It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 01:40 PM   #1

mmmelicious HB User
Post Allergic to Salicylic Acid.

I have the strangest reaction to Salicylic Acid and wanted to let other people know in case they don't realize it's happening to them too.

It makes my small zits turn cystic (hard, large, and deep under the skin) and it makes my cysts get HUGE.

I have tested this several times. And I also have found that when I am getting a sudden episode of new cysts it is almost invariably some new product that snuck salicylic acid in and I missed it on the lable.

Oil of Olay Total Effects moisturizer has some in there but doesn't lable it. It gave me cysts. The cleansing cloths as well.

I can use AHA's and BHA's and Glycolic acid with no problems though.

I have not been able to find anyone else who has this reaction.

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 10-01-2003, 04:35 PM   #2

aragornlor22 HB User
Thumbs up

Yes! Every time I try things with salicylic acid I break out really really bad. I tried this stuff called dermafina, which is a skin-care system using mostly salicylic acid, and my face has never looked worse in my whole life.

I also tried that Loreal Pure Zone stuff, which is salicyclic acid, and that made my face break out bad too. Tons of little bumps on my forehead and big, huge, hard cysts on my chin and tons of other pimples on my cheeks, where I usually don't get pimples. I also tried Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin because it was supposed to get rid of acne marks, which I have, but after only one time of putting it on, I got pimples on my cheek again. I've been using benzoyl peroxide stuff, and I don't get pimples on my cheek like that.

So, yes, it's nice to hear that someone else is allergic to salicyclic acid. Well, it's not nice that you broke out, but I was wondering if I was the only one with this reaction, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
Red face

Yep, same here! Same thing with BP.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:39 PM   #4

PinoyGuy85 HB User
Were the effects immediate? Like overnight or within a few hours?

Old 10-02-2003, 09:12 AM   #5

GRRRRRRRRR HB User
Yup. Allergic to BP, too. However, sulfur works really well for me as a spot treatment.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:26 AM   #6

Acnepain HB User
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

Do you use Sulphur Soap? Does it help clear up acne and prevent future outbreaks? How long have you been using it?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2003, 10:10 AM   #7

mmmelicious HB User
Oh my God! I was starting to think I was crazy. Thanks for replying, guys. BP doesn't do it to me (I don't think) but opening zits and also scabs seem to cause scarring so I stay far away from BP.

One time, with SA, a zit grew into the size of my whole chin. I couldn't believe it.

I think with the cysts, hydrocortizone for a couple of days would work, especially since it seems to be an immune response. After that, put the sulfur or whatever.

I am having pretty good luck with sulfur. I have realized that a lot of my favorite products contain it and I didn't know it. Like Queen Helen Mint Julep mask and Mercier oil free make up. I hate the smell of it on my face during the day though. Oh well, small sacrifice.

I now use Acnomel for spot treatment. I used to use tea tree oil but am now immune to it. Anyone else have good spot treatments?

Old 10-02-2003, 10:19 AM   #8

vik357 HB User
Hey mmmelicious,

Let me ask you a question: In what form are you using the SA? Is it a cleanser or a lotion?

The reason i ask is that i've had to go through that debate too. I first used the nutrogena oil-free cleanser face wash with SA and i had a huge cyst pop up. Then i switched to Paula's 1% and 2% lotion and i had two huge cysts pop-up. Never had a breakout like that before really scary. But for reason i didnt want ot give up the SA coz it made the rest of my face look really good. So i switched to a 2% gel (from nutrogena) and haven't had any breakouts from it and my cysts are healing although i know it's the marks will be a whole new battle. So let us know in what form you're using the SA.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #9

GRRRRRRRRR HB User
No, I don't use sulfur soap, but I have been thinking about it lately. I like my burt's bees lettuce, but want something else to pair w/ it. What I've been using that has sulfur is Clearisil Adult Care (I think Acnomel has the same ingredients, too). A huge dollop really shrinks cysts or brings them to the surface quicker. I also use Queen Helene's mint julep mask. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #10

bubbletoes HB User
I thought BHA's and salicylic acids were the same thing.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:00 PM   #11

mmmelicious HB User
I won't be using SA again. I like the idea because I have had good results any time I use acids but this type just didn't work for me. I am also currently testing AHA's because I want to make sure. I'll post about that too.

I have purposely and accidently tried a bunch of things.

Neutragena Deep Pore
Stridex Pads
Oil of Olay Total effects cleansing cloths
Oil of Olay Total effects moisturizer (I don't think they list it)

Those are just the ones I can remember because I found out 7 years ago or so.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #12
(male)

FargoUT HB User
You are right, bubbletoes. BHA and Salicylic acid is the same thing. So I am a bit confused by the poster who said he could use AHAs and BHAs fine but had a problem with Salicylic acid.

I've never seen salicylic acid cause an allergic reaction. If you use a product for two days, you can't call yourself allergic to it. Salicylic acid goes into the pore and works from the inside, which might explain why it causes the cyst (getting all the dirt and oil out can clog pores, but they go away over time as the poles are cleared). It took my face a month of using Salicylic acid before I got continually clear skin (of course with the occasional breakout).

If you do think you are allergic to salicylic acid, try switching to tea tree oil. It has similar qualities (the smell may put off some people, but it's got a nice clean antiseptic scent if you like that). Don't use 100% tea tree oil--usually it's better to dilute it with something (witch hazel, perhaps).

Old 10-02-2003, 02:58 PM   #13

mmmelicious HB User
Uh oh. I didn't realize that BHA is Salicylic acid! God, it's in everything. I'm curious to see if asprin applied topically would do the same thing. I think someone posted a recipe for a toner with vinegar and asprin. I might check this out someday... but probably not. )

Does anyone know if there is a form of BHA that is not Salicylic acid?

I think what I might be liking about the Pore Refining cream is the Retinol. It's worth a look-see anyway.

By the way, tea tree oil was my best friend for a long time because it sterilizes everything; acne, sore throats, under-arms, feet. It's even great in your dish soap. Well, like antibiotics, you can also become immune to this, and I am. It sucks because I LOVED this stuff.

Take care.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:00 PM   #14

mmmelicious HB User
Oh, also, I was using it for around a year before I realized what was going on.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:46 PM   #15

bubbletoes HB User
Yeah, you can crush up uncoated asprin, mix in a little water to form a paste and make a mask out of it. It is supposed to work like BHA and give the skin a nice glow. I have not tried it but have heard great things about this.

Closed Thread