It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
(female)

ukladybird HB User
Acne~Face Pickers~retired Pickers ??

Hi there!
I am trying to find people who WERE or are "Face Pickers" I as of yesterday have decided to stop Picking my face which I have through my own stupidity picked and made a mess of my face! scabs and soreness , I am intersted to hear if people do really overcomes this....

I am 34 and have had proper Acne (during pregancy that was hormonal and then after birth was like acid was thrown at my face it was bubbly and like full of stinky green puss, I had to go on a perscription (had to stop nursing ) I never saw a proper Dermatologist, was too embarassed silly I know!

It cleared up (but left marks where it was really bad) I then tried Proactiv then stopped and my skin started to break out (not like before) but more thna jsut the occational zit..jsut enver seemed zit free.....(not all over my face jsut areas where the same ones would come over and over...

_ I have a clearer face when I use a tanning bed then its is better,think tan hides them better mostly . Well I have recently stopped doing that and well I think now I am paying for it !

I cant live on a sunbed all year around I generally go on a few months before Summer to actually hide a birth defect and mark on my leg (all over another long story but hence why I tan sometimes ) it helped my ACNE but dont want to have to be on now!!!! and now see that I probably blocked all the Pores and hence why I am getting it bad again?

so yesterday after a picking session then feeling crappy, I found this HealthBoard and signed up, I felt like GET A GRIP just stop picking your face! thats what I have decided to do! is quit , I am using Proactiv a friend of mine is in the CLub, and she had a spare kit , I am hopeful it will help me!

I havnt picked my Face since yesterday, I really want to stop! and hope some people will read this and give me hope and encouragent

having bad skin can really strip away at your confidence, I am 34 and I joke with my husband I am gonna be 60 and still have bad skin (not funny) but I really just want to have nice skin.......thats all is it alot to ask but I realize pixking is the worst thing I ever did! and often it was no real big zit just something Minute!!!! so silly.....so avoidable! but once you get into a stupid habit like 'PICKING" its hard to stop! some people I ahve read have deeper reasons for doing it a payoff? I dont feel I get a "payoff" like High from it, for me if was something to do as stupid as it sounds!!! now I need to change it for good!!!

Thanks for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

Nici11 HB User
Re: Acne~Face Pickers~retired Pickers ??

uklady,

I feel like I am in the same boat as you, at least for today. I go through different phases of how bad my skin is or how much i like it, or at least don't mind it. Today, it is very icky, and have started thinking, once again, that I need to stop picking! However, I don't know if my picking habit is because I've had acne for so long, or if it's an anxiety thing. (I have recently started to think that I might have a little bit of an anxiety problem.)
All in all, reguardless of how I'm feeling today, or how I may be feeling tomorrow, or next week, I know I need to stop picking (not only my acne, but also my fingers! which I have been doing for almost as long as I can remember...it is also another reason I believe I may have an anxiety problem).
I hope that we may be able to support each other in this task, and maybe other people will be able to give us advice on how to stop.
Thanks for posting!
I'm qutting picking..right...now!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
(female)

ukladybird HB User

Hi there!
I was wondering if anyone was going to reply I see so many threads with lots of people looking but nobody writing anything and thats the point? Heehee! anyways! Thanks for taking time to write me back.

yes you gotta stop Picking!!! right now! I know its very difficult TRUST ME! I would go in the bathroom and sit up on the counter (yes put my feet in the sink) and I would sit there for sometimes 20- 30 mins! I would find any tiny blackhead anything! and pick at it...I ahve even used a finger nail file to poke at blackheads used to be good and the blackhead would come out and I would think YEah awesome but lately all its been doing is like leaving red marks in my head!!!! what a mess!!!

I am 34 and I think at my age I would know better right?????

I think it really did hit me yesterday....like how pathetic I feel, not being able to not pick my face like HELLO jsut walk away! dont do it!!!! but when I am doing it (was ) heehee
I would tell myself to STOP STOP but I didnt! like common!!!! jsut stop!!!!!

but I have gotten so fed up with trying to go to the gym with marks and feeling oh god people are looking at me (trust me we all think that way) but mine isnt that bad, when I see People who have proper Acne I feel wow you are stupid to get all silly about what I have look what they have to deal with everyday and I almost want to go to them and say I understand how you feel but think man I might get hit in the nose! but yes I do understand.........

but anyways waffling here LOL..........really try not picking your face do you think you do it at certain times? you metion you think pick when you feel a certain way...well when you feel that coming on make a decission to go do something else.......

go have a cup or tea (I am english sothats why I say tea haaha, water whatever!)
umm or read? or watch Tv....I tend to touch my face but trying to keep my hands away from my face now!!!!!

