It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

LowTane HB User
Angry Low Dose Accutane

6 Feb 2009
Hi, I have just taken my first low dose of Accutane
Brand:Sotret
Weight:90Kg=200lbs
Sex:Male
Dosage:20mg once daily
Supplements:None

Day 1
Chronic oily skin, blotting on the hour. I have mild Rosacea and more severe Acne Vulgaris of the nose and chin. My dermatologist in the USA had no real off label experience with low and microdose accutane. I brought him multiple studies from Israel, Turkey, UK and more.... he was interested. I have a back-up of Eythromyacin, I am hoping not to use it. I have been on Doxycylcline for the last year (this is not allowed with Accutane) since being diagnosed with Rosacea. My derm will only allow for a one month antibiotic security blanket. Eythromyacin does not have contraindications with Accutane, when its gone I have to ride it out. I am Professor at a local college, needless to say it is difficult to have skin problems and have to lecture in front of crowds. I hope I am lucky and can avoid the dreaded intial outbreak so many Accutane users report.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Declarative statement: I am not recommending this drug. I am only reporting results in the most objective manner I can muster. I do believe this drug can be dangerous. I am taking this risk of my own accord. Please read other blogs that discuss the seriousness of possible long term side effects.

Last edited by LowTane; 02-19-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Gramatical Errors

Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
(male)

LowTane HB User
Thumbs up Re: LowDoseAccutaneJournal

7 Feb 2009
New behavior: No alcohol or caffeine

Day 2:
I took my first Accutane 20mg pill last night at 9:00 with a bowl of oatmeal some apples and a big glass of water. Slept fine, no reported side effects. I will continue to take my dosage at night before bed. My acne is very controlled right now, I have been on daily Doxycycline for months. So, I guess so far so good.

Day 2 continued: Rosaceans I did have a flushing episode today, it was short and faded within minutes. I don't know if I can blame the accutane or not. I no longer have the security blanket of Doxycycline since it is forbidden with Accutane. I have one month of Eythromyacin but I am holding on to it for emergency situations. My Derm says thats all I get. Needless to say I was bummed out to have the flush happen. The Rosacea forums suggest even smaller doses of Accutane for Rosacea. I have both acne and Rosacea so I am torn between low dose recommendations. I also had my upper lip go slightly dry. I used lip balm and wondered if I was imagining this (I mean I have only taken one pill for Gods sake) since it is one of the most common side effects listed for Accutane users.

I just took my second pill, I have chosen to take Accutane just before bed. If there are side effects I was hoping to sleep through some of them......more to come.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Declarative statement: I am not recommending this drug. I am only reporting results in the most objective manner I can muster. I do believe this drug can be dangerous. I am taking this risk of my own accord. Please read other blogs that discuss the seriousness of possible long term side effects.

Last edited by LowTane; 02-19-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
(male)

LowTane HB User
Re: Low Dose Accutane

8 Feb 2009
New behavior: Lip Balm

Day:3
Well its official I tried caffeine again and I flushed within 3 minutes of drinking it. It appears that I no longer have the protection of Doxycyline and normal Rosacea symptoms have returned. I don't think the Accutane has caused any flushes, just normal triggers. I am for sure not imagining the dry lips. Only two pills and my lips are mildly dry. Its definitely noticeable. However, I have no headaches, no night vision problems and no detectable gastrointestinal problems. So far, I can't even really tell I have taken this drug other than the lips issue. I will take my third pill before bed tonight.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-19-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
(male)

LowTane HB User
Unhappy Re: Low Dose Accutane

9 Feb 2009
New behavior: Zinc, Vitamin E, B and C supplements

Day 4:
Well its the morning of the 4th day. I have taken 3 20mg Sotret Acctuane pills. Slept like a baby, no sign of side effects other than the slightly dry lips. I am waiting for my acne to go crazy since I have stopped all antibiotics. I seem to be in a lull. Good! I don't want to post imaginary results but I gotta say I am waking up with less oil on my face already. Usually I am soaked. It would be hard to believe that this drug in only 3 pills could reduce my oil output already. However, if it can cause dry lips almost instantly then maybe a slight result could be possible already. I have no side effects other than the lips. No headaches, vision, nausea or pain anywhere so far. I have started to eat very healthy, low fat, grains and fruits are the route I am following. I am looking into supplements as well. I am thinking that a healthy diet and attitude might help with this therapy. I know that without antibiotics my acne should explode anytime now. We shall see.....

