It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #1

patienceandreward HB User
Talking Finally beautiful skin without oral medication-Part 2

Hi Everyone,

For the last 2 days, I haven't been able to access my post: Finally beautiful skin without oral medication. I have contacted the moderator, but I was told that there was nothing wrong w/that thread. I also saw people replying to that thread in the last 2 days. So, I know it's my computer's problem.

Anyways, for those who replied to that thread, and I have not replied, pls. re-post here so that I can read your questions/comments. Thanks.

Wish everyone well.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
hey patienceandreward i'm glad for your success in fighting acne.

I've noticed that you are using different products for different purposes. A different product for bumps, a different products for moustirzation... etc.

Besides Paula's Choice, are there any good products you can recommend for bumps? I am currently on accutane and oil of olay regenerist which is really helping my face and most of my face has cleared, but I am still experiencing problems with single bumps. I think i am too sensative to BP so I'm not sure if that product u are using will work for me. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
another question

what does paula's choice BHA Actually do for your face? for what purpose?

Old 09-06-2003, 12:11 PM   #4

Hi frogprince,

BHA exfoliates both the surface of the skin and inside the pore to eliminate clogged pores.

Based on my own experience and what I know, you should try to avoid using most products except for moisturizer when you're on Accutane. When you're on Accutane, your skin's sensitivity increases greatly. Thus, most of the things people use to prevent acne (bp, bha, Vitamin A like Retin A) are just too irritating for people when they're on Accutane. Using these products may prevent skin improving from the benefit of Accutane. I understand that you're concerned w/the bumps. Before I recommend anything, can you tell me if your skin is dry right now?

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 09-06-2003).]

Old 09-06-2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
right now, my face experiences dryness but I am using the Olay Regenerist and it is working fine with moustirizing my skin. I am thinking of using glycolic peels to help with the scars and blemishes, but i still have problems with the ocassional bump or two

Old 09-07-2003, 11:39 AM   #6

Hi frogprince,

Pls. don't use the peel. Since you're experiencing dryness, which is expected, you'll most likely irritate your skin & create new problems if you use the peel. How long have you been on Accutane?

Old 09-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #7

Forcefed4 HB User
Hey patience, you said your skin was up/down for the first 2 months or so while starting to use PC's BHA products, correct? I assume it's because it's unclogging all the debris in the skin, and causes some breakouts?

I am experiencing stuff you mentioned, like some whiteheads scattered on my face, and larger breakouts on my neck. I am trying to be patient, because my skin DOES feel/look better in some spots, but it's hard. I am not even at the 4 week mark since I received the products.

Does this sound familiar? Should I stick to it?

Kev

Old 09-07-2003, 06:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
hey patienceandreward
(by the way, thanks a lot for the replies. I really appreciate them so far)

this is my situation ==>

i have been on accutane for 2 months
cleared up most of my acne

these are my problems

dryness
redness
blemishes & scars
ocassional big, stubborn bumps which leave marks

current topicals

Este Lauder Counter Blemish 1.0 % Salycic Acid (only on bumps)
progress - so far... too weak for big pimples. I mite be bumping up to a 2& Salycic Acid.

Olay Regenerist Serum - I use this to treat dryness... working fine so far. Its help with my skin tone and texture. Skin isn't dry that much anymore. (I'm glad this stuff doesn't irritate my skin either)
frequency - twice a day

Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Enhanced Creme - Hopefully these will reduce my marks... like my blemishes and scars. It doesn't irritate my skin. I've only been on it a week. But i really do hope it will fade my marks.
Frequency - every nite.
*personally... i think redness, scars, and blemishes are my biggest problem right now.

Cleanser - Olay Foaming Face Wash.
working fine. No irritation. But i want to consider something that would be more beneficial rather than just cleaning my face. I'm considering switching to Cetaphil or Clearasil. (I can't use the Neutrogena one u used, it only dried up my skin)

Sunblock - Olay enhancing lotion with UV Protection. No Problem. No irritation.

Products considering (have to switch if i have to)

-the Paula's Choice Products you used
-Glycolic peel. (I am 19 years old. Somebody told me i mite be too young to be using this. Is this true?)

