It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
Arrow how much has this forum actually helped you?

I know that many of you have going to this forum for some time now, where you can get advice. I think I have gotten a lot of emotional comfort taking to people here with the same problem. However, with regards to products, I sometimes don't really know what to choose. There are so many products with so many explanations and it works differently for people, so it gets confusing. Perhaps this forum is like a lottery machine, in which I feel that I am takign lottery ticket which I try a product, and if you get the right number, you win the lottery by getting a clear face. I'm still strugging to find the winning lottery number I guess. I'm actually thinking that this forum probably made the acne worse for some people, cuz they ended up trying products that made their face worse. Has your face actually improved or been aggravated since you started coming here? Perhaps the fact that everybody here experiences the same problem establishes a bitter sense of desperation. we see people that are desperate and overexaggerate the problem so we become desperate too. Perhaps ignorance is better? Perhaps we end up thinking about acne MORE when we know that mentally obsessing about it isn't gonna make it better. Perhaps some of us have been cleared of acne already and just wish to help people =) Perhaps this. Perhaps that. How far has your skin actually progressed since you started coming here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #2

knut HB User
You're right Frogprince. I think for the most part; this forum is good for emotional support; at least acne sufferers know that they aren't alone. We can sympathize or comfort others that are having a bad day. But, really, that's about it. I mean, everyone is different. The products that work for some that rant and rave about them; won't work for the person that is just dying to find the next thing that they haven't tried yet that just HAS to be the cure for them.

When my face was really, really broken out; I felt like I was on this site constantly, doing searches for everything possible - ready to try everything, all at once. .....and that's what I did, and my face payed for it.

This site has helped me learn SOME knowledge, but mainly it's been comforting to know others are in the same boat. I can vent here where I can't do it anywhere else.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:08 PM   #3

Laurenmarie179 HB User
I came to this site about a month ago, after years of struggling w/ my acne that was not helped long term by prescriptiion products. I was at my wits end, ready to take the accutane plunge, as it seemed my acne was slowly getting worse as i got older (im 24), and nothing else could help.

I think this board has helped me emotionally and for my skin. I came here using Proactiv--thinking it was the best skincare out there for acne but just not good for me cuz it didnt help my acne---i learned that it didnt help MANY people, not just me, and there are better products out there.

I am one of those who hears about a product/method and then does a "search" on this board to see what others have experienced.

since coming to this board, i have tried zinc, various vitamins, green tea (on the face), tea tree oil, paulas choice BHA and BP, Olay regenerist (purchased but yet to try) and Carley's clear and smooth (also purchased but yet to try because im trying another cleanser first--Dermologica clay cleanser--which BTW i loveee)...so far, of the products ive tried and have been using a couple weeks, the only one i no longer use is tea tree oil--it did shrink my zits (no better than BP though) BUT it made them bright red in the process.

I dont think this board gives bad advice on products--because there is no one "magic" product that will work for everybody, so i think its unfair when people term a product as "Evil" or a "miracle" because that only applies to certain people, not to everybody....it HAS saved me a lot of money though on methods i was going to try and decided not to after reading numerous bad reviews here--like on those acne cure type pills such as zenmed. i also decided not to invest in spa facials.

my skin is definitely clearer than when i came, however, my skin is so moody and went through its momentary clear moments before, so im waiting a a bit longer before i say for sure if the products/methods i now use are really helping. so far so good though---
-now if i could just find a way to PREVENT my damn chin cysts rather than just treat them!

i will write an update in a month with all the new products i have been using and tell everybody how they worked for me.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:45 PM   #4

Sahuja1 HB User
I think that this board has helped me immensely!! This board is where I first hear of Spiro! My derm never suggested it to me. I suggested it to him after hearing about it here and it has kept me clear for about 8 months so far! I never would have heard of it otherwise! And of course its nice to share your problem with people who understand it and don't just say "oh you are just too finicky about your skin!"

