HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   Gave up and living with Acne (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/644485-gave-up-living-acne.html)

tamt 10-25-2008 08:39 PM

Gave up and living with Acne

I remember the day (no exaggeration) my acne began. It was during the summertime when I was 11 years old. Towards the end of the day, the sun was setting and we were sitting outside, my face started to itch. Oh my god my face won't stop itching, it was insane i couldn't think and it was starting to hurt to scratch. we rubbed my face with alcohol, we got the calamine lotion, we even put some toothpaste on it nothing stopped the itching. I ended the night with a cold towel on my face. The next morning, bloop. Pimple. On my face. Granma said not to mess with it so i didn't. More bloops appeared. About a year later and in a different city My aunt dorothy decides she can't stand my pimples and wants to pop them. I didn't want her to and wouldn't let her. She then tells me how there are worms living in my face. Popped one and showed me the "worm". I've been picking at my face since. I've had acne since. I tried all sorts of astringents, home remedies and what not. I would like something that isn't time consuming, doesn't cost a lot (I'm talking around 5 dollars) and works. I haven't come across that yet so I'm living with my acne. I've thought about trying proactive and I don't really want to have to spend 30 dollars every month for the rest of my life so I live with my bumps.

I've had varying degrees of acne the last 15 years. Sometimes it's the deep painful ones. Sometimes a rash of blackys appear and sometimes its mysterious clusters and others (these are the ones i like) that when you squeeze them out they are gone and done for.

I think I'm going to pick up the search again for something that works.

ukladybird 10-28-2008 01:53 PM

Re: Gave up and living with Acne

please stop Picking :) I am a big picker infact started a thread as I got to a point it wa sa few times a day, I ahve had Acne , bad hormonal pregancy acne like someone throw acid at my face , when i popped that it was getting that green stuff out (which was infexted and I shouldnt have I probably spread it partly myself)

funny you should mention Proactiv but I just started on it (did it after the aboce happened and it helped alot so much I stopped using it ! (bad move) then I got it back slowly year after year it got worse, then I discovered the Sunbed made it better (but its masks it and now understanding not the best thing then when you stop as I have well all hell breaks lose!)

I have Tried let me see..many of the ranges!!! you can buy in say Target Neutrogena, Ponds, Olay, then things like Clinique, Clarins $$$ brands, then some Organic line off Ebay loved that for a while but then I broke out... then saw a Murad informmercial and tried that , which was the last one I tried but I didnt like it BUT you know what yot gotta find something that works for you...theres not one answer!

again, its not good to pick them even if they do shoot out like Worms LOL but yes its the touching I feel makes it worse and spread...try not touching your face, good look with the research I have done that ALOT and it can give you a headache but its trial and error I even read this week people use URINE Yep Pee look it up! but I dont think its something I could do! but people feel desperate and will try anything and heck if it works for them its great!!!!! try googling URINE for ACNE..its an interesting read if nothing else...

good luck!!!! and I hope you find something that works soon!!!!

tamt 10-29-2008 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=ukladybird;3775614]please stop Picking :) I am a big picker infact started a thread as I got to a point it wa sa few times a day, I ahve had Acne , bad hormonal pregancy acne like someone throw acid at my face , when i popped that it was getting that green stuff out (which was infexted and I shouldnt have I probably spread it partly myself)

funny you should mention Proactiv but I just started on it (did it after the aboce happened and it helped alot so much I stopped using it ! (bad move) then I got it back slowly year after year it got worse, then I discovered the Sunbed made it better (but its masks it and now understanding not the best thing then when you stop as I have well all hell breaks lose!)

