It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

marshmello HB User
Smile Certain foods and beverages wreak havoc on my skin

After years of embarrasing acne (mainly cystic acne on the cheeks, chin and jaw line), I finallly discovered the simple solution to my clear skin. This may not work for everyone, but it helped me. The first time I noticed clear skin was a month after starting Estrostep (birth control pills). No matter what I ate or what products I used on my face, there was NO acne. I was soooo excited and relieved! It was the best thing that could have happened to me. THEN, about 2 years later, it all went down hill as soon as I stopped taking the pill. I was at a loss because I wanted clear skin, but no longer wanted the synthetic hormones. Finally, I noticed that everytime I ate or drank certain foods and beverages, the acne would flare up severly, just days after consuming them. Once I eliminated the following items from my diet, I've had almost NO acne. I still get an occasional pimple, but it's very small and is gone in a day or two.

My list of TORTURE foods and beverages:

(1) All crunchy, salty, cheesy type snacks (Doritoes, Cheetos, Fritoes, Tortilla chips, Corn chips, Cheese curls, Potato chips (baked and fried) as well as all crackers (Ritz, Cheez-its and peanut butter stuffed)

(2) All yogurt (especially Activia).

(3) All Citrus juices (Orange, grapefruit and lemonade)...artificial lemonade is okay.

(4) Certain fruits (Pineapple and strawberries). It must be the acid.

(5) All Chocolate candy and items with chocolate in them such as cookies, ice-cream and trailmix (a cup of Hot cocoa is fine).

Cutting out all of these items was extremely difficult in the beginning because I LOVE me some Twix bars, Pink grapefruit juice and Tortilla chips with spinach dip.

But, I've made the sacrifice in order to have clear skin and I no longer waste money on expensive acne washes, toners or medications. My daily regimen consists of Olay or Ponds facial cloths (to remove makeup) and Olay moisturizer. That's it!

I hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited by marshmello; 06-04-2009 at 08:24 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to marshmello For This Useful Post:
angelap99 (01-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
(female)

Marieh83 HB User
Re: Certain foods and beverages wreak havoc on my skin

i may have try something like this but i love food so so much!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
(female)

haley HB User

my skin does the same thing when i eat junk food! but i cant really stop eating the foods i love.. ): but i have noticed that when i eat cheerios for breakfast for about every day for a week or so my acne doesnt get so bad!! and then i feel like i can eat more chocolates and stuff!!!.. but i dont like eating cheerios everyday so that better looking skin never lasts :/

and would you recomend taking birth control pills for acne????

Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

marshmello HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haley View Post
and would you recomend taking birth control pills for acne????
Not at all. Birth control pills have way too many added risks such as higher chance of stroke and heart attack. It's not worth it just for clearer skin. You'd be laid up in a casket with flawless skin.
I don't think so.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

Deane HB User

The underlying culprit in many cases is BROMIDE, which is used in dark colas, plus chocolate, also, milk and milk products can aggrevate cystic acne, the only answer I know is the hormone from the cow. If you find that food causes break outs, be careful of medications, as people are usually suspectible to fixed drug reactions who have skin problems. Deane

Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
(male)

pizza-face HB User

the worst culprits are sugar, caffeine, dairy and wheat...........

wheat or barley and rye may be the top culprits due to gluten in them.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
(male)

MG098 HB UserMG098 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza-face View Post
the worst culprits are sugar, caffeine, dairy and wheat...........

wheat or barley and rye may be the top culprits due to gluten in them.
This is a good post. I have my caffeine daily, but completely cut my sugar and gluten intake. It's hard, but it's all worth it at the end of the day if you have clear skin.

-M

Old 01-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

Can definitely identify that diet can affect or aggravate acne. My mum and me both seem rather prone to it. We both noticed improvements when we started cutting out fried cooking and dairy. Once stuff like fried chicken and milk shakes, (major weaknesses lol) were cut down, we noticed trouble with acne improved for us both! Had to make some hard to do adjustments to the traditional cook-offs and fry-offs and those carb rich gravies just for overall better diet but seemed to help with acne too.

Even tried being vegetarian/vegan briefly (though I am not sure if that helped with the skin trouble).

Some food types can definitely be acne triggers I think. Even stuff like beer, started going slow on that too.

(Oh another thing, perhaps somewhat off topic to this thread, but still on the subject of acne.) One doc prescribed minocycline, an antibiotic, it did seem to help for a while at the time. It might help some who are experiencing skin outbreaks.

Last edited by stasis4; 01-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Closed Thread