It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

Iwantniceskin HB User
I feel like nobody understands me

I've always had bad skin since been a teenager but never like I have now. I'm a teacher and in my first year of teaching. I always feel a bit nervous before going back normally but I really don't think I can stand in front of a classroom with skin as bad as this. Since new year I had been hiding out in my room ashamed even to go to the kitchen in case I have to look someone in the face and they see how bad I look. How can I stand in front of a classroom tomorrow with all the kids' eyes on me. My friends have been really supportive, my best mate invited me over to hers for a pampering session and made me put on all these face masks and moisturiser and I know
she was trying to help me but I feel like it has made it worse. Can you be signed off sick with acne? I really don't think I can face anyone but I feel like I'm letting the children down. Is there anyone out there who has been through a similar time and can share their story with me?

The following user gives a hug of support to Iwantniceskin:
missfaye22 (04-19-2011)
Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
(female)

Arelias HB User
Re: I feel like nobody understands me

OMG, yes. I've had acne since I was 16 (now 20) and over the years it has gotten progressively worse. I've never had crazy severe acne but enough acne for me to feel like i want to crawl in a hole and wait til it subsides. I've tried everything as well and I'm counting on a healthy diet and YAZ bcp to clear my face once and for all. I do the same as you've done, I stay in my room all day and if I dare leave anywhere, even to the bathroom, I pack on make-up so people don't look at me and get disgusted. My moods suck and I've lost a lot of potential bf's due to my insecurities. I feel like I'm not good enough for anyone because my face is so gross. I don't go out very often (only to go to school and work) and I don't have very many friends. I almost feel narsisstic because I'm so OCD over having nice skin. I just wish I wasn't plagued with this awful social life/self esteem destroyer. Sometimes I sit in my room and cry, begging for clear skin. Its so frustrating because life is so short and I'm wasting away drowning in my misery. Kids are tough crowds but as long as you show them your potential of being a fun teacher that they will enjoy, ur acne will be overlooked. Good luck and I hope my misery will subside.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
(female)

Iwantniceskin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelias View Post
OMG, yes. I've had acne since I was 16 (now 20) and over the years it has gotten progressively worse. I've never had crazy severe acne but enough acne for me to feel like i want to crawl in a hole and wait til it subsides. I've tried everything as well and I'm counting on a healthy diet and YAZ bcp to clear my face once and for all. I do the same as you've done, I stay in my room all day and if I dare leave anywhere, even to the bathroom, I pack on make-up so people don't look at me and get disgusted. My moods suck and I've lost a lot of potential bf's due to my insecurities. I feel like I'm not good enough for anyone because my face is so gross. I don't go out very often (only to go to school and work) and I don't have very many friends. I almost feel narsisstic because I'm so OCD over having nice skin. I just wish I wasn't plagued with this awful social life/self esteem destroyer. Sometimes I sit in my room and cry, begging for clear skin. Its so frustrating because life is so short and I'm wasting away drowning in my misery. Kids are tough crowds but as long as you show them your potential of being a fun teacher that they will enjoy, ur acne will be overlooked. Good luck and I hope my misery will subside.
Hey Arelias, sorry to hear you have the same problem as me. I feel for you. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. It's horrible because you can't help how low and lacking in self esteem as you do but it obviously worries loved ones and friends and you end up feeling like you are a burden to the people who care about you. I had all last week off work. I've been on antibiotics. They are working a bit but not fast enough. Green stuff has been coming out of my cheeks. It makes me feel sick when I squeeze it- I know you shouldn't squeeze but the swelling makes me look like I'm deformed. I've been back in work this week and only one of the kids has said something so far, it hurt but I brushed it off. Have you been referred to a dermatologist? My sister used to have worse skin than me but hers cleared up after going to a dermotologist. I asked the doctor to refer me but I'm moving to another part of London at the end of the month and the doctor said I would need to register with another doctor and get referred from there as it is a different borough. Keep your chin up- please don't let acne ruin your life. There have been times when I have felt suicidal because of how I look (like last night for example) but I had a reality check when I thought about how much it would hurt my family and the kids at school who rely on me for their education. Write down your fears and worries in a journal- sometimes I find that helps when I'm feeling down. I really hope things work out for you and thank you for replying to my post x

Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
(female)

Arelias HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantniceskin View Post
Hey Arelias, sorry to hear you have the same problem as me. I feel for you. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. It's horrible because you can't help how low and lacking in self esteem as you do but it obviously worries loved ones and friends and you end up feeling like you are a burden to the people who care about you. I had all last week off work. I've been on antibiotics. They are working a bit but not fast enough. Green stuff has been coming out of my cheeks. It makes me feel sick when I squeeze it- I know you shouldn't squeeze but the swelling makes me look like I'm deformed. I've been back in work this week and only one of the kids has said something so far, it hurt but I brushed it off. Have you been referred to a dermatologist? My sister used to have worse skin than me but hers cleared up after going to a dermotologist. I asked the doctor to refer me but I'm moving to another part of London at the end of the month and the doctor said I would need to register with another doctor and get referred from there as it is a different borough. Keep your chin up- please don't let acne ruin your life. There have been times when I have felt suicidal because of how I look (like last night for example) but I had a reality check when I thought about how much it would hurt my family and the kids at school who rely on me for their education. Write down your fears and worries in a journal- sometimes I find that helps when I'm feeling down. I really hope things work out for you and thank you for replying to my post x