I have Tried let me see..many of the ranges!!! you can buy in say Target Neutrogena, Ponds, Olay, then things like Clinique, Clarins $$$ brands, then some Organic line off Ebay loved that for a while but then I broke out... then saw a Murad informmercial and tried that , which was the last one I tried but I didnt like it BUT you know what yot gotta find something that works for you...theres not one answer!

again, its not good to pick them even if they do shoot out like Worms LOL but yes its the touching I feel makes it worse and spread...try not touching your face, good look with the research I have done that ALOT and it can give you a headache but its trial and error I even read this week people use URINE Yep Pee look it up! but I dont think its something I could do! but people feel desperate and will try anything and heck if it works for them its great!!!!! try googling URINE for ACNE..its an interesting read if nothing else...

good luck!!!! and I hope you find something that works soon!!!![/QUOTE]
I don't know how to stop picking. It's wierd. I can leave a body wound/scab alone until it falls off itself if it's on my body. If it's above the jawbone it bothers me until i "get it". If I go more than 2 days without doing it I start feeling panicky and feel like I have to check and make sure I don't have any giant pimples greeting the world before I do. When I check next thing you know I've been in the bathroom an hour and my face is slightly swollen in the spots i picked at. Urine for acne? I'm unsure about trying it, not because of the "ew" factor but because I heard that urine isn't sterile after it leaves the bladdar. If it's supposed to be glands and germs that's causing my acne I don't want to add anymore to it, although maybe the urea might be toxic to some of them. I don't know.. thanks for the suggestion, I'll investigate that further.

ukladybird 10-29-2008 03:27 PM

Hello there,
I kinda wish I hadnt mentioned the Urine thing :) I wasnt suggesting trying it really ;) I read up on it thats all..and theres people who say it works, but for me I know I wasnt going to do that., it is scary how desperate you become to think " what new thing will work! " you know all the natural remedies Toothpaste , lemon juice etc etc! and yes Pee ...I just knew I could never do that..though if was proven to cure Acne we would be getting the cotton balls out everytime we peed to apply it! a scary thought but I feel its something people would do to have clear skin! (and some people Do) is sure is free :)

I think you Pick for very Deep reasons? and I hope you dont take this way but maybe talking to a health care proffesional might help???? its good to talk about things..

really is it very hard but touching your face and playing is really one of the worst things to do...and I dont need a fancy dermatologist to tell me that :)

its obvious that you can spread bacteria and oil around and causing a erruption , so really when you have the urge to Pick maybe go do something else???

I understand how hard it us but its definately and decission you have to want to make

I monday hit that point and still have not touched my face and I feel I am starting to feel good about the choice to stop...you can do it :)

have you told anyone about this? I confided in my good friend Monday and she wasnt judgemental at all she again said what I aready now DONT PICK!

I am using Proactiv and I feel it is starting to help...they are drying up :)

I too have a big scab on my chin but trying to let it be.....its gonna fall off when its ready :)

I am lucky I am a stay home mum and right now my daughter has a cold so I have been home with no make-up on and thats helped alot, do you wear it at all? I can not wear makeup I do go to the gym and often apply it to go there as I am so embarassed but I do use Bare mineral makeup and that doesnt clog (they say but still probably not a good )

well again, please dont think I was trying to say use pee on your face :) it is interesting to search things , and like I say to people all the time the internet can be a great tool but it can also make us feel worse and give is mixed messages...the thing is with Acne is trial and error ..I never bash anyone for trying things and saying it works as I really think people react to products differently I used MURAD hated it BUT many people swear by it...and at the end of the day thats wonderful....I am happy for anyone who finds products or secret that works even if that is Pee :)

well try and think about how much this is affecting your life

think is the pay off of pciking worth losing out on other things??? if I can do this you can! :)

have a good rest of your day
take care

Marieh83 08-10-2009 11:42 AM

i can't help to pick at mine, because sometimes the pressure builds up and they are eye watering painful and too be honest i'd rather have a red mark than a big bag of puss on my face. also if i leave them and dont "get the poison out" they do not go away, they will just stay there . and they scar even if i dont squeeze them so i cant win either way.

rosequartz 08-10-2009 12:13 PM

go get a facial from a qualified estetician