It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #1

fightinghypo HB User
Post Message for TimDream

Don't know what happened to the thread of the post, but it seems to not be loading properly, did we exceed some limit?

Didn't catch your last post.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:21 PM   #2

fightinghypo HB User
What a great website!

If you have nay other great information for me , now is not the time to hold back

I am going to try the Alpha Hydrox Cleanser because sodium lauryl sulfate is farther down on the list then on the regualar Purpose.

I sent an email to the person at sage asking about the rest of the ingredients that were not listed.
Some interesting suggestions in the hair care section, including the Suave product

Also I have continued the AHA/BHA and they seem to be working, glad u convinced me to stick with it.
I ordered some more Paula BHA solution.

But I can't seem to beat these damn whiteheads/blackheads on my nose.
Every single day they are filled with nasty gunk.
Neither the BHA lotion or solution seems to work, nor the 1 percent, nor the AHA.
Any suggestions?

Also what do u think about a slightly more harsh exoliant?
I have heard conflicting things about scubbing, but
I seem to have tiny clogged pores in the shaving areas of my face that don't seem to respond to the AHA/BHA. JimC981 mentioned using a DDF Acne Scrub with 2.5 % BP? Does this sound like too much?

Thanks again for the amazing website, and as always all your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 12:58 AM   #3
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

I'm glad you find the website to be informative!

I think that scrubbing is okay, as long as you use an exfoliator that uses either jojoba beads or smooth polyethelene (plastic) beads. Anything that uses shells or pumice stone will cause tiny microabrasians in the skin, which will allow more bacteria in, and will cause MORE breakouts! Shells and pumice will also aggravate current acne.

I tried the DDF Acne Scrub with BPO, and for some reason it turned my face bright red. If you have a Sephora store near you, you can ask them to make a little sample of it for you to take home and try. The samples are free and come in little plastic containers. They are usually good for 2-3 uses.

Some other good scrubs that you might want to look into (that don't contain shells!):
~ Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant (contains BHA)
~ Peter Thomas Roth Botanical Buffing Beads
~ Proactiv Renewing Cleanser (contains 2.5% BPO)
~ Renee Rouleau Enzyme Scrub (contains AHA)

All of these are smooth and gentle.

For blackheads on the nose, many people find the 2% solution to be effective enough, especially if used for at least a few weeks. For me, the small blackheads on my nose are more stubborn! So, the best thing I've found is the consistent use of BPO, on my nose only, where it needs it. Like I said in another thread, I use the Proactiv Repairing Lotion (2.5% BPO) for this.

Another thing that I've found to be effective for blackheads (but NOT whiteheads) on the nose are pore strips, like those from Ponds or Biore. I usually do a mask, then apply a pore strip right after, and leave it on for at least half an hour (not just 10 minutes like the directions say). However, be aware that this is just a temporary "fix." The blackheads always come back. Also, there is some risk of broken capillaries (those fine red lines) with the use of pore strips. But I think it's worth it to do, like before special occasions when I want to look "extra clean." I just don't do it too often.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 09-10-2003).]

Old 08-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #4

fightinghypo HB User
HeyTimDream,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look for one of those scrubs. Yeha I am going to give the solution some more time.

Couple of questions though?
I have been using the benzamycin first then the BHA.What do you think about this?
Does it reduce its effectivness?
I think i have asked u this before but...
How soon after one should i apply the other, meaning BHA or AHA after cleanse/dry and then how long till BP?
Also how much longer for the moisturizer or sunscreen?
Can i throw aloe vera in the mix anywhere or is this too much- as a moisturizer/oil reducer?

Thanks

Old 08-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

I'm not sure about the benzamycin. As I've mentioned before, I've never tried prescription meds so I have no idea about those things. Sorry!

For AHA, some people suggest that you wait about 10 minutes after cleansing to apply. This is because the waiting time allows your skin to return to its normal pH balance, and reduces potential irritation or sensitivity from the AHA.

I've never heard of any waiting time for BHAs; just as long as your face is no longer wet. Personally, I don't have the time or patience to wait, so I apply BHAs and AHAs immediately after I cleanse my face, and it's fine for me.

I think you can also apply any BPO or moisturizer immediately after the AHA or BHA.

I think you should try using the aloe vera in place of your moisturizer, and see if it moisturizes enough for you. Pure aloe vera is an excellent moisturizer (if it is emollient enough for your skin) because of its healing and soothing properties, and it is VERY unlikely to clog pores!

I've never heard of aloe being an oil reducer though. The only way I can think of it reducing oil is that it gives your skin an adequate moisture balance. If your skin feels too dried out or stripped, it will produce extra oil to compensate. Thus, if the aloe creates a moisture balance, then your skin will not have to produce EXTRA oil. It will not make your skin LESS oily than normal, though.

