It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2003, 09:04 AM   #1

TayRayUF HB User
Exclamation Acne and Iodine

I take a Multi-vitamin with 100mg of Iodine in it.. I hear that Iodine is another cause of acne.. I wonder how much is enough and if I should take any at all.. Anybody know a good multi-vitamin to take? Does Iodine even have any health benefits?

Old 01-21-2003, 02:52 PM   #2

CroquetGirl HB User
Hi, I'm not sure which multivitamins do and don't have iodine, but I have my own new theory about acne and iodine. Iodine is needed for metabolism. Having more iodine doesn't mean you will have a faster metabolism, but having too little does mean that you will have a slow metabolism. The thing I find odd about this is the iodine/acne connection. People were posting before about how it's usually thin (fast metabolism) people with acne, and I think that if that is true, then having too much iodine could also lead to acne. But all of this is just my speculation!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2003, 07:32 PM   #3
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
i have fast metabolism and am thin and have mild acne, used to be worse

Old 10-26-2003, 12:17 PM   #4

daledale HB User
i have always been a little anal-retentive when it comes to acne. up until i was 19 years old, i got a few pimples here and there and at no time was my face perfectly clear. around 19 i started taking a vitamin supplement, not for my acne, but for nutrition. apparently my acne gradually worsened, but i didnt tie the two together. for a couple months after that, i related my acne to the depression medicine i began taking around the same time as the vitamin supplement and then the vitamin supplement came to mind as a possible cause of acne for me. 8 months after i started the multivitamin, i did a search on the internet to see if there was any affiliation. it turns out, yes. excessive amounts of iodine seep out the pores and flare them up. americans get very high amounts of iodine because of our high consumption of iodized salt. seafoods (ESPECIALLY KELP! we're talkin 10x's more iodine in kelp than any other food) also contain higher levels of iodine. my vitamin supplied 150mcg of iodine (100% RDA). i thought, what the heck, and stopped taking my vitamin supplement. my face went back to how it was before it got bad. it's now to the point that i am grateful to only have one or two zits. the few signs of acne i have are minimal and not extremely noticeable.
so the moral is, lay off the iodine and see what happens. whether it be from salty foods or supplements.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
(male)

Queen Toof HB User
I took a multi vitamin two different times for nutritional purposes and both times my face broke out and it took almost a month to get my face clear again. I'll NEVER take another multi vitamin for that reason. There is something in them that cause major breakouts.

------------------
Dana {=c)

Old 10-26-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User
I take a lot of nutrition courses for my major and have learned that you really do not need a supplement that has extra iodine in it. Our foods have enough salt in them (which is already iodized) that we get over enough usually!!! I take Women's One a Day and it has no iodine in it, you might one to try that brand.

Old 10-26-2003, 03:28 PM   #7
(male)

Queen Toof HB User
I took the Centrum Woman's 1 A day and that is the brand that made me break out twice. I don't know what is in it but what ever you do don't use that one.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
(male)

SeaweedRy HB User
Re: Acne and Iodine

I don't know much about acne but here's what I know about the Iodine: Iodine is the main component of the hormone produced by the thyroid gland, which regulates our metabolism - thyroid hormone accelerates cellular reactions, increases oxygen consumption and basal metabolism, and influences growth and development, energy metabolism, differentiation and protein synthesis. Healthy thyroids should spill out excess Iodine. Iodine is needed by every single cell in the body and is also a component of all other hormones. Since toxic halides, such as bromine, chlorine, and perchlorate will attach to the iodine receptor sites, having a full body compliment of this element will help your body flush such toxins out of it's system. Once again I know nothing of what actually causes acne, but hopefully this might help someone who knows how acne develops create a connection.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
(female)

fromboo2you HB User

I'm not a dermatologist but I went to one! Anyway, I have been on 3 Wilderness trips where we had to purify our water with iodine- I normally have clear skin- after every trip I had two weeks of the most awful acne- whiteheads, pimples, cysts, all of it- my doc said it was an "allergy" to the iodine. This also explains why my face tends to break out when I spend time in our pool which has a salt chlorinator- it always coincides...just my thoughts on it. I think some people have an extra sensitivity to it and I am 100% convinced it's real. Makes me wonder about bottled water...I swear my face breaks out more when I am downing bottled water than when I use the tap...

Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
(male)

guitarplayer HB User

I used to take a multivitamin and my skin did get worse if I remember correctly. I took it until the bottle ran out and then I just didn't get anymore. I don't know if it had iodine, it had just 100% rda of several things (so not a mega-multi) at the time I attributed the problem to just poor quality vitamins, they were after all just cheap generic store-brand vitamins. I do take a few single vitamins at the moment like zinc and vitamin A, but haven't had a problem with these I don't think.

The Following User Says Thank You to guitarplayer For This Useful Post:
Crazytrain (09-22-2012)
Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
(male)

Fiasco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromboo2you View Post
I'm not a dermatologist but I went to one! Anyway, I have been on 3 Wilderness trips where we had to purify our water with iodine- I normally have clear skin- after every trip I had two weeks of the most awful acne- whiteheads, pimples, cysts, all of it- my doc said it was an "allergy" to the iodine. This also explains why my face tends to break out when I spend time in our pool which has a salt chlorinator- it always coincides...just my thoughts on it. I think some people have an extra sensitivity to it and I am 100% convinced it's real. Makes me wonder about bottled water...I swear my face breaks out more when I am downing bottled water than when I use the tap...

Wow! I noticed the same thing, anytime I drink "purified water" My face breaks out excessively

Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
(female)

kikki277 HB User

I have had the same problem from iodine. I realized it many years back when i was desperate to figure out why i was constantly breaking out in cysts. I researched it online and found info. about the iodine/acne connection. I checked what was in my vitamins and sure enough there was lots of iodine. My acne improved as soon as i stopped taking them (but i'm stuck with big scars for the rest of my life). now i'm super paranoid about iodine and try hard to avoid it, which isn't easy as most restaurants use iodized salt.

ps-stay away from mcdonalds, they use iodized salt and ask when you go out to eat (that is if you know it doesn't agree with you). another thing- i have recently found that ice cream (creamies) has been giving me cysts. i stopped eating it at the beginning of the summer and haven't had a cyst since.

good luck to all my fellow acne sufferers.

Closed Thread