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-19-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
(male)

LowTane HB User
Question Re: Low Dose Accutane

10 Feb 2009
Weight:90Kg = 200lbs
New behavior: No soda pop of any kind

Day 5:
Well I took my 4th pill last night. I know it sounds crazy but I can see changes already. I have even more fear of this drug than I had in the first place. It has to be powerful to have these effects in the short term. I definitely am waking up with less oil on my face. My first day of work was met with 50 percent less blotting with tissues. I had several events where I felt I had flushed (rosaceans pay heed) under some job stress but checking in the bathroom showed just regular looking skin. My Acne has not burst forth in the abscence antibiotics yet. Pores seem slightly smaller already. The mild lip drying is still present. I have no reported side effects with the possible exception of the lip drying and maybe one other. My libido seems to have taken several steps backwards. It should be noted that all of the results I am reporting could be due to just coincendental factors. Inside though, I really think it is this drug. I have read other Accutane logs with similar results. I am trying to be very objective, I pay attention to small details. One other thing that is definitely happening is the anti-imflammatory effect. My skin color is more even and red veined areas are looking less apparent than they have in years. I realize this is only 80 milligrams of Accutane and the diet changes could be part of this...... I don't know. It seems impossible to already be feeling the effects of this drug, but my oil ouput and skin color has shown changes. I know, I have to look in the mirror every day. I will continue to log results, I expect the suspected effects to become more apparent as time goes on. Then I can report with more confidence what I am already suspecting. I remain mildly optimistic wondering about what I am experiencing. I am thinking of asking my Derm to reduce the dosage to 10mg.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-19-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

babynyc HB User

i just came back to healthboards for something else.... the last time i was on was back in 2000, 2001 for acne issues. this board was a great help but i must tell you- ACCUTANE IS A CURE! it was a miracle drug for me and now whenever i get compliments on my skin (more often than you would ever think) i just can't believe it.

stay strong....

Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
(male)

LowTane HB User

10 Feb 2009 Cont-
New behavior: No soda pop of any kind

I will be taking my 5th pill in a few minutes. I am still in shock that this drug shows effects in such a short time. Causes me to fear this drug even more. I will be asking my Derm to reduce the dosage for sure. He may balk, he was dragging his feet over the low dose idea. The sex drive thing put some real fear into me. I will be testing my libido regularly to detect any lapses. I hope my initial fears are in error, maybe self-fullfilling prophecy from all the negative posts on this drug. Well its show time.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Ps. Thanks for the vote of confidence BabyNyc

Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
(male)

LowTane HB User

11 Feb 2009
New behavior:None today

Day 6:
Well, I will be taking my 6th pill in a few minutes. I gotta tell ya, you probably won't believe me though. My pores which I double checked with my Wife are reduced by over 50 percent. I was blotting 10 times a day with tissues to soak up oil. I now blot 4 to 5 times a day during work. My acne was under control from a year on Doxycycline, so I didn't have much when I started Accutane. However, by now I should be breaking out gang busters with Acne Vulgaris all over my nose. Ususally my nose is throbbing from the swollen sebaceous glands. It is feeling of normal size again. It actually looks smaller. It is like a switch has been thrown and my oil glands are being told to stop. My pores are shrinking at a rapid rate. A 100mg dose (20mg once a day) of this drug has caused these reactions in only 5 days. I say it again, I am very scared of a drug that has this powerful effect in that period of time. To the rosaceans who may be vieiwing this log, I feel extreme hot flushes in the cheek but not my nose, however when I check to see how bad it is, it is insignificant. I look mildly flushed compared to how I used to look. My side effects are extremely mild to none. Slightly dry upper lip is all I have..... I have read many horror stories about this drug, I won't go into the details. So, my fear levels are high. I am happy and at the same time scared to death. I really want to take even lower doses. I have considered getting gelatin caps and a syringe and drawing out 5mg doses to put in the caps. I wished this came in pill form so I could break them into pieces. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. It almost feels as if my body needed this, it makes me wonder how it works. Its like something out of whack has been corrected. Some individuals lives are ruined by this drug. I find that it is the high dosers who report the worst problems. Low dose this drug might just be heaven sent. My job is already one hundred percent better. My wife is throwing a party this weekend and I am actually looking forward to it. Miracle or curse......we shall see.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
(male)

