so you're able to see the area you shave. The antiseptic properties of this product is a nice touch.
3. Use a gentle salicyclic acid toner afterwards. I use Almay's line of toners and they work great. They don't burn at all.
4. Finish off by using aloe vera gel.
5. Try shaving more often if your skin allows it. If you have sensitive skin, and you allow your facial hair to grow too long, it's going to irritate your skin. If you see that your face breaks out after 'x' amount of days of shaving, then that's your threshold --- shave before that.

Last edited by ForgottenFaith; 08-14-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread