It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2001, 06:49 PM   #1

JASMINNE HB User
Does ORTHO-TRICYCLEN really help acne?

I've tried a lot of treatments to get my acne under control. Nothing really worked to my full satisfaction. One thing I didn't try was birth control pills. I want to try ortho-tricyclen but a lot of women say it doesn't really work. In fact their acne got worse after the pill. Any feedback please!

Old 06-06-2001, 09:45 PM   #2

keri12 HB User
Re: Does ORTHO-TRICYCLEN really help acne?

Hey there,

I've been on ortho-tricyclen for a year now. I must say that it did help, but it did not completely clear my skin. I recently started taking b5 (5gm/day) and everything looks great now.
Have you considered Dianne-35? This pill deals with lowering the androgen level in your system (which is thought to cause acne). It seems like many women are having great results with it! I have considered giving it a go, but I seem to be doing ok with what I'm using right now.
Everybody is different. Sometimes it takes a bit of switching between brands to find the one that is right for you!

Good luck!
Keri

ps. Apparently Dianne-35 isn't available in the USA (in case you're considering going that route). You may need to find someone else on this board who can tell you where to order it from online.<p>[This message has been edited by keri12 (edited 06-06-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2001, 09:58 PM   #3

sujenke HB User

Ortho-tricyclen didn't help my skin at all, but it did cause all kinds of other trouble (moodiness, nausea, etc.) so I definitely wouldn't recommend using it simply to clear up your skin.

Good luck!

------------------
Sujenke

Old 06-06-2001, 11:15 PM   #4

karen14 HB User

jasminne,

ortho-tri-cyclen was the worst thing i ever did for/to my skin.

i read a study (at an obgyn's office) that 23% of OTC users said their skin got much worse since they were on it, while desogen and mircette bcp had much more success in helping with acne.

karen

Old 06-06-2001, 11:16 PM   #5

karen14 HB User

jasminne,

ortho-tri-cyclen was the worst thing i ever did for/to my skin.

i read a study (at an obgyn's office) that 23% of OTC users said their skin got much worse since they were on it, while desogen and mircette bcp had much more success in helping with acne.

karen

Old 06-06-2001, 11:52 PM   #6

Smile123 HB User

Yeah.. its didn't help at all. Those commericals are very convincing though...

Old 06-07-2001, 06:50 AM   #7

JASMINNE HB User

Thank you all for your feedback. Just as I thought...this pill doesn't really work(for most women). I think I'll do more research on Diane-35.

Thanks again,
Jasminne

Old 06-07-2001, 07:28 AM   #8

Jersey Girl HB User

Try taking it for 3 months then make the determination if it works. Many will say it doesn't and many say that it does work for them. Everyone is DIFFERENT!!! If moodiness is a problem, try OrthoCyclen which has the same level of hormones throughout the cycle, instead of fluctuating hormones. Trust me, you don't know until you try...

Old 06-07-2001, 07:38 AM   #9

katnattoo HB User

I have been on it for 5 months with decent results. Right now, my face is the best it's been in years. I don't know exactly what is working for me. I also take Saw Palmetto (320mg) and B5 (just 2 grams to keep the oil at bay). Something is obviously working because just a few months ago, I had moderate to sometimes severe acne. I do know that I have tried MANY kinds of BCP and OTC is the first to work for me. I have had no other side effects at all and my periods are much lighter and I went from having monster cramps to none at all. So I would defintely give it try for at least 3 months, everyone responds differently. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2001, 07:56 AM   #10

Isabelle HB User

my derm told me ortho wouldn't help me- it only helps people who get the occasional minor breakouts.... if you have real acne i don't believe it makes a significant diff.

Old 06-07-2001, 09:24 AM   #11

karen14 HB User

i love that last post by isabelle... if you have real acne. F*** yeah. cause if there's one thing i'm sure of--it's that i have REAL ACNE. the kind where derms shake their heads. it's enough to make me laugh--which it does--when i'm not utterly disgusted or depressed over THE CONDITION. i think doctors use bcp so often because they are so lazy--and OTC is so well marketed to them--that's now the first thing they shove at women with adult-onset acne. they don't even have you take tests to see if you're producing too much estrogen already--which means you need to supplement your progesterone levels. taking bcp with this condition will result in severe break-out. it makes me sooooo angry.

sorry to go off topic ladies...
Isabelle...new yorker. have you had any peels or laser treatments done in nyc by chance? that's my next stop. i'm trying to find a competent AND decently priced doctor who does these procedures.

if you have any recommendations...please let me know.

thanks,

karen

Old 06-07-2001, 01:53 PM   #12

JASMINNE HB User

KAREN,

I so agree with you!!!
I spent so much money on my derm and prescriptions it makes me sick!
He never took the time to find out the real cause of my breakouts!!! After a year of treatments with different medications that did not clear up my face, I asked about hormone level test. HE SAID IT WASN'T HORMONAL! I never went back to him...

Old 09-11-2001, 08:27 PM   #13

Pipergrl17 HB User

Hi I was on otc for about 8 months and it made my skin breakout more than normal. it would be like once you start healing from a pms breakout ud be right there again. My sis took the same pill..otc for a few months and now she has broken out all over and she hardly ever broke out before this. I was thinking we might have similar chemical/ hormaonal systems since we are sisters so it might be the bcp since we were both on otc. I just picked up my prescription for desogen today so hopefully that will help.

Closed Thread