It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2001, 07:04 PM   #1

vtrav HB User
Sugar and Cystic Acne

I believe that my cystic acne has something to do with not metabolizing sugar correctly. Whenever I have sugar my cysts get really bad. I have almost cleared my face completely with a diet that is no sugar, milk, carbs or high carb fruit, it's just really hard to stick to that.. I thought I would try the birth control pill ortho tricycline,(I have a strong aversion to taking Acutane and being a test case for medical science), stopped all sugar and carbs, aspertame and msg (which seem to really make it flair up), and started taking a liquid form of Vitamin A that is 520% more absorbed than regular Vitamin A (my answer to Acutane, and yes I am watching for toxicity). After 3 months my acne was practically gone. I don't know which of these things helped, though I had cleared my skin once before on the same diet without the pills or vitamins. I stopped the birth control pills due to headaches and other stuff the ortho tri-cycline also had the added advantage of curing any food cravings I had), and was OK for a number of months, till I had a sugar binge and then it all came back with a rage! I have just started with another birth control pill, but it's not helping this time. Tomorrow I'm starting the diet again. I'm just so sick of this. It's also really hard to stick to a no sugar/carb diet. Anybody noticed anything like this?

------------------

Old 01-26-2001, 07:54 PM   #2

butterflygrl7 HB User
Re: Sugar and Cystic Acne

Yep! I sure have noticed my face is a lot clearer & I feel tons better overall when I cut out the crud in my diet. I've found when I eat all of the sugary foods (& even the saltier junk foods) my body feels so gross & I get sick a lot easier. It's just SO HARD to stick to the no sugar thing, as you have found out. Which would explain why my face isn't all that clear right now...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2001, 08:02 AM   #3

Cutie HB User

Remember the good ol days when you were 5 and all you ate was chocolate 24/7? So if food causes acne how come your face looked like a babys butt? Huh? Food doesn't cause acne!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2001, 09:05 AM   #4

Diana44 HB User

i kinda have to agree with cutie. i have been on a no sugar, low carb diet for over two and a half years. (lost over fifty pounds) my acne has never been worse. i have therefore been on accutane almost ten weeks now, and i really see some progress. i am not telling you to go out and get a prescription for accutane, but i am a good example that sugar/carbs are not related to acne.

Old 01-27-2001, 12:01 PM   #5

Loo HB User

I think different foods affect people differently. I breakout with cystic acne when I eat seafood. I don't know yet if there are any other culprits, but I am going to try to find them.

Old 01-27-2001, 06:44 PM   #6

Elisabeth HB User

I know absolutely that food and lack of water intake impacts my skin! In no uncertain terms. This holds true for many people, and I am also aware that others are not troubled with such things, although for general well being of our bodies proper food and water is always important. I can have no caffeine and must watch my sugar intake, and my water consumption must be generous. This is law for me. So, it is truly wrong for anyone to say that food does not make a difference...it certainly does, in some.

Old 01-28-2001, 08:57 AM   #7

vtrav HB User

Personally, I don't understand why it is anyone can think that food has no effect. After all, if you don't eat, you die. Food is what makes you live. It adds vitamins, etc. to your body and helps your body to create the chemicals it needs to live. Your skin is the largest organ in your body and if something is wrong from within, it is likely to show in someway without. But, that is just my view.

------------------

Old 01-28-2001, 02:08 PM   #8

MariaSkin HB User

Dear friends:
Some time ago an endocrinologist (doctor specializing in hormones) explained to me that people suffering from sugar (insulin) disorders are definitely affected by what they eat, whith symptoms such as acne and polycistic ovaries whenever they consume complex carbs.
Now, those without a sugar disorder, are generally not affected by what they eat. This is why most dermatologists say that food doesn´t cause acne, but you have to remember that this statement is only true for people with a normal hormone /insulin condition.
Also, some people might be allergic to certain foods, but that´s another issue, and you can get an allergy test to find out what you are allergic to.

Closed Thread