I also do not go to bed and then wash my face else I KNOW I will stand there so I changed when I do it...and then later when its bedtime I clean my teeth and get right into bed!!! I thought about taking the mirrors down but you know not practical! haahaa

I have gotta learn to just to control myself (we both do! right!!!!!)
the main thing is your not alone ok!!!

well have a goodnight (I cant wait to use my proactiv again!) I am treating it like its a medicine 'Healing mt face" I hope this works but I am going to stick at it a few months to know whats going on then I might HAVE to go to a Dermatologist!

ttyl I hope

Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
(male)

henrymalch4u HB User

Uklady

Stopping picking habbit is a measure that's really hard to imbibe especially when they pop out (which is an ugly sight). But then, it will be of a better attribute (as regards fighting acne) to stop picking.

I'm a 19-year old boy and I've had acne for 1 year now, which to me is like a decade. My face is a mess; total mess, which is affecting a major part of me (self esteem). if stopping picking will really help me a lot as I've read many a times, I will give it a shot.

Once again, thanks for the advice, I promise to implement it as I'm stopping right away...

Last edited by henrymalch4u; 10-31-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Grammer

Old 10-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

ukladybird HB User

Hi there!
yes Picking is easier to do than NOT but its something WE control nobody makes us do it, thats what has made me feel so sad is my face is a mess due to my own doing...not all of it...but the messing and causing my skin to rip off to like a graze weaping...thats my doing...acne doesnt like being played with I am sure of that

I know its hard I really do, and yes I am 34 and yes fond going out sometimes not fun if I have a huge mess on my face (ususally big scabs drying out) I can apply Make-up at least...but its better not too!....

just really try to not pick it just wash your face then leave the Mirror

what products do you use????

Happy Halloween!
Claire

Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
(male)

henrymalch4u HB User

Hello Claire,

Thanks for the last tym, got your advice and I'm trying hard to stop picking.

I've been on Tetracycline and Clearex 10 for three weeks now and its doing nothing more except bringing out more outbreaks. I complained to my Dr. last week who told me to continue with the medication for like more three weeks as that is a good sign (more outbreaks during the medication). But then, I just hope it works as I'm not missing the course for one day.

Thanks once again, with collective ideas, we can achieve this aim of getting rid of acne!

Henry Okonkwo
Nigeria

Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
(female)

ukladybird HB User

Hi Henry
It is a hard battle with Acne, I am 34 and get fed up and think will this ever end? but I am doing really well since I decided to STOP PICKING and if you could see what difference its made to my face it would make you think WOW it does help alot...I think picking makes your face 'ANGRY" for sure and ok so you might get to something pop but then I think we spread that around causing bacteria and dirt to get into put pores and its a vicious cycle...

I had a few moments where I did get some black heads but they came out and I ddint leave any marks ...but still a bit naughty!!!

I also had a set back with my Proactiv as I scrubbed too hard and my skin had a bad reaction and I felt like my face was on fire and had to run out to the store I found something called CaraVe and its a gentle Cleanser and it helps soften and sooth Skin without it getting oily I love it , I watched something interesting on OPRAH and it was about beauty secrets and about products there was a lady who had Acne and she was washing her face with like anti bacterial hand SOAP then putting some acne cream then slathering a greasy moisterizer as the crap she was using was drying out her skin (which again if your skin is too DRY it can make you break out its a myth only acne likes oily skin types ,mine is normal dry...some areas are Dryer and I break out , its definately about balancing the skin so its comfortable...and thats a hards task but I think I have figured mine out now, using the gentle cleanser once a day and mositerizer and then the Acne wash and treatment once a day...might go to every other day ...mine is Benzoyl Peroxide and it can be pretty harsh but its about using little amounts not like blasting your face with too much harshness...........

but then some people might benefit using stronger products to help control the oil but often we strip our skin down and what happens the skin makes more....

its a hard one to crack I wish there was a cure (it would make somebody RICH ) a magic pill and no acne wouldnt it be great but sadly I think it needs combination of products! and lots of patcience...thats ahrd too as we want it to work NOW....but sticking to something for a few months too switching products as I did is another bad thing I think for Acne....

I wish you luck and hope you see an improvement soon, but really I am not joking no picking is gotta be the top thing on that list

Keep me posted

Claire

Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
(female)

lleess HB User

I'm so glad you started this thread. I have had a terrible picking problem for years and have written about it a lot on these boards. My acne isn't that bad, or at least it wouldnt be, but every morning and every night I scrutinize every last bump or red area on my face...and then I start picking with this "pore cleaner" metal loop thing...every once in a while, I feel like I pop something and it really does help it heal faster. But 99% of the time, if I had the self-control to just do nothing, I would save myself so much time and sadness. I literally create my own acne, my own scars, my own infections...all because I can't stop myself from picking. I need to learn that a small red pimple is much much better than a huge inflamed red area that will take weeks to go away and will leave a permanent scar. It's just so hard to remember that.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
(female)