I totally agree with you. I feel really badly for anyone who has bad acne. I feel like i've been pushing my family away because I can't bear them seeing how ugly my face is and have them make comments that are going to make me even more sad. Yes, i've been to a dermatologist and an acne clinic. I've taken doxycycline and retin a for about a year and it did clear me 100% (face and body), only for that year. My face started getting worse and it seemed as if my body was building immunity against the medication. Then, I tried the acne clinic and in the beginning it was working well and then my face began to get worse and that's when I realized that my acne was hormonal. I'm trying my best to not let my acne get to me and focus on what I need to accomplish. Yes, I've felt suicidal at times myself and even told my close friends that if my acne gotten really bad I'd end my misery. I'm just waiting for my hormones to balance (through YAZ) so I can actually come out of hiding and show my true potential that I am a fun and adventurous person.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
(male)

Martin Bishop HB User
Talking Re: I feel like nobody understands me

I had cystic acne until this year, so I feel for you ladies. I got some major hope this year when the first peer-reviewed acne and diet medical study, by Dr. Neil Mann of Australia's RMIT University and Royal Melbourne Hospital was complete. So I did an Internet search and found a .pdf of the booklet put out by Australia's Women's Weekly magazine and the Australian College of Dermatologists, called "The Teenage Anti-Acne Diet."

I have to say, a smile broke across my face and my shoulders seemed to lift as I read the studies results. The study proves for the first time that foods with a high GI (glycemic) index are the cause of every form of acne. They reduced acne from 50-100% in 12 weeks, and kept it that way, with no creams or pills. All my dark clothes still have a bleach ring on the neck from the acne creams! I was so tired of that. My acne and scars have been disappearing! Yay! There is finally REAL hope. SO very happy! Yay Australia!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
(male)

Martin Bishop HB User

I hope you feel really happy after reading it! The study said that meat can be switched out for vegetarian proteins, which is probably much healthier in the long run, considering that I just read "The China Study" this year and want to heed it's advice. I'm throwing out all my acne creams and useless potions! Hooray!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-17-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
(female)

Arelias HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bishop View Post
Yeah, definitely! I found it using the biggest Internet search engine. I hope you feel really happy after reading it! The study said that meat can be switched out for vegetarian proteins, which is probably much healthier in the long run, considering that I just read "The China Study" this year and want to heed it's advice. I'm throwing out all my acne creams and useless potions! Hooray!
That's good. I already eat healthy as is (pretty much exactly how the magazine describes) and my face is still blah. I am on Birth control so I think my hormones just need to balance out and once they do plus my healthy diet I should good, hopefully real soon. Thanks for informing me about the magazine!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
(female)

Iwantniceskin HB User

My skin is getting better after taking the antibiotics but it is taking forever to clear up completely. Today I'm going to register with a doctor in my new area and ask to be referred to a dermatologist. I really hope that I can get this sorted and stop all this misery. I thank everyone who has replied to my post. It helps to know that others out there have the same problems as me and makes me fell a little less like a freak. Good luck everyone and please keep me updated with how you are doing and what treatment is working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelias View Post
That's good. I already eat healthy as is (pretty much exactly how the magazine describes) and my face is still blah. I am on Birth control so I think my hormones just need to balance out and once they do plus my healthy diet I should good, hopefully real soon. Thanks for informing me about the magazine!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
(female)

Arelias HB User

hey iwantniceskin,
Good news for me, my skin is clearing and I break out with about 1-2 pimples instead of 5-6. I think my hormones are finally balancing out. The only thing is, is that I have a lot of scarring . It's slowly fading away, but I was thinking about doing a microdermabrasion to give a boost in the healing process. So hopefully once I start my third pack of Yaz I'll have beautiful, flawless skin! It's good to hear that you are doing well, antibiotics does take a while but make sure you stay on them or find an alternative if you no longer can take them because when I went off my antibiotics, my skin got way worse. Hope to hear from you soon and I appreciate you keeping in contact. Hope your teaching is doing well.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
(male)

jwjohn HB User

hi
As to the acne and the suffering i totally understand how you feel.Anyway about 2 years i found this cream it is available at any chemist for around the £8.This cream has nothing at all to do with acne but it is excelletspelling mistakes.So i am reluctant to give you the name via posting board in case i break any rules.Standard size tube pure white cream no smell at all and after 2 years no side effects.Only use very lightly and will last more than a month.Yes i have not used any prescribed cream or tablets since only this.And it also makes your skin feel nice and soft.As a sufferer for years i am very genuine here so do not worry about it.If you reply here and let me know if you would like the name via diff.method.I am happy to help best regards john.

Last edited by jwjohn; 06-05-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
(female)

Iwantniceskin HB User

I've been on roaccutane for 4 weeks now- my lips are soooo dry! But my spots have reducede quite a bit. Do have the scars still though. Arelias I had microdermobrasion about 2 years ago and I didn 't find it helpful at all- just a waste of money. When I've finished my tablets I think I'm going to save up and get laser treatment for the scars. John- I would love to know the name of this cream you're talking about- it sounds amazing- what is it called? Thanks for nall the good will messages guys, have a good weekend x

Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
(male)

jwjohn HB User

hi
As to my posting thanks for getting back to me about the cream but i am reluctant to post name on the board.As it has nothing at all to do with acne.Not sure if i can leave my e.mail address here or not.Best if you can come up with a contact best regards john.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
(female)

Marieh83 HB User

in reply to the original msg i know exactly how you feel. i nearly pulled a sicky at work today because my skin is so bad. i cant look at myself in the mirror unless i've either piled the make up on or even better lathered anti septic cream all over so i cant see them at all anymore!

Closed Thread