Anywayz, these products are the current pieces i am trying to combine to form a mystery puzzle that would lead to my clear face. I need some opinions and advice. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2003, 07:55 PM   #9

Hi Forcefed4,

It sure sounds familiar. I would stick to it if the 'rate' that the acne disappears increase as time goes by. For example, when I first started my regime, most whiteheads would stay around for 2 weeks. After one month of use, they would leave in 1 week. After 2 months of use, they would leave in 3 days. So, although I was getting new whiteheads, I wasn't scared because they leave pretty quickly without leaving any marks.

Why are you getting breakouts on neck? Do you apply the products on neck as well?

Old 09-07-2003, 08:21 PM   #10

Hi frogprince,

You are so welcome; I get a lot of satisfaction from hearing people not having to deal with acne anymore.

I'm very surprised that you're using so many products while on Accutane. As you have probably read, I took 5 courses of Accutane. My skin was also very dry throught the time that I was on the medication. Besides the Neutrogena cleanser and a sunscreen, I didn't put anything else on my face. Most of my red marks came off before I had finished the course of Accutane. I suspect that one of the reasons that caused the red marks to come off was the dryness.

It sounds like that Accutane is working well for you. That's the good news. However, I'd really think twice about using Estee Lauder's BHA and Alpha Hydrox's AHA. I'm pretty sure that they are causing the redness, and I suspect that they are causing the bumps as well. It really sounds like that your skin is too irritated. The reason why I emphasize irritation so much in my previous messages to you is because irritation=inflammation=acne. So, although BHA is good for whiteheads and AHA is good for red marks, they only do what they are supposed to do when your skin is in the right mood (i.e. not irritated). I also believe that irritation is one of the main reasons why a lot of people keep on having problems w/all these products that are claimed by many to be 'working well'; I suspect that they're not using it correctly (either too many different products or too much of one products).

So, this is what I would do if I were you: During this time when you're on accutane, leave your skin alone(except for moisturizer and sunscreen) and let accutane do its job. You can try this for about a week to see if your bumps will decrease in #. I have a feeling they will. I'm pretty sure the redness will subside greatly. Regarding the red marks, I would treat it after finishing accutane(one thing at a time). If you're lucky, you might not even have to treat it since accutane may take care of most of them like it did for me.

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #11

frogprince,

I forgot to answer your question about the glycolic peel. I don't know whether age is a problem, but I'm sure that you can NOT use it when you're on Accutane. All the dermatologists that had treated me w/Accutane warned me to wait half a year after stopping Accutane before I use anything strong like a peel. About 6 years ago, I had a very light AHA peel 3 months after finishing Accutane, and I got really bad hyperpigmentation. I was lucky that I didn't scar, which was supposed to happen. Does your dermatologist know about all the products you are currently using and thinking of using?

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-08-2003, 07:49 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
since u think that i'm on too many products
this is what i think i am going to do.

dump all the products

and only use cetaphil cleanser and moustirizer.

what do u think?

Old 09-08-2003, 09:21 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
Wink

HI Frogprince!!!

I have been on accutane for 8 weeks now. I ONLY use Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser from day 1. Thats it, and sometimes the cetaphil moisturizer. My skin is clear soft and beautiful. With accutane you don't need those other products you mentioned at all. They might even make your skin worse. With the accutane I noticed my skin is sensative, i would never dream of putting salicylic acid and aha on it right now! hope that helps!! good luck :-)

Old 09-08-2003, 11:04 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
hey bunny9987

thanks for the reply

well... most of my acne has cleared... in fact, my face is almost flat. But i have a problem wtih light blemishes, marks, and some redness from previous acne. My skin is soft... but it just looks rough. What are ur recommendations? Do you have any recommendations for any good EFFECTIVE mark remover? Its good to hear that we have both in accutane for 8 weeks. I'm really happy for you that your skin has cleared. I'm kinda in the same situation as you, except that i have all these marks left.

another question - do u use sunblock? if u do... what product?

Old 09-08-2003, 03:48 PM   #15

Hi frogprince,

Pls. don't throw away those products. Although I've only used Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Enhanced Creme and really love it, the products that you have may all be very good ones. It's just not the right 'time' to use them. You make find them very useful (esp. Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Enhanced Creme for red marks) AFTER you finish Accutane. Pls. don't ever skip cleanser and sunscreen. Your marks and redness will worsen without sunscreen.

Closed Thread