It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

Alexablair HB User
Differin Vs. Retin-A Micro

I went to a dermatologist for the first time today because I've been under a LOT of stress and my skin has begun to break out. I've always had good skin, but my forhead tended to have white heads, and rarely, maybe 3-4 times a year, I would get a pimple. My skin isnt super oily but I'm very easily aggitated about oily skin so I wash my face with Lancome face wash for oily skin which GREATLY reduces oil and it only dries out around my nose. So i would say my skin isnt dry and isnt very oily but maybe somewhat, if anything, past the normal oil conditions of skin. Currently, Ive been having my prexisting whiteheads becoming inflamed and turning read. And they are hard to get rid of and Ive been getting more white heads in places I never had them before like my cheeks and my chin. So my derm prescribed Retin-A Micro .1% and Differin .3% and said I could chose whichever one I wanted. My question is, which one have you guys (any who've expereinced either and preferably BOTH) liked better. And from what you've heard about my skin, which I would certainly define as mild (i still dont have pimples only enflamed white heads/normal white heads), is the prescription i was prescribed too strong, because I know Retin-A .1% is one of the strongest ones-and I dont know why I would get that, I'm supposed to use it every other night.

Last edited by Alexablair; 12-29-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
(female)

AppleADay1 HB User
Re: Differin Vs. Retin-A Micro

Differin was the only product that has ever worked for me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
(male)

kbeeveer46 HB User

I've tried both and they both seemed to work about the same for me. The only difference is that Retin-A Micro really, really dried out my face if I used it too much. My skin would literally be flaking off in the areas where I used the product.

I was only using samples of each at the time. I was first given Differin and then Retin-A Micro because I wanted something stronger. I stopped using both because of the dryness it causes me. Sometimes skin flaking off your face is just as unappealing as acne.

I continue to take one minocycline every day.

Last edited by kbeeveer46; 05-30-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeeveer46 View Post
I've tried both and they both seemed to work about the same for me. The only difference is that Retin-A Micro really, really dried out my face if I used it too much. My skin would literally be flaking off in the areas where I used the product.

I was only using samples of each at the time. I was first given Differin and then Retin-A Micro because I wanted something stronger. I stopped using both because of the dryness it causes me. Sometimes skin flaking off your face is just as unappealing as acne.

I continue to take one minocycline every day.
Minocycline is really bad for you. Google side effects of long term use. I got off that immediately after learning, and don't need it anymore because I'm on Ortho-tri-cyclen.

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexablair View Post
I went to a dermatologist for the first time today because I've been under a LOT of stress and my skin has begun to break out. I've always had good skin, but my forhead tended to have white heads, and rarely, maybe 3-4 times a year, I would get a pimple. My skin isnt super oily but I'm very easily aggitated about oily skin so I wash my face with Lancome face wash for oily skin which GREATLY reduces oil and it only dries out around my nose. So i would say my skin isnt dry and isnt very oily but maybe somewhat, if anything, past the normal oil conditions of skin. Currently, Ive been having my prexisting whiteheads becoming inflamed and turning read. And they are hard to get rid of and Ive been getting more white heads in places I never had them before like my cheeks and my chin. So my derm prescribed Retin-A Micro .1% and Differin .3% and said I could chose whichever one I wanted. My question is, which one have you guys (any who've expereinced either and preferably BOTH) liked better. And from what you've heard about my skin, which I would certainly define as mild (i still dont have pimples only enflamed white heads/normal white heads), is the prescription i was prescribed too strong, because I know Retin-A .1% is one of the strongest ones-and I dont know why I would get that, I'm supposed to use it every other night.
Go with differin. Easier on the skin. Retin-A Micro peels layers of your skin off and can really irritate it.

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
(male)

LetsGoDreaming HB User

I've only used differin and have gotten good results from it. I don't know about the results you would get from retin though. Also something that I've noticed with everyone that I know with acne on their forehead is how long their hair is right there. I've noticed a direct correlation between that and their acne. I'm not saying thats the cause of your acne, I'm just suggesting that it is a possibility. Hope that helps, good luck.

Closed Thread