It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #1

Jess0018 HB User
Post Bactrim, Tazorac

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with these two medications. I just went to a new derm and he switched my medications to these and one other that I can not remember the name of.

I had previously been using doryx(doxycycline), differin, and Benzaclin which I had been using for 2 years without much satisfaction.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:36 PM   #2
(female)

gobbleduck HB User
Bactrim worked great for me, but you should not take it long term. You should also get blood tests while you're on it because it can cause low blood counts. My current derm does not prescribe Bactrim to acne patients for this reason.

I just started using Tazorac myself so I can't comment much on it. It seems to work about the same as Differin, but with less oiliness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
Hi,

I'm on Tazorac--just switched from retin-a. It's supposed to be stronger than retin-a, at least that's what my derm said. I guess it takes time. I can't really give you advice on how well it works bc I'm pms, and it's spring-and for some reason, I always break-out in Spring.

I did try it before, and it was awesome!! It made my usually oily skin, perfectly balanced. They were samples-1%, but now I have .5%, and I need to go back to 1% since it worked better. (They give me samples, and they only had 5% on hand.)

I used to take Dynacin, which worked wonders, but ran out, and it's really expensive, so now they have me on Doryx(doxy). Unfortunately, I have to pay for meds, so I rely on them giving me samples, and sometimes they don't have what is best for me.

Once you come off the bactrim, you should ask for Dynacin(mino), it's good.

Good Luck.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 03-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #4

Jess0018 HB User
Thanks for the replies and anymore are welcome.

I've been on the combination for a week and haven't noticed much difference.

My derm didn't say anything about blood tests but I go back in 6 weeks. He said if this doesn't work we will have to go the nastier route, I am not sure what that means exactly.

I went to the other derm for almost 4 years but he relocated maybe a good thing for me.

Over the years I was on several topicals Retin-A, Klaron, Cleocin-T, Benzoyl Peroxide, Avita and some others I was also on Minocycline, and doxy both the generic and brand name doryx, they never had a long lasting effect if they had one at all.

I am starting to get sick of taking antibiotics, so hopefully this will come to an end soon.

Old 03-17-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran

EMMANUEL HB User
I'm sick of antibiotics too. I hope one day I won't need them.

Peace

~*Emma*~

Old 03-19-2003, 04:47 PM   #6

Jess0018 HB User
Question

Anyone else have any imput?

Old 03-19-2003, 06:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
My daugher has been on Bactrim for a little over a year. She cleared almost immediately on this stuff after no luck with other antis. Minicin made her feel sick unfortunatley. I think it was working well, however.

Old 03-20-2003, 07:42 AM   #8

Jess0018 HB User
Question

Thanks for the reply I have a couple of questions.

Did your daughter have to get any type of blood testing? And what is her dosage?

Old 10-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #9

coug4life HB User
Unhappy

Derm put me on tazorac .1 cream and bactrim DS for 3 weeks now...no improvement whatsoever yet I'm hoping that maybe it will take some time to kick in , but I'm starting to get worried that this isn't going to work. Was on minocycline & retin-a which worked well for 3 months then suddenly stopped working.

Old 10-04-2003, 08:51 PM   #10
(female)

el_9_el HB User
I was on bactrim for 3 months and didn't have any bloodwork done. I cleared up amazingly while on it, but I attribute the improve to spiro which i began at the same time. Who knows which one worked, but I'm no longer on bactrim and am still on spiro and am clear. If you're sick of antibiotics (and are female), you should really try spiro (before accutane which I suspect is your derm's idea of the "nastier route". I feel like I'm always raving about spiro on this board, but if I could show you pics of the results I had with it, you really would be amazed and convinced it was worth a shot.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:29 AM   #11

~Cansu~ HB User
I've been taking Bactrim for 20 days. I'm also on Retin-A, which is a retinoid like Tazorac. I'm still breaking out but not as bad. At least, I'm not getting any new cysts.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #12

stockboy HB User
gobbleduck :"Bactrim worked great for me, but you should not take it long term. You should also get blood tests while you're on it because it can cause low blood counts. My current derm does not prescribe Bactrim to acne patients for this reason. "

Dammit, I took 500mg twice daily for 2 years, quit last year. worked great, but I did in fact develop bad blood. I havent had my blood done recently, but if it's still bad, do you know how I can rectify? I mean, it has been 1 year, should my blood be better by now?

Old 10-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #13

tjean HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by el_9_el:
I was on bactrim for 3 months and didn't have any bloodwork done. I cleared up amazingly while on it, but I attribute the improve to spiro which i began at the same time. Who knows which one worked, but I'm no longer on bactrim and am still on spiro and am clear. If you're sick of antibiotics (and are female), you should really try spiro (before accutane which I suspect is your derm's idea of the "nastier route". I feel like I'm always raving about spiro on this board, but if I could show you pics of the results I had with it, you really would be amazed and convinced it was worth a shot.
What is spiro? Where and how do you get it?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2003, 10:45 AM   #14

knut HB User
I've taken both. The bactrim cleared me up rather quickly when I took it before, but I didn't take it long term. I'm taking it again now, along with Yasmin.

The tazorac was too harsh for me when I tried it before as I have very sensitive, pale skin. I'm trying something now, where I put it on and leave it for a minute or two, and then rinse it off. Nothing miraculous yet, but at least I'm not beet red and peeling like crazy from it.

Old 10-24-2003, 04:51 AM   #15
(female)

el_9_el HB User
tjean, spiro is a diuretic, taken as a tablet daily...but also has anti-androgen effects which is why people use it in the treatment of acne and some people use it to treat excess hair growth. If your acne is a consequence of hormones, this drug really can do wonders.
I had it prescribed to me by an endocrinologist...but some people at this forum order it over the net i think. The brand name of the version I use is Aldactone. There is word of a topical version too.
Let me know if you decide to give it a shot.
Good luck,
el

Closed Thread