It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
(female)

hmj211 HB User
Can someone give me some advice on Spiro? It's drying out my hair (rop)

I was on Accutane for two years and went off of it about 6-8 months ago, but still had moderate cystic acne. One week ago I started taking 50 mg Aldactone and now my hair is brittle, my forehead skin is flaky, and my scalp is itchy. Usually I have a somewhat oily scalp/skin with moderately oily roots/dry ends two days after shampooing/conditioning. I usually have to use a clarifying shampoo at least twice a week b/c my hair is (usually) oily. I don't use any other hair products (mousse, gel, etc.) besides shampoo and conditioner. I'd say I shower/shampoo three or four times a week.

Now I'm 10 mg methylphenidate, 50 mg sertraline (Zoloft), a chewable multivitamin/mineral supplement, and two iron gel capsules per day (to help with anemia). I list this in case any other Spiro users here can advise me (or anyone else with anemia--I read somewhere on this site that zinc can cancel out absorption of iron and have been taking the multivitamin with the over-the-counter iron gel caps, and also realize that what benefits my hair might also help with other general conditions).

What can I take to help counteract what is happening to my hair and skin? I haven't noticed many benefits of the drug for the acne yet, but am noticing the side effects right away. Google searches on "dry hair" and "Aldactone" haven't been helpful. I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by hmj211; 02-07-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: title not clear

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User
Re: Just started taking 50 mg Aldactone (or Spironolactone) for acne/facial hair (rea

Yes, Accutane really takes a terrible toll on your hair especially if you dye it too when taking the Accutane. It will take 2 years to really get good hair again. You are on such a low dose now of Spiro, that i doubt it has too much to do with your dry hair. I suspect that the other doseage has done this. Omega 3, water, salmon, fish and walnuts are good for your diet to hydrate.You will actually have better hair and clear skin in 5 months. Not too much before then. My guess is that you are stil getting over Acctane side effects and the Spiro is drying you too. It's the only way to clear hormonally vunerable skin. Also if you still had somewhat oily skin and scalp while on Accutane, then it didn't do the job too well and I suspect that is why you still have cystic acne. People have taken a combo of Accutane and Spiro to get rid of acne too. I dyed my hair and it remained brittle a long time before starting Spiro a year later.
All you can do is hydrate your body and condition your hair. You just went from one drying med to the next.

Last edited by kilgore52; 02-08-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
(female)

hmj211 HB User
Re: Just started taking 50 mg Aldactone (or Spironolactone) for acne/facial hair (rea

Thank you for the reply. What supplements or nutrients (i.e. Co Q 10, vitamin E and C, flax seed oil, horsetail, etc.) can I pursue to help my hair and skin while I'm on this?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

Omega 3 was high on the list and just trimming and conditioning the hair. There are so many tips on nutrition when you search Accutane. Investigate them. I do know that time heals the hair and Spiro will help too. Just keep searching. I don't think that there is a miracle cure for the hair except the naturals oils like olive oils, omega3's,vitamins for the hair... like the hair vitamins that they sell. I also know that highlights and bleaching are not good at this time. Good Luck. It gets better

Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

Accutaneatfifty HB User

Fish oil
Flax Seed oil
Evening Primrose oil
All wonderful, and, a probiotic will help digest all that you take.

I'm always weary of iron supplements, (but am not anemic).

Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

hmj211 HB User

I've read elsewhere that biotin will aggravate my acne. Won't fish oil and other things that increase oil production?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

Not really while you are on Accutane

Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
(female)

hmj211 HB User

I'm no longer on Accutane though....only Spiro. A SMALL dose of Spiro. So small that I can't tell if it's actually offsetting the acne or not (my breakouts after coming off Accutane and before Aldactone come up, cluster on one part of my face, heal 75% in a week, and then I'd get a new one somewhere else).

Since starting Aldactone about two weeks ago I've noticed that I need to pee more often and my hair is crispier and weaker . I'm worried about taking anything new and it's interference with what I'm already taking (a multivitamin, iron, Zoloft, 10 mg of methylphenidate, and the Aldactone).

I've heard Saw Palmetto is good for those experiencing hair loss but I've also read it contributes to unwanted body hair...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

100 up to 150 to 200mgs of Spiro is good for cystic acne. 5 months and you will be clear. lots of water and fish oil is good. Going to the bathroom is normal and your hair will become better with Spiro not with Accutane. Accutane really dries the hair. You just have to be patient and visit your doctor. I personally wouldn't mix herbs with this

Last edited by kilgore52; 02-12-2010 at 06:06 AM.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
(female)

sassy06 HB User

my sister has been on both accutane and yasmin I haven't noticed any difference in her hair but then again she hasn't been on it for as long as you were.

Last edited by sassy06; 02-26-2010 at 03:59 AM.

Closed Thread