It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

Sue21 HB User
Question Saw Palmetto for Women?

I want to try taking Saw Palmetto to decrease my oil production. I've read on the internet that Saw Palmetto prevents testosterone from converting one chemical to another, thus making it an effective treatment for women suffering from oiliness, excess body hair, etc.

However, when I went to the drugstore today to get some, the label clearly states that women should never take this. On the internet, I've read of several woman who do take it, and some have had success with it.

Are there any women who have taken Saw Palmetto? I am completely healthy and do not take any medications.

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
(female)

KaraKaraKara HB User
Re: Saw Palmetto for Women?

Not sure if this helps... but I've been taking it for awhile, I take two 450mg capsules a day, and I have had no negative side effects. The funny thing is that I have had SOME improvement in my face, but the acne on my shoulders and back has nearly VANISHED over night! I can hardly believe it! I have been researching dht blockers and I'm going to try taking a supplement for hair loss (I don't have hair loss, but blocking dht = less oil = less acne). If this works, I plan on confronting my derm about spiro... I have tried EVERYTHING for my hormonal acne (DIM, vit B5, EVERYTHING) and I'm guessing my problem is DHT since the saw palmetto is working!!! I would go ahead and try it, at your own risk. If you experience any side effects, I would stop. The hair loss supplement I am taking has saw palmetto it in (I believe around 300 mg/capsule) and it says that it is suitable for women. Good luck!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
(female)

daphne009 HB User

How long have you been taking the saw palmetto before you started seeing results? especially on your face???

Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
(female)

KaraKaraKara HB User

hello-- I actually stopped taking the saw palmetto and took a different approach. Right now I am taking hair loss pills (even though I am not losing hair, it is a dht blocker and dht causes my acne apparently) and so far the results are great! My oil has decreased drastically. I have the occasional zit but its a big difference from what it was. The hair loss pill has some saw palmetto but it also has other ingredients that are said to block dht... its called shen min. ---Kara

Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Is the Shen Miu DHT blocker available in stores (not online)???

Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
(female)

stardust11 HB User

Hi Kara, can you please tell me your experience with the Shen Min DHT Blocker? Have you noticed any improvement of acne or oily skin? Thanks so much!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
(female)

empress33 HB User

hey guys,I am new here,also as all of you an adult acne suffer,I was wondering if anyone knows about taking saw palmento oraly for a long period of time,will cause a problem getting pregnant?,i heard that it can interfere with male fetus,since its a dht/testosteron blocker...i have been taking saw palmento on and off,last year for the first time i took around sept/october time and it worked amazing,but after a while when i stoped taking it acne came back.Now I am onit again,so far my face only getting worse,i do squize some annoying ones of course...
I also heard that applying topicaly saw palmento helps...i will try ot tonight..

Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

Sue21 HB User

I saw zero effect from the Saw Palmetto.

I started Yaz birth control earlier this year, and saw a dramatic improvement in my acne and a huge decrease in my oil production. Perhaps you could look into this.

(The improvment from Yaz is due to the fact that it's progesterone-- drsp-- is chemically similar to spironolactane, a known anti-androgen.)

Closed Thread