It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

calisunchick HB User
Question Cyst removal

I've had a marble-sized (at some points larger) cyst on my face for almost 6 months. I've had it injected with cortisone 6 times. Each time the inflammation went down, only to return again within a week or two. It is near the side of my nose where my cheek starts, so it's terribly visible and has been a big hit to my self esteem for half a year.

My derm has now referred me to a plastic surgeon to have the cyst removed, as it seems to be a sebaceous cyst. I'm wondering if anyone else has had one of these procedures to remove a cyst on their face - either wide excision, minimal excision or punch biopsy?
If so, what was your experience and your results?

I've had cystic acne for 15+ years, and this is the first time I've had to have one surgically removed. They've all eventually gone away with cortisone injections. The unfortunate part is that after dozens of different medications and treatments over the years (including 3 courses of accutane) - none of which worked at all - I was recently put on spironolactone and it has worked miracles. I haven't had a new cyst since starting it, just this one that has recurred since before I started treatment.

This cyst has been inflamed, infected and injected so many times that I fear they may have to go with the wide excision, which results in major scarring. I was so excited about my new clear skin, and now it looks as though I'll have a permanent scar following this procedure. I'm a little sad about that.

If anyone has been through this I'd really appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Last edited by calisunchick; 04-05-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
(female)

Tammy12571 HB User
Re: Cyst removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisunchick View Post
I've had a marble-sized (at some points larger) cyst on my face for almost 6 months. I've had it injected with cortisone 6 times. Each time the inflammation went down, only to return again within a week or two. It is near the side of my nose where my cheek starts, so it's terribly visible and has been a big hit to my self esteem for half a year.

My derm has now referred me to a plastic surgeon to have the cyst removed, as it seems to be a sebaceous cyst. I'm wondering if anyone else has had one of these procedures to remove a cyst on their face - either wide excision, minimal excision or punch biopsy?
If so, what was your experience and your results?

I've had cystic acne for 15+ years, and this is the first time I've had to have one surgically removed. They've all eventually gone away with cortisone injections. The unfortunate part is that after dozens of different medications and treatments over the years (including 3 courses of accutane) - none of which worked at all - I was recently put on spironolactone and it has worked miracles. I haven't had a new cyst since starting it, just this one that has recurred since before I started treatment.

This cyst has been inflamed, infected and injected so many times that I fear they may have to go with the wide excision, which results in major scarring. I was so excited about my new clear skin, and now it looks as though I'll have a permanent scar following this procedure. I'm a little sad about that.

If anyone has been through this I'd really appreciate any info.

Thanks!
You can go on YouTube and watch videos removing subaceous cysts so you kind of know what to expect. It is very informative. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
(male)

l2vans HB User
Re: Cyst removal

My mother had a marble-sized cyst on her forehead.
She was referred to a plastic-surgeon and it was removed, very quickly.
They cut the skin on the cyst, to reveal it, then they pick it out.
They stitch you back up and then you have a recovery process.
Your head WILL hurt for a while afterwards, but my mother has had no further problems.
Good luck.

Closed Thread