It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
Post Azelex Acid vs. Differin

What do people like better? And why?

Old 06-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #2

bk13 HB User
azelex is much more gentler on the skin as well as less side effects. I hated Differin gel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2003, 01:50 PM   #3

mariee HB User
i disagree. azelex burned my skin, i threw it out after a few days. differin doesn't bother me. everyone is different, unfortunately you have to try things to see what works for you.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #4

elsie9191 HB User
Smile

Differin killed my skin. So far, Azelex is doing a good job. The first night I had to wash it off after about 15 minutes because it did burn. The next night I waited about 20 minutes after washing my face to put it on and it only tingled. After that, no problem with burning. I used a very tiny amount to start and am gradually working up to a the size of a pea. My face really likes it. Not dry, not red, not flaky...what a difference from everything else I've tried.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #5

bk13 HB User
Yes it is azelex is supposed to burn upon fisrt application, but it will reside with continued use.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
Veteran

laur HB User
I use the finacea 15% gel form of azeleic acid. It supposedly penetrates better than the cream in the higher azeleic acid content. I read that somewhere along the way today. But are gels just more typically drying that creams anyway??? My derm said this would be good for me and gave it to me about 3 weeks ago. I guess it's bringing the stuff up, but I tried the 2 times a day thing and it burns (literally the top surface ) of my skin. Everyone seems to say that the azelex is oily.......but this isn't. It smoothes over and then feels sticky or dry or something.
At the time He gave it to me he already knew I was using tazorac 10 minutes at night, taking accutane 2 times per week and taking 50 mg spiro a day. I was dry already and he said this would help because it is in a moisturizing base......I have stopped the spiro, 3 weeks ago and the tazorac 1 week ago because they weren't helping and I seem more dry than I was before. Dry to the point my skin seems rough and pitted. Am I just too dumb to realize all gels are drying?? I used differin last year for 8 months and didn't have a problem. Although it never helped, I only applied for a few minutes and them washed off. Should I have left it on over night or would that have been more drying too?? And don't they do two different things anyway???

Thanks
L

Old 06-10-2003, 03:42 PM   #7

am HB User
I have tried both and prefer Azelex. Differin did not do much for my skin other than irritate it - Azelex made my skin a bit itchy the first few times but is very gentle on the skin and has given me great results.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #8

Christi602 HB User
azelex all the way!
Differin dried out my skin and made it blotchy.
I've been on Axelex for about a month now and I've seen really good resulte. I do have some small breakouts around my hairline and chin, but they're not the usual breakouts...there's nothing in them. I'm just leaving them alone. You can't really see them anyway...only I notice when my face is right up in front of the mirror.
I really think Azelex acid is the answer for a lot of people. The full effect should be seen in 4 or 5 weeks. I'll keep posting to let you all know.
Best wishes to everyone!

Old 06-11-2003, 07:18 AM   #9

elsie9191 HB User
Question

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who posted and like the Azelex those who don't and those who have found something that works for them, what are your ages, skin type, sex, degree of acne and how long have you had it? Also, what have you found that made your skin a lot worse? I'm just wondering if there's a pattern here for what works for which people. I'm 18 and have had it since I was 13. I have combination skin, am female with mild to moderate acne. I couldn't tolerate Differin or Retin A Micro and had no luck with BP, benzaclin or benzamyacin (sorry about spellings). Maybe we can find a pattern our derms cannot

Old 06-11-2003, 08:18 AM   #10
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
I've used azelex for 2 nights, and my skin looks really nice..it adds a bit of moisture to my skin, which i think is what i needed. I use salicylic acid and BP in the morning, and my pores look very clean. I am so far happy with it. It has also helped with some small pimples and one mother huge cyst. I also think it is lightening some of my red marks....but i don't want to jinx it.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
for dancingSonali:

I think we must have similar skin conditions, cause I'm always following up your post.

For everyone:
I love Finacea(15% azelaic acid). I have never used it before, and maybe thats why my skin is loving it. Red marks fading. Works nicely with Retin A. Helping with hyperpigmentation and I'm looking more even without makeup. Woo-hoo!!

Cannot comment on Differin.......just keep the Finacea coming in my opinion!

Old 06-11-2003, 12:31 PM   #12
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
and i always read your posts, as well...DeeDee..i actually stated azelex bc i read that you had good results, and so far i like it. Although i do think my skin condition is due to going on/off birth control pills more than anything.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #13

knut HB User
I just found this kinda old post....wondering if anyone else had any arguments for/against differin/azelex.

Old 09-30-2003, 04:19 PM   #14

wicketglen7 HB User
I tried both.
Differin didn't do the trick while azelex busted them up and hydrates my skin and keeps my ph balance nice and cozy. I hated the differin and I love the azelaic acid. I don't feel like I am putting a topical acne cream on but rather a lotion and it gets rid of my zits! Plus I have really oily, really really really oily skin, but it doesn't make it any oiler! How great is that?

Old 09-30-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Thumbs up

I posted back in June and I'm still loving my Finacea gel and it's almost October. This stuff did it for me. Sorry for those who are sick of hearing about it...wish I knew about it sooner. Cannot comment on Differin....Azelex all the way!

Closed Thread