It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User
Best over the counter cleanser & moisturizer?

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions as to what the best over the counter cleaners and/or moisturizers are for adult cystic acne?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Best over the counter cleanser & moisturizer?

There isnt realy any "best"..... what is best for me might not be best for you etc.

Cetaphil is great for dry skin, as it doesnt strip the skin, it actualy moisturises while you wash.

A detergent clenser is good for oily skin, Phisoderm is a popular brand that doesnt cost the earth. Hibiclens is a detergent clenser that is also germicidal, some acne sufferers love it.

As for moisturisers, somthing oil free is good, Neutrogena make some good ones that are reasonable priced..... its usualy a matter of trying a few out and finding what suits your skin.

I presume you are being treated by a doctor for your cystic acne?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

No, the only thing the doctor tried to give me was the birth control pill, Diane35. The only time my acne clears up is when I'm taking an antibiotic for a sinus infection!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Are you using anthing on your acne at all?

If you arnt, I would buy some 5% benzoyl peroxide gel from the pharmacy and some Nutrogena Rapid Cleap Acne Defence Lotion.

I wash my face and apply the benzoyl peroxide at night, then wash my face again and apply the Nutrogena in the morning. This keeps my face acne free, and isnt too drying.

Of course, what works for me might not be whats best for you, so you might need to chap and change a bit, but if you have bad acne, i would definatly be using somthing to help control it.

Last edited by jonnstar; 03-10-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

I've been using Proavtiv but recently switched to Neutrogena's Pore Refining cleanser...and it's helping...but I'm never 'acne free'. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

My suggestion would be:

at night, wash face with cetaphil (or the store brand generic) and apply 5% benzoyl peroxide over all the effected areas, then in the morning

wash face with cetaphil and apply nutrogena rapid clear acne defence lotion over all the effected areas

(this is what I do, and it works realy well for me)
if the skin is dry, a light moisturiser (such as cetaphil moisturising lotion) can be applied ontop.

this might make the acne worse for a week or so, before it starts to get better

if there hasnt been a significant improvement after say 6 weeks, then its time to visit the doctor for medical treatment

Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
(female)

chongo HB User

Right... A Benzyl Peroxide cream would probably be the best treatment for acne. It sheds the first layer of skin off the face (dont worry i no its sounds violent) removing the dead skin blocking your pores...
As for the 3 cleaner toner and moisturiser. If your have oily skin, go for products that contain Alcohol as this would dry up the oil that causes spots. If you have dry skin avoid Alcohol based products as these can really dry your skin and could aggravate it.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
(female)

Linsey1 HB User

Hi are you not able to get antibiotics all the time if they have worked in the past? Sorry if that's a silly question I'm in UK and I'm on antibiotics although they haven't cured my acne they do help.Also can you buy Duac Cream my dermatologist says it's a very good product I've just started to use it so can't give a personal opinion just yet! Hope this might help you.

Closed Thread