LowTane HB User

12 Feb 2009
New behavior:None today

Day 7:
I have had mild rosy cheeks and nose today every so often. Once for an hour or so. I do believe that the magic dose for my rosacea symptoms is probably lower. Most Rosacea forums report success with low doses. The trick is if you have both Acne Vulgaris and Rosacea to find a dose that is just right for both afflictions. Low dose studies show that 2.5 to 10 milligrams for varying sizes of people seems to work very well for Rosacea. Low dose studies for Acne seem to hover around 10 to 20 milligrams for varying sizes of people. I am going to ask for a reduction to 10 milligrams this month when I see my Derm. My skin is already looking better just because of the greasiness being minimized. Pores aren't so hideous. If this drug has this affect this soon, I wonder how fast things could go bad if I stopped taking it right now? The throbbing swollen feeling my nose has had for years is minimal now. Skin is dry and feeling smoother already. My wife has noticed the difference too. I kid you not, this is like a biological switch has been thrown. I have been waiting for the acne to explode, so far nothing. If I don't explode in another week with acne I will begin to believe that Accutane is suppressing the bacteria that causes acne somehow. Well for now I will stay on this dosage. It is so early in this trial that some readers must think I am nuts and imagining the results. I have considered that maybe I am just hitting one of those acne free windows and this is a coincedence. One thing I have noticed is the parts of my face that are not normally oily are very dry and smooth. My whole face feels tight. I am using Cetaphil on my cheeks. If my Derm won't go for a reduction in dosage I may move to skip dosing and take 20mg every other day. Well thats all for now, gotta go take pill number 7.

Ps. I mentioned a Libido scare a few posts ago, well it checks out fine. (Well, for a 48 year old anyways!)

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-12-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
(male)

LowTane HB User

14 Feb 2009
New behavior:Optimism

Day 8 & 9:
Well its the morning of day 9 and I have taken 8 Acctuane pills for a total cumlative dose of 160 milligrams. I still take it at night before bed with a small meal. Well, I am in love with this drug, fear and all. Now, my face is never gonna be scar free without some intervention of some kind. I have had acne to long on my nose. However, Accutane is like a chemical facial. My pores are shrinking and my oil is more like a normal human at this point. I am in shock that this drug could be so rapidly effective. Blotches are already lighter than before and getting better as we go on. I can no longer even tell I am taking this drug. I have no side effects at all, not even dry lips. I have mildly insignificant micro flaking of the skin. So, inspite of the fear I am one happy camper. To Rosaceans, yesterday was flush free, and also, Acne Vulgaris seems to be in hiding. I have had a few minor pimples that have come out of the skin and been washed away. Now it should be noted that I have stopped a lot of other behavior as well. This could be helping the results along. At this point I can't really list a single problem. Now I know this could all go bad overnite so I am not going to get to euphoric and tell someone to run out and get on this drug. But I will say this, I will never take high doses of this drug ever. I made the commitment when I started that if low dose didn't work then tough luck. I have read at least 3 to 4 hundred hours on this subject. To many questions out there still even after almost 30 years of data collected on this drug. But I am hopeful that my derm may consider micro-dose long term if it will help manage my Rosacea and Acne Vulgaris. Low dose is the answer in my opinion. One more thing, the stories about diminished sex drive may be true, but for me so far that is not the case. All seems perfectly normal. Well thats all for now folks, I think I will take my (almost) oil free face out into the world for a few errands. Stay strong all............

