It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2003, 09:43 AM   #1

John K HB User
Question what to do after chemical peel?

I recently had 4 15% TCA chemical peels to get rid of pigmentation. I was also given a bleaching cream containing glycolic acid which caused a hell of a lot of damage to the skin around my eyes i.e. burning and scarring. Iím having another 4 peels in a couple of weeks time and my derm is telling me to keep using the cream. Iíve since read that glycolic acid should not be applied to the skin after a chemical peel so Iíve stopped using it. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do after a chemical peel?

Old 10-19-2003, 01:44 PM   #2

Silverspur HB User
Find a more competent doctor, one who knows what products should be used on face after peels without causing more problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2003, 01:48 PM   #3

Don't b Down HB User
ive had a couple tca peels so far...my derm also had me using some pads with like 2% glycolic acid i think. so im also curious. but i think that what u read is based on the idea that glycolic acid does what peels do, only gradually. So maybe after the peel it would be a good idea to let ur skin heal with as littl interference as possible. however,i think i heard that using glycolic acid in the time leading up to a peel increases the results and effetiveness of the peel. whatever the case, worth asking ur derm about

Old 10-19-2003, 05:35 PM   #4

John K HB User
Iíve also heard that using glycolic acid before a peel is beneficial but apparently after a peel your skin is very sensitive and nothing harsh should be used, only stuff like petroleum jelly etc. I checked out the website of the medical company who make the peel and they state that exfoliants should never be used after a peel and its them who actually provide the cream! Very bizarre? My derm wants me to keep using the cream but Iíd be insane to do so, I just hope the damage isnít permanent.

Old 11-07-2003, 10:29 AM   #5

gatesofpearl HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K
Iíve also heard that using glycolic acid before a peel is beneficial but apparently after a peel your skin is very sensitive and nothing harsh should be used, only stuff like petroleum jelly etc. I checked out the website of the medical company who make the peel and they state that exfoliants should never be used after a peel and its them who actually provide the cream! Very bizarre? My derm wants me to keep using the cream but Iíd be insane to do so, I just hope the damage isnít permanent.
I also burned the skin under my eyes with a glycolic acid cream. Glycolic acid is nasty stuff, in my opinion. Thankfully, for me, there was no permanent damage. But I've switched to lactic acid peels 'cause they are milder and just as effective.

Closed Thread