It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 06:20 AM   #1

KJdancer HB User
Post does anyone "pop" a cyst?

sometimes i kind of pick at a cyst & the junk will come out. i went to town on one on my cheek but it is not working. it's pretty gross. maybe the ones i can extract something from aren't really cysts? i am not sure i know exactly how to distinguish them.

anyway, if i do have a cyst, is it possible to get rid of it by picking at it or do you just have to wait for it to go down?

i hate this b.s.!!!!! i am getting together with old friends this week, friends i have not seen in years, and my face looks like hell.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:42 AM   #2

lucky2289 HB User
I have found after years of trial and error, that picking or messing with a cyst before it is a ripe, juicy, ready to pop, whitehead...is a MISTAKE. Trust me...please wait until it is a whitehead. Then I gently ***** just the whithead with a sterile needle, and GENTLY squeeze with clean dry fingertips. IF the stuff comes out, I let it all drain and then apply some Neosporin. IF is doesn't come out, I just clean it and leave it alone. Once you have opened a cyst in any way, be very careful what you put on it. Any creams, mask, or topicals will just get inside and clog it even more, this is why it is absolutely necessary to leave it alone until you KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is ready. I know this is so hard to do, but like I said, after years of battling cysts, and kicking myself in the *** many times, I know I have to wait

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 08:14 AM   #3

~Cansu~ HB User
If they can be popped, they are not cysts. More like nodules. Cysts never form a head and it takes months for them to go away.

I agree with the previous poster about the popping method but I use cotton pads to squeeze a cyst/pimple/whatever and apply zinc oxide instead of neosporin.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:27 AM   #4

mizzhelpful HB User
Where can I buy zinc oxidide?

Old 09-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #5

ol'lady HB User
Question

Are you sure about the cyst/nodule definition? I always thought cysts would come to a head, they just took longer because the infection is soooo deeeep! Do nodules scar like the cysts do?

Old 09-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #6

~Cansu~ HB User
Just to be sure, I went on a dermatology web site and i'm quite surprised. Even clogged pores are considered as cysts.

From the web site:
"Small cysts (eg. less than 5 mm) don't usually need treatment, but can be readily removed by a minor surgical procedure. Larger ones are usually removed because they are unsightly or because they have been inflamed.

Cysts are treated by making a small surgical opening into the skin and removing the sac (excision biopsy). This is done under local anaesthetic and may require stitches, removed a few days later.

Very occasionally the cyst recurs and needs further treatment."

I guess this means they don't come to a head? No explanation though. I remember I would get hard bumps under the skin and they wouldn't come to a head.

mizzhelpful,

I don't live in the US so I don't know if zinc oxide is available there. Maybe you can ask your pharmacist about it. It works quite well on my red marks as well.

Old 09-13-2003, 02:59 PM   #7

wicketglen7 HB User
I don't understand why they are removed? Mine always are gone within a week. I always thought they were cysts because although not that big they are lumps under my skin that get red from being swollen and inflammed. They always heal just fine though and rather quickly from what everyone else says about them.

Old 09-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #8

~Cansu~ HB User
"Non-inflammatory lesions:

Open comedones (blackheads)
Closed comedones (whiteheads)
Uninflamed nodules (sometimes called cysts)

Inflammatory lesions:

Papules (small red bumps)
Pustules (white or yellow "squeezable" spots)
Inflamed nodules (large red lumps)"

I guess this explains "nodules and cysts".

Old 09-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #9

King Humbert HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by mizzhelpful:
Where can I buy zinc oxidide?
As someone who has used zinc oxide for a long time, I only suggest it for a zit you already popped and want to heal.

It's not good for putting on zits or cysts that aren't "ripe" yet, so to speak. After you pop it and you're sure it's all clear then put the zinc oxide on. If you time it right, you can get rid of the red mark within a week or less.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:52 PM   #10

lionna HB User
just this week two cysts i have had for a month came to a head, and i squeezed them and i swear just thinking about what came out makes me queezy.. i cried.. if stuff that looked like that came out of any other part of my body, i would think i was dying.. if you do ever pop a cyst, be prepared to feel sick.. there was so much blood too.. plus, they are not gone, just a bit smaller.. one of these was a small pimple a while ago that 'went away' mostly, then all of a sudden got huge.. the size of my fingertip.. so sad.. it makes me want to cry..

Old 09-14-2003, 07:11 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
Speaking of popping cysts, when I had hundreds of them I would squueze them and the pus and blood would squirt out and hit my mirror. gross. After I got the junk out of those kind, the nodule or cyst whatever it was, would go away immediately....so glad i don't have to deal with that anymore.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #12

strange_machine HB User
I squeeeeez the crap out of them, only real revenge i get against cysts.. .. I like it when they ooze out alot of blood and white goey stuff...........

Old 09-16-2003, 11:35 AM   #13
(female)

BlueSprite555 HB User
If it's a true cyst you shouldn't try and "pop" it as nothing will come out...they never come to a head. I think BP And sulphur are best on cysts in my experience. Just load the stuff on. If you try and pop it you could be left with a nasty, permenant, scar...which in the long-run is worse.

Ice it too...it reduces the swelling and allows the medication to permeate the skin better.

Old 09-18-2003, 12:28 PM   #14

jen56 HB User
Actually a true cyst can pop but not like a normal pimple. The cyst gets so infected that it basically combusts, but then begins to refill immediately after. A cyst is an enclosed sac of a damaged pore, that is why most people just see them coming back in the same place time after time.

If you dont mess with them they are more likely to spontaneously resolve themselves, and the doctors dont know why this is. But speculation suggests, that the infection grows until it causes the cyst wall to collapse upon itself and no longer continue to refill with sebum etc.

However, I do mostly agree with the last post. Most of the time technically a true cyst never comes to a head. It is most likely a inflamed nodule.

Old 09-18-2003, 12:56 PM   #15
(female)

summer33ny HB User
ooo god. This post is making me queezy! I have a problem with always trying to pop pimples that aren't ready or are barely there. Then they turn into monsters. I have a black head on my check that I tried unsuccessfully to remove and now it's a huge red thing. But after 14 yrs. with acne, I don't think I'll ever learn to leave my face alone. Thanks to accutane, I haven't had any huge ***** pimple in a long time though! God.. my pimples actually used to make noise when I popped them!

Closed Thread