Old 10-16-2003, 07:27 PM   #5

Scooterman HB User
It hasn't really helped me at all and in fact I wish I had never found it because I'm addicted to it

I have to visit atleast once a day....everyday.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:57 PM   #6

BlueGreen HB User
This forum has helped me immensely to realize that there are other people who suffer like I do and who do the silly things that i do when I'mm upset. Sometimes if you have a bad bout of picking or something you feel like you are the only one and you have no self control or something. Its good to understand that everyone gets frustrated and there are a lot of people out there who don't even know you that are willing to help and support you. BUT I do often find it quite odd that there are so many posts on this board about people trying things for a week or two and then trying something else. Switching around can be so much worse on your skin! Patience is a virtue sometimes and a lot of these medications take time to work, there is no quick fix most of the time. I still have acne, but it is not as bad at all as it was about four years ago before I went on diane 35. It took about 9 months before the effect of the diane was really noticable. Nine Months! But it was worth the wait. Sometimes all the stuff that gets talked about on these boards is really tempting to try, there's a post every day almost about how some one got clear. Its important to remember that everyone is different and you should always approach new things with caution. but overall, these boards have been a great help to me and I am very thankful for everyone here.

Old 10-17-2003, 09:55 AM   #7
(male)

FargoUT HB User
If it weren't for this board, I may never have known about Paula's Choice, which is the only thing that has consistently worked for me. It is also nice to be emotionally supported by seeing other people with the same problems as I have. However, that isn't to say this forum is all good. Since joining this board, I have noticed that I've become even more aware of acne on myself and other people. I don't really know if I can place blame on this board, necessarily, but it is one of the reasons I've become more superficial. I try not to be, but when I hear about all the acne sufferers desiring beautiful skin, it makes me notice it. Not only do I want it, I want it on the people I date or get involved with. I'm becoming that which I loathe.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:41 AM   #8
Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
I have to say that this board is great for emotional support! It is nice to be able to talk about the most gross part about acne and the emotional damage it has on a person and just overall being able to vent!

You guys are the only ones that I can relate to when it comes to this subject! I barely know anyone out of my friends and certainly not anyone in my family who has this problem or can relate!

As far as trying products, yeah, I tried a few since being on this board but decided to let a professional help me because I didn't want to keep messing with my skin. Not to mention everybody is different. What works for one may not work for the other!

So, needless to say I love these boards! I have fun on them. we are all in it together! I like that.
Peace!

~Jill~

Old 10-17-2003, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
When I joined this board I was so miserable that I wanted to kill myself. Everywhere I looked I saw people with beautiful skin that could just wake up in the morning, go to work and live a normal life. I thought I was completely alone. I was trying to bargain with god for another disease that could actually be cured. This board has really saved me in knowing that I am not alone with this problem. The miracle cures and products don't help me much because I get worse when I use almost anything on my face. I wish that we could all get together for a party or something and just relax, be ourselves and laugh our troubles away instead of obsessing about our faces with each other.

Old 10-19-2003, 12:24 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
there's been a quite a number of people who's been leaving this forum in the last week...

either they found the cure or gave up...

Old 10-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #11
(female)

lynn82 HB User
hey i find this board really helpfull, mostly because whenever i find something on the net i look it up in the archives to see if it really works.

Old 10-20-2003, 12:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
diane-35 is a anti-androgen with estrogen bc pill.spiro is an anti-androgen.well the anti-androgen in diane-35 isnt really an anti-androgen but acts like one.estrogen in its self can act like an anti-androgen.premerin is a potent estrogen but possible side effects galore as well as being expensive.im on 2.5 mgs prem and 100 mgs spiro a day.its still working but its not a cure.my whole body is 100% clear.guys unless u dont mind being a girl then spiro/prem is kinda out.u might get by on low doses of spiro alone but i dont think low doses will clear u completely.and even for girls prem is a kinda potential dangerous estrogen+ that they get it from pregneat mare urin.yea their is so much stuff out there and everybody is different so the ways of attacking acne can be dufferent for everybody.maybe u can just go on accutane for 10 years at low doses.it might kill ya but u might die with clear skin.just kidding,dont actually try something like that.

[This message has been edited by joeh (edited 10-20-2003).]

Old 10-20-2003, 12:32 AM   #13
(female)

Chandni HB User
I think this forum helped me a lot. I got to know things I would have never found out. Any skin Problem there was a cure for it in this forum. I love it.

I just wanna say thanx to everybody posting their opinions.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:01 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
It has helped me products I didn't know of, Cetaphil, Burt's bees, aquaphor, certain vitamins for the skin, Yasmin for hormonal acne. Now with the accutane.. Even though I stopped the board upon starting accutane...cuz I couldn't stand it anymore. But thanks for the new products I discovered.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:26 AM   #15
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
This board hasn't helped me at all. I'm trying to break the addiction of coming here almost daily. As for emotional support... it's not very encouraging to see so many people dealing with acne for so long and not being able to find their cure. If anything, it's made more depressed.

Closed Thread