HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   tea tree oil, aloe vera gel, etc (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/668124-tea-tree-oil-aloe-vera-gel-etc.html)

SMT12483 02-03-2009 01:22 PM

tea tree oil, aloe vera gel, etc

I wanted to start using some "natural" products such as tea tree oil, aloe vera jel and jojoba oil but am slightly confused on what each does and how they should be used.

Tea tree is used as "spot treatment" correct? At what point would I use the aloe vera and the jojoba?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

savemeplease 02-03-2009 07:38 PM

Re: tea tree oil, aloe vera gel, etc

i have all three but i mostly just use tea tree oil. it works amazingly. it makes existing pimples go down or scabs peel off. its defiantly just for spot treatment, i like applying it with a q-tip. tea tree oils my favorite.

when i was using retin-a, my skin got really dry and thats when jojoba oil came in for me. its a miracle worker for dry skin. right after i put it on my skin wasnt dry anymore, i was amazed.

as for aloe vera gel. i rarely use that. but i was getting acid face peels done at the derm and aloe was good for after that. i think it helps damaged skin, like sun burn, dryness, etc. i dont really use it tho, just rarely, so i dont really know for certain.

SMT12483 02-04-2009 05:28 AM

Thanks for the reply!

maria0485 02-04-2009 08:12 AM

I just discovered Jojoba Oil! I'm in love with this. After I get out of the shower and my skin is still damp I put on arms and legs. I even discovered that I can use on my acne-prone skin!

BluEyez1031 02-05-2009 03:48 PM

I picked up some 100% tea tree oil today...for those who use it as a spot treatment, do you dilute it with anything, or just apply it straight to the pimple?

savemeplease 02-05-2009 05:42 PM

i dont dilute it, mainly because i dont know how exactly to do that. but id try it straight up first, just for spot treatment, and if you get too dry or irritated, dilute it. you could go either way though, just try both and see which one works best for you.

BluEyez1031 02-05-2009 08:38 PM

I decided to just apply it regular strength with a q-tip, like you mentioned you do. We'll see how things continue, but so far, I swear it's already brought the swelling down a little!

SMT12483 02-19-2009 10:05 AM

I bought Desert Essence's tea tree oil that is "gentler for the skin" (according to the bottle). It says it only has 20% tea tree oil in it, is that going to be strong enough? Don't think it is really doing anything for me...

BluEyez1031 02-19-2009 11:11 PM

I've used products that only contained a little tea tree oil in them in the past, and it didn't do anything. So far, using 100% tea tree oil has help dry up spots. Not a miracle worker, but it really helps speed up the healing process, for sure.

SMT12483 02-20-2009 06:42 AM

[QUOTE=BluEyez1031;3891858]I've used products that only contained a little tea tree oil in them in the past, and it didn't do anything. So far, using 100% tea tree oil has help dry up spots. Not a miracle worker, but it really helps speed up the healing process, for sure.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was harmful to your skin to put 100% on? Or is that just a myth?

BluEyez1031 02-20-2009 09:46 AM

It's too strong for some people and can burn your skin if it is. I believe that's why the bottle is required to say not to use it at 100% strength. It IS really drying, so sometimes I'll dilute it with water...I'd also never use it full strength anywhere other than directly on the pimple.

sueyoung 02-21-2009 11:29 AM

I know some friends using aloe vera gelly for their problems like this.