It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
(male)

derekm HB User
Exclamation Question for anyone who took Accutane as a teenager or child?

Hi there

I took Accutane when I was 15 years old,for severe acne. I took it for 6 months, starting at 0.5mg per kg per day and going up to 1mg per kg per day.
I've recently read some reports on the internet which claim that Accutane can lead to the premature fusion of the growth plates in teenagers and younger patients, which stunts their growth.

I'm worried about this becuase I feel that I haven't grown since taking Accutane. I'm still 5'7.
I'm unsure of whether this was a result of Accutane or whether I just naturally stopped growing.

Therefore I'm looking to hear from the experiences of anyone else who took Accutane as a teenager or preteen.
Did you grow in height at all ( even a cm or so) during and after taking Accutane?
How many months did you take Accutane for and what dosage were you put on?

I hope you can appreciate this issue of considerable concern to me, so any help you can give me would be great or if you know of anyone who took Accutane as a teenager or kid, that would be great too.

Thanks

Last edited by derekm; 04-19-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Question for anyone who took Accutane as a teenager or child?

My son took accutane when he was 16/16 for about 3 months, and also predisone. He is now 38 and a very tall and happily married husband/father.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
(male)

willy789 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekm View Post
Hi there

I took Accutane when I was 15 years old,for severe acne. I took it for 6 months, starting at 0.5mg per kg per day and going up to 1mg per kg per day.
I've recently read some reports on the internet which claim that Accutane can lead to the premature fusion of the growth plates in teenagers and younger patients, which stunts their growth.

I'm worried about this becuase I feel that I haven't grown since taking Accutane. I'm still 5'7.
I'm unsure of whether this was a result of Accutane or whether I just naturally stopped growing.

Therefore I'm looking to hear from the experiences of anyone else who took Accutane as a teenager or preteen.
Did you grow in height at all ( even a cm or so) during and after taking Accutane?
How many months did you take Accutane for and what dosage were you put on?

I hope you can appreciate this issue of considerable concern to me, so any help you can give me would be great or if you know of anyone who took Accutane as a teenager or kid, that would be great too.

Thanks

I took accutane as as a teen for an extended period of time. I can't remember the dosage. However, I'm 32 now and six foot 2 (the tallest in my family). It didn't stunt my growth.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
(male)

Kie24 HB User

I'm right there with ya Derek.

I was 15 when I was given roaccutane for 5 months--after exhausting most other treatments for my pizza face. Luckily, I was a decent height for that age, standing 5 11' -6', quite confident I still had another 3-5 years to grow, but, looking back on my treatment I can only describe it as a disaster. Not only did it make my acne much-much worse, but, after 5 years I can also see that I haven't grown an inch since theneither (I'm 20 now). I haven't been for x-rays or anything, but its quite obvious I'm still the same height-- and I'd certainly been sprowting up quite healthily until that point. If I knew that was a possibility I would never have touched the stuff. Although I do acknowledge these are rare side effects, I think they are too long term to warrant taking the risk just to relieve what really is temporary/natural acne in adolescents, it shouldn't be given to anyone younger than 21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kie24 For This Useful Post:
accutane1 (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
(male)

accutane1 HB User

hello.how you feelingnow..do u get breakouts..please reply

The Following User Says Thank You to accutane1 For This Useful Post:
Jacy56 (04-02-2012)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
(male)

Andreesu HB User

I have not been to this health boards in about 8 years or more. I remember the days where I had a face full of zits, it was the worst time in my life, it hurst every time I think about it. My experience with accutane was incredible, I honestly thank god at least once a month........It feels great not to have acne at all....it literally cured the disease....it worked great for me......but I understand that not everyone has this results. As far as my growth, I am 6feet tall....it made me a bit depressed but only while I was taking it. If you have not taken accutane yet, please do so.......I tried everything else you can possible think of..........Best of luck to everyone.

Closed Thread