ukladybird HB User

Hi there lleess
you sound so like me!!!! but I think I am finally seeingg how nice my skin can be its really making a difference not playing with it , I have to admit the odd time I have gotten a black head and its come straight out...but I do not stand there examining my face anymore at night , I wash it and forget it...I definately find washing my face earlier helps too cause then I watch tv and then go clean my teeth and go straight to bed I do not stand there 30 mins picking any tiny bump ! I really have seen a dramamtic result...I am using Proactiv but not often (perhaps once a day or every other day as its strong) and I use CeraVe cleanser its plain and boring (which was another mistake I made was wanting to use the products in pretty bottles so stupid) this is plain as you can get and its like Cetaphyl and for me as I am 34 I have dry skin so dont need anything too drying and it leaves a think film it feels like its calming your skin its wonderful but again it might not work for others but I think its a great gentle cleanser..

well try not to pick ok...I know its really hard but if I can do it , you can! I really thought I had some disrider like obssesive compulsive but picking my face...but its really a bad habit that you get into and harder to break but you can do it jsut really think I am not doing this anymore to myself! you control it nobody makes you pick right ? your can do it take it a day at a time after a week you find it gets easier REALLY its just the first few days! but you can do it!!!!! you really can!!!!!!

start today

Claire

Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
(female)

ukladybird HB User

I am doing so good at not picking I think I have cracked it !!!!

Yeah!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
(male)

kazuss HB User

Yeah, im haveing the same problems as everyone else in this forum, i think the cure is just not picking at it, im sick of haveing to go places and introduce myself in front of people, my self confidence is GONE, especially as being a musician, self confidence is important, and now its gone, =((!
But it can be restored, if any of you guys know anything that could help, i will give it a try, thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
(male)

henrymalch4u HB User

Thanks a lot Claire,

I"m really trying my best, as u know it's not easy and it will never be easy. I am still on my medication and no improvement yet, but like you and every other person will say, I will stick to a particular course for sometime.

I will keep trying.

Regards

Henry

Last edited by henrymalch4u; 11-24-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Name Duplication

Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
(male)

henrymalch4u HB User

Like the title goes, "the worst ENEMY of an acne surferer is the MIRROR"

I want my face to clear;
You want your face to clear;
He wants his face to clear;
She wants her face to clear:
Collectively we want our face to clear;

Mind you, this cannot be achieved when you still have your worst enemy lurking in the shadow.

You have to stop looking at him (Mirror) so as to conquer many things. you will understand that when you stop telling yourself of how bad you look the better your presentation to the public and your well being as a whole will be.

I've heard many peeps talking about their self esteem being affected, mine wasn't an exception. But it (self esteem) is affected only when you tell yourself of how bad you look. I know some of you out there understand what am saying especially when you have a severe acne like the case of mine, which presently am still battling to unravel its mystery.

And so, in a bid to stop picking which will in a long way help improve the state of your face, you have to stop looking at the mirror more often.

It's definitly hard to try but, like my you (Claire) will say, "no picking is gotta be the top thing on that list of getting rid of acne"

So my dear friends, "Stop Looking at the Mirror so as to stop picking"

Henry

Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #14
(female)

ukladybird HB User

Henry!
awwwww that was sweet yes...your a right stop picking I have slided a little again and been in the mirror but I dont have a huge mess this time (thankfully) I have a wedding coming up this weekend and so really wanted to look people in the eye!

it is very hard sometimes, I have had Acne bad when I was pregnant gosh it was so awful it was all over my chest and down my back! I was embarassed when I had my son and they gave me and epidural , wondered what they would think...but of course they dont care they are doing there job not judging my acne, but you have these thoughts in your head that everyone is thinking how awful it is!

I had a break out on my face too after he was born it was infected Ance gosh it was like somebody through acid on the side of my face I was so humiliated, I had this lovelly baby and wanted to show him off to the world but I didnt want to go out in public I eventually got in under control I still have scars from it and it still flares up sometimes its weird, but then it goes.....that was 8 years ago but the memories I dont forget..

I do understand what it feels like Henry, right now if you saw my face you say its nothing and I realize how lucky I am to not have it very bad right now, but I have been there....it is a battle for sure.....but people who are true and nice will see beyond your Acne and not care it will get better, just hang in there and yep just try to not touch your face ok! think possative and keep doing what you are give it some time ....

you have support, your not alone...

Take care ok!

Claire

Old 11-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #15
(male)

henrymalch4u HB User

Good ain't looking dat bad as before u know, it's really a good news, but do you know the worst, is that I envy you. How I pray mine should just clear up and leave my face a bit clear like yours.

Well, I visited my Dr. yesterday and I was given a different routine with Doxycycline and Benzoyl Peroxide + Dalacin T. Solution. I'm still to lay my hands on the Dalacin T. Solution and see how the whole thing works.

I'm pretty much sure Time is a gentleman and as such, am trying my best to stop picking.

Regards.

Henry

Closed Thread