Hope this helps some! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Old 08-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #6

fightinghypo HB User
Is sodium lauryl sulfoacetate the same as sodium lauryl sulfate?

Old 08-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Question

I'm not sure! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 08-22-2003, 02:07 AM   #8

Acnepain HB User
TimDream,

As you probably saw from my earlier posts, I didn't have much success with the 1%BHA, in fact my skin is only now returning to normal (as normal as can be expected)-I got bumps in places where I wouldn't normally get spots, so I think it didn't suit me at all. I haven't used it in about a week, maybe I used too much as I was so enthuastic about it after the first week.
Anyway, I have now received the BHA 2% Liquid solution and hopefully I will have more luck with this. I won't start using it for another 2 weeks as my sister is getting married and I don't want a big outbreak if I react to it.
Did you experience the same problems when you used the 1%BHA? I'm just a bit worried as lots of people are saying that you should start on the 1% as the 2% is for people with very oily skin- and my skin isnt really oil at all..........Did you experience an outbreak when you started the 2%BHA?

Sorry for all the questions!!!!!

Old 08-22-2003, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Acnepain,

No, I never experienced any initial outbreak with either the PC 1%, nor the 2% solution.

Are you sure it wasn't something else, and not the 1%, that was causing the bumps? Maybe Paula's Choice products are just not right for your skin.

But good luck trying the 2% anyway!

Old 08-27-2003, 08:06 PM   #10

fightinghypo HB User
Hey there TimDream,

well I was having a nice weekend until I got my first really bad cyst style pimple in a while.

It was an old blemish that I had been rubbing AHA into, and all of a sudden turned back into a pimple.
I gave the Neutrogena On the Spot a shot at it and I promptly got another, even bigger one right next to it.Literally first one and then second "bad" pimples
I have gotten since I started the Doryx, the AHA and BHA stuff two months ago. Now it's left a big blemish that I am not very happy about.

Sometime along there I switched to Alpha Hydrox cleanser from the purpose and I am not sure if that had any effect. The alpha hydrox seemed to help in certain areas that the Purpose was not, but I dont really know if it caused the other pimples.

Anyway not happy with any of the cleansers, i read somebody else's post saying that her husband tried using Coast body soap on his face and I guess the anti-bacterial in it cleared his face.Someone else suggested using am anti-bacterial soap (Coast or Dial)with aloe so it wouldn't be too drying. I am thinking about giving it a try or maybe the phisoderm, cause these gentle cleansers don't seem to be doing the trick.Somebody on this board suggested a stridex cleanser with triclosan and I think clearsil makes one. There's also the Paula skin balancing cleanser, but I went to that site u sent me about the ingredients and her cleanser has a bunch of stuff that people list as pore clogging.
Any suggestions, this setback has me bummed.

Thank you as always.

Old 08-28-2003, 02:50 PM   #11

fightinghypo HB User
bump to the top

Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 PM   #12
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Hey,

I'm not sure about using those bar soaps on your face...I never have. It works for some people, though. Just keep in mind that almost every bar soap contains sodium tallowate (or some form of tallow), which holds the soap together in its bar shape, and is pore-clogging.

I've forgotten if you've mentioned...have you tried the regular Purpose cleanser, or the Moisturizing Foaming version? I love the MFC, but I'd never use the regular (Gentle Cleansing Wash) version because of its fragrance.

You might want to give a sample of one of the (or all of them) Paula's Choice cleansers a try. Remember, the Sage list isn't the bible! It's only a rough guide that works for MOST people, MOST of the time!

I think Clearasil makes a sensitive skin wash that I've heard good things about. I think Noxema has a sensitive version as well. "Sensitive" versions of cleansers are usually a safer bet because they usually don't contain fragrance.

Also, remember that just because a cyst popped up, it doesn't mean that your routine now is not working! As I'm sure you know, a blemish can take 2 weeks to develop, so this one might have been starting 2 weeks ago, and just rearing its ugly head now. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif

hope this helps....?? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 08-28-2003, 08:35 PM   #13
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Oh yeah...

I wanted to add...have you ever tried the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask? I don't use it as a whole-face mask, but it is absolutely the best spot-treatment I've ever used. Just blob it onto the zit at night, go to sleep, and by the next morning the sucker is way smaller. The active ingredients are clay and sulfur.

It can be found in most drugstores, usually on the bottom shelves of the skincare aisle because it is so CHEAP! It's only like $3-4 for a huge tube!

Old 08-28-2003, 08:39 PM   #14

fightinghypo HB User
Does the clearasil or noxzema product that you're talking about have the antibacterial?

Old 08-29-2003, 01:19 PM   #15
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Question

I'm not sure. I actually have no first-hand experience with those 2 cleansers, but I'm just proposing them as options. The only one I can really personally attest for is the Purpose MFC.

Closed Thread