It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

twinmom513 HB User
Acne - Spironolactone

Hi,
I have been on Spironolactone (100 mg/day) for several years to help control my acne. I was also on Yasmin to control my periods. My skin has been in great shape. In January of this year I had an abdominal hysterectomy and they left the ovaries. They took me off of the pill and my face is breaking out again. About a month ago, I went off the Spironolactone to see if it is making any difference. So far, I don't see much change and I'm still having problems with acne. Would it be possible that I have become immune to Spironolactone? Also, since I no longer have a period, would the hormonal fluctuations that usually come during my period still be happening after a hysterectomy. Sorry, I'm fairly confused about all of this and trying to get my skin back under control. Any advise would be great! I've fought acne from my early teens until now and I'm currently 47. ARGH! Thanks for your help! Sheri

Old 06-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MyHappy HB User
Re: Acne - Spironolactone

Hi, What Spiro and Yasmin provided was not hormone regulation but their diuretic effects. Once one aligns with it and then takes some time off of it, it will be very hard to get back because the body will retain more water(defensive mode) hence diminishing their effects. You can try a higher dose but it is not very healthy. Follow this for a while:

Drink 2 glasses of water when you wake up and before you go to sleep. During the day, drink 1 glass after each urination. Preferable for the urine to be clear to very light yellow. Maintain a good hygiene and try to be active. And that's it!

Try this for a week... you have nothing to lose except going to the bathroom quite often which you must have already been doing with Spiro.

Last edited by MyHappy; 06-27-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

How does a diuretic effect control acne?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

MyHappy HB User

It forces water to circulate throughout the body continuously.

Last edited by MyHappy; 06-28-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

Hi twinmom, . Please return to the doctor that origionally gave Spiro to you, perhaps an endocrinologist and have your hormones checked and see from there what is going on. Maybe your hormones are out of whack now. He will know what to do from there. We aren't doctors on this board, so I really couldn't tell you what to do, but I certainly care. Good luck acne is no fun to keep getting as we get older

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-28-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

MyHappy HB User

No, we aren't "doctors" but it was doctors who told her to get off of it. Frankly, they practice on probability.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHappy View Post
No, we aren't "doctors" but it was doctors who told her to get off of it. Frankly, they practice on probability.
Hey there MyHappy,

I am very intrigued by your water pump theory. My husband asked me the other day if it wasn't the water that made her clear on the meds. So interesting. Still need to know how much water is optimal. If you have an opinion on that please advise. She saw the derm today but they don't usually weigh in on that stuff. You are right about the docs practicing on probabilities. I'm the one who told our derm about spiro in the first place and now he prescribes it more.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-05-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Don't ask for doctors. Read the rules.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

hi twinmom and skimom... how is everyone doing with spiro?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Well I think there has been progress. Not clear yet, but progress.

Closed Thread