Ps. Keep in mind that a lot more people have taken this drug than the horror stories support. If the several million people that have taken it so far all had very poor results I think this drug would be off the market for good. The reported birth defects seem to be the biggest negative factor that gets reported. I also suspect that the really high doses are causing the majority of problems where other side effects are reported. Purely an opinion from my personal research. Take it with a grain of salt, cuz I really don't know enough.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
(male)

LowTane HB User

14 Feb 2009

Day10:
Well I suppose this log could get boring for individuals following it. To the Rosaceans reading this: I ate any an all forbidden foods and flushing seems suppressed. To the Acne crowd my acne is still in check with a few pimples here and there that are small and come out rather easily. The biggest change is the reduction in oil. That is undeniable...... with this reduction I expect comes the hopeful changes that make this drug irresistable. I can now at this juncture report that side effects are undetectable. Even the dry lips are gone. Sex drive is still intact. Eventually I will be a long termer who can report whether or not there were phantom side effects that pop up somewhere down the road long after I stop taking this controversial frightening yet wonderful drug. Hard to believe that it's a natural substance in our bodies and directly related to vitamin "A". I am feeling a lot better on this drug than the longterm antibiotics I had been taking. You can always tell you are on the antibiotics, but low dose Accutane is becoming undetectable. Well pill 9 was consumed last night and all is still okay.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-15-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
(male)

stokes1214 HB User

Would like to discuss some things with you I am on the same plan.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-16-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
(male)

LowTane HB User
Thumbs up Re: Low Dose Accutane

Well Longhorn glad to hear from someone doing the same thing. It might be informative if you and I were to post our questions and answers to each other in this forum. That way readers (300 plus at this point) may gain from our experiences. My first question to you is what are your stats? If you could post those it would be great.

14 Feb 2009
New symptom: Itchy Face

Day 10 cont-
Well, I will make this short. I have just taken my 10th 20mg accutane pill and all is going well. No side effects of any noticable import. It seems my body has gotten use to it. My face is nicely itchy around my normal oil areas. The listed side effects: headache, nausea, bloody nose, cracking dry lips, lack of sex drive...etc.. have not occured at this dosage. My oil has been affected significantly. I have gotten a large portion of my life back in just 10 days. Pimples are showing up and emptying easily then drying out. I still may have a major outbreak coming, we shall see. I have been mildly rosy throughout, I am not sure if it really is Rosacea or some other reaction. I now do not believe I will ask for less of a dosage at my Derm appt. this month. Well I expected a horrible experience on this drug and thats not happening so far. I guess it could get worse. So far, I love it.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-15-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
(male)

LowTane HB User

16 Feb 2009
New symptom: Sunburn easily

Day 11:
I went to play golf today and got red within one hour. I remember reading that Accutane makes you sensitive to sunshine (UV). Definitely sensitive, turned red quickly. Could be a combo of Rosacea and sunburn. Will wear sunblock from now on. No other side effects present. None.

Best Wishes
LowTane

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
(male)

LowTane HB User

17 Feb 2009

Day 12:
Well I took pill #11 last night. I am now getting acne on my chin and nose. I suspect the cessation of Doxycycline has allowed the bacterial populations to come back. Since Accutane is not an antibiotic I am bound to catch a few. They hurt...... Accutane cuts sebaceous activity and thereby reducing the food source for the bacteria that makes acne possible. It's hard to believe I am almost 50 and I am going through the trials and tribulations of a teenager. I will continue my regimen and play this game to the end. I hope this is the initial dreaded breakout I read about in other forums. Right now my oil is extemely reduced but not eliminated. Not on this dose and not at this time. I will continue to report changes in physiology as I experience them. I hope this helps someone out there who may be contemplating Accutane. I have calculated that the total cummulative dose of Accutane of 120mg per kg of body weight for best permanent remission opportunity would not occur for 540 days on this dosage. Something to talk to the Derm about.

Day 12: Cont-
Its time for pill number 12 here shortly. It should be noted that absorbtion can be increased by taking Accutane with a fatty meal. Hmmmmm...you can somewhat adust your dosage just by food selection. Well, the acne doesn't hurt as much as it did earlier. Its not very red either. Seems this drug is a wonderful anti-inflammatory substance. Face is still mildly itchy, lips are no longer dry at all. My face is better in just under two weeks on this drug than it has been in a long time. Well thats all for today. Pill #12 is on deck.

Best

Best Wishes
LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-17-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Closed Thread