It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

lpillarella HB User
Question All Smooth Beam recipients- oil reduction?

Please indicate how many treatments you have had, and whether you notice a decrease in oil production. I do not want to spend all of the $$ if it is not effective for oil reduction.
Thank you much!

Old 07-04-2003, 07:17 AM   #2
(female)

Catherine21 HB User
I've had two treatments: the first was three weeks ago (at level 12), and the second was yesterday (at level 13). My skin seems slightly less oily, but there's not enough difference at this point to justify the cost. The doctor and his staff say they have seen great results with this treatment. In a couple of months, I should know for certain whether the treatment was worth the money.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 09:50 AM   #3

nightzebra HB User
Catherine21:
Are you undergoing this treatment for acne scars, or to treat existing acne? I considered SmoothBeam (I think of Sunbeam bread whenever I type that)for my minor scars and red spots, but my dermatologist advised against it because it alters the texture of the skin: only by incurring damage beneath the skin, which the skin then attempts to repair, is any effect achieved. How does your skin look right now?
As an alternative to SB, I want to find someone who has already introduced the Gentlewaves LED photomodulation technology into his/her practice, but I can't find anyone. In fact, I can't find anyone in Florida who uses SmoothBeam, even. Where are you having your treatments performed?

Old 07-04-2003, 04:17 PM   #4
(female)

Catherine21 HB User
Hi NightZebra. In what way did your dermatologist say that Smoothbeam alters the texture of the skin? Did he say that the texture might look worse? From what I've read, the treatment is supposed to change the texture in a positive way, in the same way that Accutane does. It's supposed to shrink the oil glands and minimize the size of the pores. There's really not much information out there regarding this treatment, so who knows what will happen. I have inflamed acne on my chin, fairly large pores on my cheeks, and oiliness all over (plus the usual red marks and shallow scarring). After the first treatment, there was really no discernible change in the appearance of my skin. After the second treatment yesterday, I have what looks like broken blood vessels under the surface of the skin. And my skin tingles like my legs do after shaving. I live in New Orleans, and my doctor is a facial plastic surgeon. I think he's the only one in the area that owns the Smoothbeam machine. I'll have to read about the other technique that you mentioned. Please tell me more about what your dermatologist said about Smoothbeam.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:33 AM   #5

nightzebra HB User
Thanks for responding, Catherine!
My dermatologist didn't really substantiate his statement in any detail, but he did mean that the texture of my skin COULD (not would) change for the worse and that its present condition didn't justify the risk.
Keep me posted about your recovery from the redness and the stinging sensation. I have a feeling your reaction is normal. If the procedure helps you, would you let me know that as well? New Orleans is within driving distance of where I live (the panhandle), and if I hear favorable things about SB, I might go ahead with it.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:44 AM   #6
(female)

Catherine21 HB User
I'll be glad to keep you posted, NightZebra. Others are this board have been updating everyone on their progress with Smoothbeam as well.

Old 08-10-2003, 06:43 PM   #7
(female)

Catherine21 HB User
Knock on wood, but Smoothbeam seems to have reduced the oil production on my face. I've had two treatments, one at the beginning of June, and the other at the beginning of July. Unfortunately, my face breaks out just as ferociously as before, but my makeup stays on better now that there's less oil. It's too expensive and inconvenient for me to continue the treatments at this point. Any updates from other users?

Old 09-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #8

dance4calif HB User
Has anyone else used the Smoothbeam laser? What about the Cool Touch laser?

Old 09-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #9

Sadinchicago HB User
I have had 5 sessions of smoothbeams. The main reason why I got it was to get rid of my acne, and after I went in, they told me that it will also help scars, and I liked the sound of that, so I went a head and did it.
The treatments hurt a little, but nothing too bad. My acne got a little better, after around 3 treatments, and didnt show any more improvemt. By alittle, I dont mean much at all. My skin was slightly less oily, but nothing too much. It still was very oily, and I needed to wash it 3 times a day. After I would wash, it would still get very oily after like 2-3 hours, and after 5 hours, it was beyond oily. So no, it didnt do much for my oily skin.

It is expensive, and I dont think anyone should get it done to take care of their acne, or the oil.

But, it did improve my scars a little. All of the scars are still there, just look better in apperance.

I am on week 3 of Accutane right now, and my skin is very dry, no oil on it at all, and it has been like since 10 days after I started Accutane.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
(female)

republicangirl HB User
Re: All Smooth Beam recipients- oil reduction?

I am undergoing smooth beam treatment, but it has been 3 months since my last treatment (which was my second). Did you all have smooth beam every month? I am wondering if I have waited too long between treatments...What have you heard about the time span between treatments?
Stephanie

Old 07-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #11
(female)

brittney_marie HB User
Re: All Smooth Beam recipients- oil reduction?

I went and got laser treatments. My derm. told me that smoothbeam was for scarring and Vbeam was for existing acne... I had about 8 or so Vbeam treatments, once every 2 weeks, costing me $50 per treatment. The DR and I then saw improvments and moved onto the smooth beam to help with redness and scarring. Anyone that has existing acne, should check into the Vbeam... They will give u a numbing perscription for the stinging the laser causes. (the stinging only lasts during the procedure and up to an hr after)

Closed Thread